PDA

View Full Version : nerite snails

rookie
12-24-2009, 04:33 PM
has anyone ever herd of these things. are they really as good they sound. is my 3bn plecos not enough for my 110g

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Nerite_algae_eating_Snails_p/snail793.htm?Click=20303

hpamperedpets
01-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Wow they look cool. I never heard of them though..
I bet they would work. Do a little research on them to see if you should buy them.

annageckos
01-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Nerite snails are great algea eaters and they can not reproduce in freshwater. Treat they like any other snail, they need calcium or their shells will erode. Kale and collard greens have a lot of calcium.

Lab_Rat
01-04-2010, 09:44 PM
I've got nerites in all of my tanks, save the 5g. They're great snails, no complaints except for all the stupid little non hatching eggs they leave behind.

Doak6021
01-11-2010, 07:19 PM
I've got nerites in all of my tanks, save the 5g. They're great snails, no complaints except for all the stupid little non hatching eggs they leave behind.

How many eggs are laying around? lol

I wanted to get these for my planted 75g. I planned to get around 5 or 6 along with some otos for the algae that I know will be coming soon. Are the eggs everywhere? Or is it just a spot here or there(remember 'll only have 5 or 6)?

Also, The LFS near me has Nerite snails on hand but keeps them in saltwater. Will I be able to take the snails from the LFS saltwater tank and put them in my freshwater tank?

If so, is there an assimilation process?

If not, where do I get freshwater versions of nerite snails?

Lab_Rat
01-11-2010, 08:57 PM
I've gotten used to the eggs so they don't bother me as much. There are a smattering here and there, they're just bright white.

As far as sw to fw, I have no clue. The nerites I have were already acclimated to fw.

annageckos
01-11-2010, 09:22 PM
I have no idea if it would work but you would have to aclamate them to fw if they are in salt. I don't know how slowly you would have to take it thou. You would basicly have to start out with sw and slowly over maybe a couple of weeks, maybe more, maybe less, lower the salt content til you end up with pure fw.