PDA

View Full Version : Can I keep a pleco in my goldfish tank??

AznYanTheMan
12-28-2009, 07:43 AM
Can I keep a pleco in my goldfish tank?? I wanted to try this out but I am afraid the pleco will suck on the goldfishes protective slime coating.

Help me please!!

Thanks

VoidParadigm
12-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Please only post in one section next time.
There's no worry about it not being seen, this isn't that huge of a forum.

annageckos
12-28-2009, 04:10 PM
That really depends. What size is your tank? What kind of pleco are you looking at? What is your temp. in the tank? Common plecos get really big 12-24 inches. They need a very large tank, at least a 90 gallon IMO, but larger would be better. Plecos are also tropical fish. Most need a temp of 74-80 depending on species. Some are higher some are lower.

AznYanTheMan
12-28-2009, 11:40 PM
Please only post in one section next time.
There's no worry about it not being seen, this isn't that huge of a forum.

Sorry about that
I just thought it would be easier to post 2 threads cause it had something to do with goldfish and plecos but next time I will post in one forum or sub-forum

nikkijo
02-09-2010, 02:39 AM
i have a pleco in with my goldfish and have never had a problem. plecos could latch on to any fish and suck the slime coating off but they are not aggresive so i doubt you would have any problems. i absolutly love my pleco and i think you would love one too!! good luck!

Oscar_freak12321
02-09-2010, 02:42 AM
I would say so, yes. Just be careful in the variety. I would recommend something like a bristlenose. How large is this tank?

Bristley
02-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Agree with Oscar_freak. Bristlenose stay relatively small (only get to about 4-5") rubberlip is also another good possibility. Both types stay small and shouldn't bother the goldfish too much.

Just remember that plecos eat algae, but you shouldn't rely on that as their only food source. Putting veggies in the tank for them is good. Also, plecos need driftwood to rasp on so if you don't have any in your tank already you would need to get some.

If you don't have driftwood yet and you decide you want a pleco of some kind I would recommend that you find a piece of driftwood that is appropriate for your tank and read the section on the forum about preparing driftwood to go into an aquarium.

I cannot find it myself right now. (Someone who knows exactly where it's at please post it, thanks).

Since the whole process can take about a week or more to cure the driftwood, you would have plenty of time to research the exact type of pleco that would work best with your tank.

Hope this helps.

Lady Hobbs
02-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Not only do pleco's get huge, many of the goldfish do as well and should be in ponds, not tanks. Check out the goldfish size red stickie post in the goldfish section.

Fishguy2727
02-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Bristlenose is probably the only pleco I would put in with round-bodied goldfish.

Northernguy
02-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Bristlenose is probably the only pleco I would put in with round-bodied goldfish.
I agree! They are the most passive of all the plecos.IMO
I have a common that would make you change your mind about how gentle they are.

lethfisher
07-31-2010, 05:41 PM
I am thinking of upgrading my tank and currently have 3 fantails and pond snails (ugg) and would like to get a bristlenose pleco. How big of a tank would you recommend for this setup? I am thinking 20gal for first fantail plus 10g per extra gets me to 40g then say 10g or 15g extra for the pleco gets me to 50g or 55g tank. Is that about right? Anyone know if it is better to get a long or tall tank for goldfish?

Fishguy2727
09-03-2010, 01:25 AM
Sorry so late...

Longer is always better better but fancy goldfish are a better option for hex and column tanks (although these tanks are more expensive per gallon). I think around 55 gallons is perfect.

Remember: water changes have a lot more to do with stocking than tank size does.

nightfish
09-03-2010, 01:32 AM
For a goldfish and a pleco you would need just 80 gallons for the pleco, well before it grows to godzillas size like it will, and i believe goldfish are 10-20 gallons per fish? so thats a 100gallon tank for a goldfish and a bottom feeder. you could just go with a bristlenose or clown pleco, and dont worry about the pleco fighting your goldfish, it could latch on to your fish but most likely your fish will move frantically and the pleco will zip right along. For more variety in your tank you could go with species of tetras, maybe a school of 7 would work nicely i think. hope i helped:fish:

Fishguy2727
09-03-2010, 02:11 AM
Bristlenose plecos only hit about 5", definitely don't need 80 gallons.