PDA

View Full Version : realy cool

little hawaii
12-25-2009, 06:14 AM
:19: I have 3 large terrariums and the one I keep Venus Flytraps.
Well they are flowering, so cool. Does anyone know if they will produce seeds? :19: :19: :19:

aspects
12-25-2009, 06:16 AM
wow. thats kind of cool.
i didnt know we could have venus flytraps here

little hawaii
12-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Ha Aspects Ya cool, cause I'm in Canada. Thank God for growlux bulbs.

aspects
12-25-2009, 07:22 AM
oh. NM. i thought you were here in hawaii. lol

Wild Turkey
12-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Propagation

Venus Fly Traps can be propagated through four techniques: division, leaf cuttings, by seed, and through tissue culture.

Division: As a Fly Trap grows, rather than the plant growing as a single large entity the rhizome splits to produce several independent plants. This makes good survival sense because if it remained one plant a severe injury could kill it. But, the odds are that the same injury to a clump of independent plants would leave at least one of them alive. Large Fly Trap rhizomes can be divided in winter when they are dormant by gently pulling them apart. Each can then be planted and will grow into a mature plant by the end of the year. This is the fastest way to grow a new plant.

Leaf Cuttings: Pulling downward on a new leaf in Spring so that it peels off with a small part of the white rhizome attached creates a leaf cutting that can be planted. Providing shaded light, high humidity (cover with a clear dome), and the proper soil moisture will keep the leaf alive long enough to root and grow into a new plant. It takes two years to get a full sized plant from this technique. (I don't know if applying a rooting hormone would help or hurt.) One reference stated that the original leaf will die and turn black about the time the new plant becomes visible.

Seed: Large healthy Fly Traps produce flower stalks in Spring. Left to flower, the plants will produce seed pods which, after several months, will mature and release shiny, black, pear-shaped seeds. Planted, these will germinate in 1-2 months and grow into full sized plants in 3 to 5 years.

Tissue Culture: This is the high-tech technique used by nurseries across the world to produce millions of Venus Fly Traps every year. Plant leaves are cut up into small segments and planted into sterile agar growing medium. Provided highly optimized and controlled moisture, temperature and lighting, each piece will eventually grow into a clone of the parent plant.

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/venusflytrap.html

annageckos
12-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Very cool. Any pics?