PDA

View Full Version : Can male bettas have an ovipositor/ovipositer-like spot?

CherrySparkles
12-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Hi everyone,

I've seen some debate on sexing bettas and wanted to get your opinion. Some people say that the white ovipositor is proof positive that the betta is a female. But then I've seen others saying that male bettas can sometimes have ovipositors or ovipositor-like spots, and that it's so common that the IBC (International Betta Congress) has made having an ovipositor a disqualifying trait for a male...

It's weird to me that a fish that's otherwise outwardly male (long fins, flares with gill covers AND beard, builds bubble nests, etc.) would be called female because of a white spot.

Let me know what you think! :)

little hawaii
12-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Could be hremaphrodites from all the inbreeding.

Zenandra
12-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Males can have something that looks like an ovipositor, its very very common actually. It's not any type of reproduction organ, and it doesn't mean that the fish is a hermaphrodite, I believe it is simply an extension of the anus but I will look it up to be certain

CherrySparkles
12-29-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks so much for your replies!

Zenandra, I'm glad to hear that - I've seen a few males (including my own) who have this spot, and was getting a bit weirded out since I didn't think they could be girls... if you do look this up, please let me know what you find! Super glad to hear it's common and I'm assuming not harmful or indicative of an ill fish, etc. :)