PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Shrimp diet

Bellie816
12-25-2009, 03:13 PM
What do ghost shrimp eat? The shrimp pellets (are they made out of shrimp...or meant for shrimp lol) or the algae wafers?

Fishguy2727
12-25-2009, 03:15 PM
All my shrimp get New Life Spectrum pellets, and they are breeding.

Bellie816
12-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Thank you for the info! Would they sell those at Meijer or Walmart? Or are they harder to find?

Algenco
12-25-2009, 03:29 PM
they'll eat anything you put in the tank.
Actually the majority of their diet will consist of the biofilm they clean from the substrate.

If you have another tank, transfer an item from it to the tank with the shrimp and watch them swarm it, doesn't matter what it is, they will go for the biofilm

Fishguy2727
12-25-2009, 07:35 PM
You will probably have to get it online unless you have a good LFS that carries it or can special order it for you.

I ALWAYS keep live plants in with mine. This is a great source of biofilm. Java moss, hornwort, moss ball, and a little natural driftwood and they will thrive.

annageckos
12-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Shrimp pellets are made from shrimp and good for shrimp. But ghost shrimp are scavengers, eating anything they can find, including bio film and dead things.

Wild Turkey
12-26-2009, 12:29 AM
Food thats high in shrimp and other hard shelled inverts have calcium and other shell building goodies.

Al gave good advice about the biofilm etc, my shrimps love it when i move plants to their tank from others, same with decor

Fishguy2727
12-26-2009, 02:51 AM
Their exoskeleton is made of chitin which does not contain calcium.

korith
12-26-2009, 04:20 AM
You can feed them whatever you like. Like with most inverts you want to avoid any foods that contain copper, it interferes with their ability to reproduce. At most a bit of an algae wafer once or twice a week is plenty. They are scavengers so will live off of whatever they find in the tank. When I go on my vacations (1-3 weeks) I don't bother doing anything with the shrimp tanks, they forage on plants and whatever is in the tank.

Wild Turkey
12-26-2009, 04:25 AM
Their exoskeleton is made of chitin which does not contain calcium.

From what I understand, Calcium carbonate, chitin and proteins are all used in the formation of the exoskeleton. Im always willing to take a look at conflicting info if you have it though.

I supplement calcium in the water column and in the diet of all my shrimps and it makes a large difference in color and shell thickness imo