PDA

View Full Version : Setting up new Oscar Tank

wiseowl
04-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi there,:help:
I have just bought a new 57 gallon tank for my red oscar who is currently residing in a 18 gallon tank.
My question is with regard to whether I need to cycle this new aquarium or will using the filter media from the existing aquarium make this unnecessary and allow me to introduce him to his new home immediately.
Any other advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Drumachine09
04-22-2007, 02:20 PM
You will need to cycle the tank, but using the seeded filter with seeded gravel and decor will help boost the cycle along REALLY quickly. I cycled my 10 gallon with seeded stuff in a week.

Rue
04-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Keep in mind that your new tank is only big enough for your one Oscar...no tankmates...

...you'll need at the very least, double filtration...

...and probably 50% water change weekly...

Drumachine09
04-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Keep in mind that your new tank is only big enough for your one Oscar...no tankmates...

...you'll need at the very least, double filtration...

...and probably 50% water change weekly...

Yeah, 55 is the bare minumum for ONE fish. I thought about doing it, but i couldnt provide adequate filtratrion for the sucker, so i couldnt get one. for the 50% WCs, you might want to invest on a python.

Also, wiseowl, i have a question. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

cocoa_pleco
04-22-2007, 08:30 PM
a fluval 305 would be the way to go for a oscar in a 57G.

Since youre wise, if a tree falls in the forest, and there is noone there to hear it, does it make a sound?:ezpi_wink1:

wiseowl
04-23-2007, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the help guys.
Maybe I should have said 57 UK gallons which is around 84 US gallon.
And yes it is for just the one Oscar.
Took abit of time to find what a tootsie pop is,however the answer is 413 licks on average.Hope this helps!!!
And yes a tree does make a sound (experiment conducted using remote sound recording apparatus)!!!
Once again Thanks for the infothumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
04-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Since you have a tank around 84 gallons, I think you can just add him but watch that water in a few days to make sure you won't be having any rise in ammonia. In a smaller tank, I'd say cycle first but in the size you have, that's a lot of water so you should do fine. If you could transfer over some gravel, that would help a lot, as well, or add some to a nylon and toss it in the new tank to help with the seeding.

cocoa_pleco
04-23-2007, 03:29 PM
One tip wiseowl, dont use carbon. None of my fish that are prone to hole in the head have carbon have any in their filters since it removes trace elements making them more prone to the disease. All the filter really needs is ceramic rings and sponge.

So the tree does make a sound. YAY!

wiseowl
04-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Cheers.Thanks again.:1luvu:

wiseowl
05-18-2007, 07:32 PM
Thank you all for your help with my question.
Heres a pic of my Oscar in his new home.

cocoa_pleco
05-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Thats a nice looking background!!!

hungryhound
05-18-2007, 07:45 PM
And yes a tree does make a sound (experiment conducted using remote sound recording apparatus)!!!

Are you referring to the scientific paper that quoted hockey scores as its results. If so do you have link as I have been unable to locate a copy of this paper. it is truly a great article.

Edit never mind I found it.

notice pdf
http://ontariotrees.com/humour/TimberPaper.pdf

Rue
05-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Love the background...that's what I want if I EVER set up a 75g Amazon-themed tank (thinking of a black-ghost knife)...

Tank looks good...

...you know...we have British spelling...the metric system...but still hang on to the American Imperial system...

...no wonder Canadians have an identity crisis...

cocoa_pleco
05-18-2007, 08:49 PM
lol, i say ditch the imperial system, the metric system is what the whole world is on. However, i hate the spelling, why cant we spell flavour flavor and colour color, YOU CANT EVEN HEAR THE FREAKIN U, SO WHY ADD IT??? lol

Black ghost knifes are cool! mine used to share a cave with a upside down cat and come out for food

Rue
05-18-2007, 08:54 PM
Nope...I like the British spelling...looks better...

...always thought the American way was 'lazy'...lol...

Zerileous
06-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Nope...I like the British spelling...looks better...

...always thought the American way was 'lazy'...lol...

that we are Rue...whatever is easiest eh?
:P

very nice tank wiseowl, Oscars are awesome fish who unfortunately are rarely provided with adiquate hosuing. Looks like your little buddy will be quite happy!