PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant shrimps?

guppy_wootz
12-30-2009, 01:54 AM
i find one or two of my ghost shrimp (sold as feeder shrimp) have this light green colour on their underside, near the back of the body. it looks like what is in their stomach (on their heads) when they eat algae. They are always reclusive. Are they pregnant?

Btw i've had the batch for about a month or so, and ive seen about five new tiny shrimp since. :ssmile:

annageckos
12-30-2009, 01:59 AM
Shrimp don't really get 'pregnet'. You will be able to see if they are carrying eggs. It will look like tiny balls carried by the swimmeretts. I am not sure what color that speices eggs are.

Wild Turkey
12-30-2009, 02:38 AM
It does sound like she is berried (holding eggs)

Some species need brackish water to complete the cycle, some dont. If you are lucky you will have tiny shrimp in a few weeks.

You want to keep the shrimp from getting sucked into the filter so if you use an hob or canister place a sponge or nylon sock over the intakes

little hawaii
12-30-2009, 02:46 AM
from what ive read its real hard in an aquarium. Don't they need to wash out to sea to hatch?

Wild Turkey
12-30-2009, 02:54 AM
It depends on the species, ghost shrimp encompasses quite a few.

I personally dont know them well enough to tell even with a picture, but some have had them breed unexpectedly because they apparently picked up a fw species or variant.

Palaemonetes paludosus is one that can breed in freshwater IIRC

VoidParadigm
12-30-2009, 03:52 AM
Most of the ghost shrimp breeding I've heard about has been completely accidental. If she is indeed carrying (which it really sounds like), they hatch, and survive - good job. Otherwise, I can't be of much help.

I believe it's ghost shrimp who have the greenish-grey eggs. I could be wrong, of course.

CalicoGypsy
01-03-2010, 05:22 PM
As far as I know, many types of dwarf shrimp breed fairly easily as long as water conditions are kept constant and they're kept safe from predators. The female will keep the eggs under her abdomen until they hatch. It'll look like she's juggling them with her back "legs".

A young shrimp has a hard life. It can get sucked up by your filter, they might not be able to find food, they don't like fish medications and fish find them tasty if there's no place to hide. It's possible you've had a couple of broods and they've just not made it for the many reasons above.

Actually because I'm in a silly mood, here is a YouTube video of a pregnant ghost shrimp eating flakes to fancy classical music. It's hardly scientific, but it points out the eggs and you can compare. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZPCr9jfl-Y