PDA

View Full Version : Can I keep a pleco in my goldfish tank??

AznYanTheMan
12-28-2009, 07:42 AM
Can I keep a pleco in my goldfish tank?? I wanted to try this out but I am afraid the pleco will suck on the goldfishes protective slime coating.

Help me please!!

Thanks

VoidParadigm
12-28-2009, 08:16 AM
There have been mixed results with this kind of pairing. I personally think you could do it, so long as your tank is big enough.

If you want to make sure the pl*co doesn't suck the slime coating, though, you could set up a nightlight or a blue bulbed light in the same room as the tank so that if the nocturnal pl*co did start sucking on it, the goldfish would be able to see well enough to get away.

In my personal opinion if a goldfish is healthy enough it should be able to move away without problem from a pl*co trying to touch it, not to mention be able to produce more than enough slime for itself even with the occasional suck.

KatzeSlaugen
12-28-2009, 10:32 PM
There have been mixed results with this kind of pairing. I personally think you could do it, so long as your tank is big enough.

If you want to make sure the pl*co doesn't suck the slime coating, though, you could set up a nightlight or a blue bulbed light in the same room as the tank so that if the nocturnal pl*co did start sucking on it, the goldfish would be able to see well enough to get away.

In my personal opinion if a goldfish is healthy enough it should be able to move away without problem from a pl*co trying to touch it, not to mention be able to produce more than enough slime for itself even with the occasional suck.

+1

ide also like to add the type of goldfish also comes into play. if you have say a pearlscale or ranchu (or similar slow moving goldfish) i would say its riskys as even if your fish does try to swim away it may not really be able to "shake" the pleco off. if its a oranda or ryukin or comet/shubunkin i dont see a problem with it at all. just keep an eye out and if you see the pleco being aggressing or reddish "hickeys" on your goldfish you may want to consider returning it or moving it to another tank.
also dont get a common pleco unless you want a fish that reaches easily 12" if your looking for good algae cleaners rubber lips and bristlenose plecos are great and stay small.

only get a pleco if you really want and like them if your having issues with algae there are other ways to go about getting rid of it. do you have your lights on too long? change the water frequently enough to get rid of excess nutrients? im sure there are many other things that cause algae but thats all i can think of right now

Scrup
12-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Another thing to know is that most pleco's learn to eat fish slime because they are hungry. keep it well fed and you will help to avoid problems.

little hawaii
12-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Just make sure it has a house and enough to eat, at night drop in a few shrimp pellets or chop it up some worms.

scatz
12-29-2009, 04:11 PM
what temperature is your tank set at?
goldfish are generally cold water fish, while plecs are tropical