PDA

View Full Version : My wife

Minedweller
12-24-2009, 05:58 PM
My wife decided while I was gone to put buy 4 goldfish and put in my 55gal tank with my tropical fish. I heard that goldfish can really mess up a tank should I have her take them back or will they not slime up my tank?

AmyLynn
12-24-2009, 06:05 PM
I would say byebye to the gold fish. Not only are they high bioload, but they're cold water fish. They won't be happy in a warm tropical tank.

Rue
They really do best in a dedicated goldfish-only tank.

I'd take them back if you can. If not...time for another tank!thumbs2:

Northernguy
If they are healthy it may work out fine.
I think you should find out what type of tank they came from.If it was an overpopulated feeder tank you may end up with an ich outbreak!
She didn't know!
Goldfish can do well in tropical temps as long as its not too warm.

dustin0
12-24-2009, 06:12 PM
I would say byebye to the gold fish. Not only are they high bioload, but they're cold water fish. They won't be happy in a warm tropical tank.
This is untrue, goldfish do fine in Warmer waters. Also I dont think their bio-load is that high. I have 3 goldfish in a 39 gallon and things are fine. Those suckers love to eat. I would make sure the goldfish dont eat the smaller fish and I would keep them. Of course I hope you know at some point you will have to rehouse them in a larger tank or pond.

My tank is set at 78F yours should be similar if its a Tropical tank

Northernguy
12-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Here is a really good read.I'm sure there is plenty in there that many of us don't but should know about goldfish.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=32662

dustin0
12-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Here is a really good read.I'm sure there is plenty in there that many of us don't but should know about goldfish.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=32662
Wasnt aware any fish could live in 105F water good to know lol

mac
12-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Now speaking from exp mum use to keep gold-fish in a pond in Ozzie. Well the temp was around 35 ish degrees day in day out. And they were fine.

IMO and IME they do okay in tropical water, but not with tropical fish as such.

As for them being messy yes and no. Small ones arn't to bad when they are young. But once old they live up to being messy large carp.

IMO it is a nice idea to get some fish, but they are not that good with your tank. More if they are from a breeders tank.

Maybe a new tank or a return is needed.

mac

Red
12-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Now speaking from exp mum use to keep gold-fish in a pond in Ozzie. Well the temp was around 35 ish degrees day in day out. And they were fine.

IMO and IME they do okay in tropical water, but not with tropical fish as such.

As for them being messy yes and no. Small ones arn't to bad when they are young. But once old they live up to being messy large carp.

IMO it is a nice idea to get some fish, but they are not that good with your tank. More if they are from a breeders tank.

Maybe a new tank or a return is needed.

mac

I cant agree more. This is great advice.
I would never keep them with tropical fish. :22:

Scrup
12-24-2009, 11:39 PM
The bio-load is massive compared to similar sized fish.

Warmer waters is fine, just cuts down on the life span, as they metabolize faster than normal.

they will eat your smaller fish eventually, and grossly outgrow your 55g. (probably about a foot each)

Minedweller
12-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks for all the advice I had her take them back except for one my son is attached to I guess when he gets bigger I will donate him to a friend or someone else

little hawaii
12-24-2009, 11:59 PM
My wife decided while I was gone to put buy 4 goldfish and put in my 55gal tank with my tropical fish. I heard that goldfish can really mess up a tank should I have her take them back or will they not slime up my tank?

They would rather be in colder water yet they can do quite well at higher temps too. They will destroy any and all plants, and as they get bigger they will start to anoy your fish. More water changes now too.
:goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish:

dustin0
12-25-2009, 12:58 AM
They would rather be in colder water yet they can do quite well at higher temps too. They will destroy any and all plants, and as they get bigger they will start to anoy your fish. More water changes now too.
:goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish:
Im going to stay they normally dont eat plants. I have lots of live/fake plants and they do fine and havnt touched then. My goldfish (comets and kois)dont pick on my fish either

MrJim
12-25-2009, 02:33 AM
My comet lived with tropicals for a good while then started eating them, ate the neons, ate the zebras...I have some giant danios in with them now. I keep the tank at around 71 degrees...I'd have to agree with others though

(Talk about "cold water" fish all ya want, but without a chiller that's about all the "cold" room-temp water is going to get in my house, and there are several "tropicals" that actually do well in the lower 70 degree range...)