PDA

View Full Version : Diarrhea - Help!

Petloon
12-24-2009, 09:21 AM
I've posted before but this problem is continuing. One of my Ryukins, Harry, has definate toliet issues! As soon as he is fed he emites a large cloud of very soft, broken up poo. I've watched him, he's happily picking through the stones and its just bursting out from under his tail fin.

He is not trailing poo, it explodes out instantly then breaks up and fills the tank. Fortunately I have a very good filter.

His diet has not changed in over a year, a mix of peas, tetrafin gold japan and frozen blood worms (in moderation).

He recently had a fish louse attached, which I had to physically remove, but he healed remakably quickly. To protect against infection I added aqaurium salts to 3 %. Could any of these things have contrabuted?

He has previously had constipation issues, I would often find him struggling to balance and floating upside down at the top of the tank. But with regular ruffage this does seem to be decreasing in regularity. Now he's gone the other way!

He is otherwise looking very lively and healthy and is not showing any signs of stress or illness.

I am away for two days over Christmas and have opted to leave all my fish unfed for that time (having taken advice against feeder blocks and having no one around over Christmas to help). I'm hoping this will be beneficial to him rather than harmful.

Please advise, how can I help him? Could this be harmful?

Crispy
12-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Less peas I would say. Those go right through fish and probably account for the prob.

Lady Hobbs
12-24-2009, 02:52 PM
I have a question about the salt. You are talking fish tank salt, correct, and not Epsom Salt? Epsom Salt would cause this for sure.

(Goldfish need no salt.) But if you are not using Epsom then I agree with Crispy that it would be the peas.

annageckos
12-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Another thought, though there is nothing much you can do if it is it. Goldfish are so popular and the fancies are heavily bred for looks, not health. It is possible that your fish has a genetic defect causing the problems. IMO, I would make sure the fish has a good healthy diet and make sure the foods do not have preservitives or fillers like soy wheat corn or things like that. Sorry, that's not much help. Also being away for a couple of days, fasting the fish may be good for it. Let it's system clear it's self out.

Northernguy
12-24-2009, 03:34 PM
If NLS food is available there you should try some.
I agree with no more salt and peas.
I only feed peas when the fish appear to be constipated.

Petloon
12-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks for your opinions.

The problem still seems to be on going even though they've fasted for three days and not had peas in about seven. It's a lot less though.

The salt is aquarium salt. They have this at the moment for two reasons - 1 I orginally put it in when introducing a new fish, it reduces stress and helps to prevent the spread of disease, it is a precaution I like to take. 2 - After the lice had attached to the fish they were left with open wounds, ideal for infection to enter, I left the salt in longer than normal and increased the concentration slightly until they were healed. Now the tank is looking settled, I will remove the salt and see if it helps.

Normally they don't have salt, I always introduce it slowly and they have had it before.

Thanks everyone.