PDA

View Full Version : Curious...Is there an epilepsy awareness...

debbie51975
12-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Since I'm a newbie, I can't see them all. I keep seeing some folks with purple ribbons. Is that an epilepsy ribbon? Or a different one? Although I suppose, they can be whatever the beholder wishes them to be.:ssmile:

Just wondering. Is there a list as to what they all stand for? Or only in the ribbon store?

Rue
12-24-2009, 02:39 PM
They're all grouped with other health issues...but I think it's the lilac one...

debbie51975
12-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks:ssmile: So many ribbons! Almost sad in a way...On the other hand, they do make folks ask what they're for..which is the point I suppose. I ordered a bunch for my sons class in school. Little purple pins. I'm hoping that the kids won't make fun of his seizures if they can feel like they're somehow a part of helping him. No idea if it will work. Stress brings out the seizures & we've had a rough month. My son is afraid that if the kids see him drooling on himself etc...they'll tease him. I'm betting they'll just be more afraid of what they're seeing, than finding it funny.

Crispy
12-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Get him into fish keeping. A nice tank is a great stress-reliever! That and jamming with the band is the only 2 'legal' stress relievers I can think of. :hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
12-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks:ssmile: ...I'm hoping that the kids won't make fun of his seizures if they can feel like they're somehow a part of helping him. No idea if it will work. Stress brings out the seizures & we've had a rough month. My son is afraid that if the kids see him drooling on himself etc...they'll tease him. ....

Teasing and bullying is a funny social behaviour we have. My youngest son has a slight learning disability, complete with a slight speech impediment. He sounds like he has an accent...and maybe that's why people who don't know him don't really notice enough to say anything...(wonder where they think he's from?)

But he's never been teased at school. I was waiting for it to happen. Nothing.

It's in part because he's so social, and otherwise 'normal' (athletic, etc.). He isn't overly 'teasable' - by that I mean he doesn't react to being teased.

I suggest you teach your son to roll with the punches. If someone says something like:

"Gross! You're drooling!"

He replies with something along the lines of:

"Yup. It's gross alright! But NOT as gross as you picking YOUR nose!"

If he's not the type to do that easily - practice with him at home so he has an opportunity to say it out loud a few times. It's easier to 'practice' anti-teasing at home than have that 'blank' moment at school.

No guarantees of course...but I've talked to a lot of moms and a lot of teachers...and a lot of adults that were bullied/teased. This type of advice may counter some other advice you hear...but we've concluded that if you join IN with being teased - the bullies don't find you rewarding and leave you alone.

debbie51975
12-24-2009, 05:56 PM
yeah, Mikey's been told that, the problem is sometimes he doesn't listen. He over reacts, which leads him into trouble. Wish he'd listen sometimes...on the other hand, I rarely listened to my mom growing up. She was the school guidance councilor....talk about being an easy target. If they hated my mom, they hated me. Made even worse in highschool, when I (the councilor's kid), got knocked up at 17! Oh my....those were fun days.

It's easy now to look back and wonder why I even cared?! That baby I had is now an honor student attending BW next year. Now when I see those same folks who gave me such a hard time....tisk tisk....I almost laugh at how ignorant they were.

Maybe Mikey will look back and laugh too (umm....with OUT a baby on his hip!(blush) )

Rue
12-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Aha! You have two kids...you're an old hand at this then...thumbs2:

What's BW?

souly
12-24-2009, 06:21 PM
I did exactly what Rue was saying when I was younger. People ended up liking me because of my sense of humor instead of picking on me for various things. Also, at some points I just wouldn't even react to the teasing and just went "Eh whateve" and shrugged them off and the quit it to. It just really depends on how Mikey will handle it, and who does the teasing. Hopefully though since its an understandible problem the kids should lay off.

Lady Hobbs
12-25-2009, 05:46 AM
If you don't see one there, then there isn't. They do change now and then and perhaps at a later time there will be.