PDA

View Full Version : I want to know about a "broken fin".

Hawkshadow123
12-30-2009, 03:56 AM
Well, a few days before my betta (King) died, I noticed the two thin, long fins were ripped. Day after day passed by, and it got more and more worse. The remains were sadly two small pieces of fins. I treated it with the fish medicine ("Bettafix" was the name, but i do not know the company name), but it didn't work. I thought maybe because of the filter? Then, the NEXT day, he began to get fin rot on the rest of his fins. The day after that, at around 7:00 pm, I found out he had Velvet. It was a Sunday, and Petland closed at 6:00 on Sunday. The next day, he died. =(

I want to know what caused that. He was fine and healthy.

Oh and I can't upload any pics. He died and I never took and pictures when that happened.

:22:

morgangallow
12-30-2009, 04:40 AM
how big of a tank? filtration? temp? maintenance routine? the more info you give us the easier we can find the problem, sorry but i dont know what went wrong.. how long did you have him? bettafix expired? just trying to cover all the bases.

mikeDUDS
12-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Sorry to hear about your betta buddy :(

As far as finding out why, did you perform any water changes? Also, were you using any aquarium salt? Velvet is a parasite, so the best way to prevent your fish from getting it is to add aquarium salt and keeping your aquarium pristine by performing regular water changes especially when you think he/she is sick. This goes for fin rot as well. Also fin rot is a fungal disease. As far as I know betta fix is an anti-bacterial, so adding betta fix may not have been doing anything to help, but I could be wrong.

annageckos
12-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your betta. Some bettas are just more prone than others to have problems. The bettas in petstores are just mass bred with no care to heath, same as pet store(puppy mill) puppies.

Northernguy
12-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:
We need more info to be able to answer your Qs.
What was your maintanence like?
Water changes,how much how often?
Did you test for perameters? Ammonia,nitrites,nitrates
Was there any other fish in the tank?
Was it cycled? How?
What were you feeding?
How did the fin get broke?
Please check out the free ebook.Its a great start.We are here to help but without knowing any history its all just guesses.

Hawkshadow123
12-30-2009, 08:24 PM
the tank was 2.5 minibow and came with a filter.
Kept the temp at around 77 F
Did 25% water change weekly
I had him for 7 months (when I got him, he was old.)
the bettafix wasn't expired.

Hawkshadow123
12-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:
We need more info to be able to answer your Qs.
What was your maintanence like?
Water changes,how much how often?
Did you test for perameters? Ammonia,nitrites,nitrates
Was there any other fish in the tank?
Was it cycled? How?
What were you feeding?
How did the fin get broke?
Please check out the free ebook.Its a great start.We are here to help but without knowing any history its all just guesses.
Well, 25% water change weekly
Um...at that time...I didn't have any test things (my dad. TT)
No other fish in tank, only him.
Um...i dont remeber if i cycled the tank (school makes me forget XP)
I feed him HBH Betta bites (2 every day) and freeze driend bloodworms(2 every 5 days) and one day without eating.

Hawkshadow123
12-30-2009, 08:30 PM
Sorry to hear about your betta buddy :(

As far as finding out why, did you perform any water changes? Also, were you using any aquarium salt? Velvet is a parasite, so the best way to prevent your fish from getting it is to add aquarium salt and keeping your aquarium pristine by performing regular water changes especially when you think he/she is sick. This goes for fin rot as well. Also fin rot is a fungal disease. As far as I know betta fix is an anti-bacterial, so adding betta fix may not have been doing anything to help, but I could be wrong.
Yes, I performed one water change (25%) every 3 days. I rarely used any aquraium salt.

Tetris
12-31-2009, 09:57 PM
It's kind of hard to forget if you cycled a tank or not, so I'm going to assume you didn't...

In which case, odds are poor water quality is what made your fish sick...

Poor water quality would actually explain most illnesses in fish...

As for why your medicine wasn't working, it's hard to say... I'm not familiar with the brand personally... Were you using carbon media in your filter? That would stop it from working... Maybe you misdiagnosed and weren't treating properly to begin with?

Just my guess though.

(Also, do not use aquarium salt... Bettas are fresh water, not brackish... They do better without the salts...)