PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bad idea?

Fre nchy
04-22-2007, 03:07 AM
I've got a 50 gallon tank with 3 Discus (one 4-5", one 3-4", and one about an inch long) with two Angelfish (both about 6-8"), two Silver Tipped Catfish (5" each) a 4 inch senegalus bichir, 4 kuhli Loach (3") and two plecos, one about 9 or 10 inches the other about 4". Would it be a bad idea to put a 10" Dragon Goby in there? Also, what would the best water conditions be for this setup?

cocoa_pleco
04-22-2007, 04:09 AM
Dont add anything more, youre overstocked. The plecos are going to get big.

As for water conditions, the discus like soft amazon conditions. I dont know how your other fish would react to soft water

Rue
04-22-2007, 04:12 AM
Yes, discus really need to be the focus of their tank...you can have other compatible fish as well if you like...but the set-up has to be for the discus...and they're a skittish black-water fish...so lots of plants, water high in tannins and soft...

cocoa_pleco
04-22-2007, 04:14 AM
for tannins, get a piece of driftwood and lightly rinse it, dont soak it. That way, the tannins get into your water

Chrona
04-22-2007, 04:20 AM
I'd keep an eye on the discus too. You usually either get a pair or 6 or more, so that they don't pick on any fish in particular. The two larger ones may well bully the third to death.

Plecos in a discus tank is usually a bad idea period. They are massive waste producers, and discus (especially juvenile discus) require extremely clean water, meaning weekly or twice a week 25% water changes, along with at least two feedings a day for the discus.

Discus also prefer much higher temperatures than most of the fish you have there, like mid 80's.

Best condition would be very soft, slightly acidic water. An RO unit helps a lot when keeping discus.

cocoa_pleco
04-22-2007, 04:55 AM
and flat fish sometimes get sucked on my plecos

Fre nchy
04-22-2007, 10:50 PM
I have some Discus Buffer stuff and I keep the ph around 6.4-6.8 (just transferred them from a 35 gallon to a new tank). I just bought the little one and one of them bullies him but that guy gets beat by the bigger one and he's with the little one all the time. As for my other fish, they've all been with us for awhile except for the kuhli loach, Bichir, small Pleco and the Dragon Goby. I'm trying to figure out some good parameters for the water to accompany all of them. I have a 35 (I just drained today) so if I ever need to I can setup a tank for my Discus only (which I plan to do in the future). Someone told me awhile back that Cory's and Loach's can't have too much salt (I put quite a bit of salt in) or any at all. The loach's don't flutter around as much as they do in large numbers (there is only 4, I went back to get more later and they sold out already).