PDA

View Full Version : Sickly Anubias?

tori.lock
12-24-2009, 08:42 AM
My anubias have been doing very well until recently. I noticed that their leaves are very pale, and patches seem translucent. It also has some yellow-brown patches. Lately there was some extra diatoms int he water and I've been doing my best to rinse them off the leaves. My other plants seem very good, nothing's changed, the parameters are normal. I have a basic light on it (Not sure exactly, but it's the light that came with the Eclipse System) and them and all my other plants have been doing great with it. I'm wondering if it could be a lack of nutrients, it's a 3g tank with a single male betta. My signature is up to date with what it contains. The anubias are anchored to a fake stump. The plants are still sprouting new, healthy looking leaves, but the older ones look very ill. Also thinking it could be lack of CO2. Any advice is appreciated.

annageckos
12-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Sounds to me like a deficiency, maybe iron, potassium or magnesium. Anubias don't need CO2, I have a couple anubias without CO2 and they are doing great.

rhonin
12-27-2009, 09:17 PM
I have a couple of Eclipse systems from 5g to 30g.
What I have found is that the lights that come with them are okay for plants, they really degrade after 5 or 6 months.

I recently changed one in my 30g with a Nutri light and my anubia has gone from pale to dark green and is looking much better.

If your light is a few months or older......

Just a thought..
:22:

little hawaii
12-27-2009, 09:30 PM
My anubias have been doing very well until recently. I noticed that their leaves are very pale, and patches seem translucent. It also has some yellow-brown patches. Lately there was some extra diatoms int he water and I've been doing my best to rinse them off the leaves. My other plants seem very good, nothing's changed, the parameters are normal. I have a basic light on it (Not sure exactly, but it's the light that came with the Eclipse System) and them and all my other plants have been doing great with it. I'm wondering if it could be a lack of nutrients, it's a 3g tank with a single male betta. My signature is up to date with what it contains. The anubias are anchored to a fake stump. The plants are still sprouting new, healthy looking leaves, but the older ones look very ill. Also thinking it could be lack of CO2. Any advice is appreciated.

I think it does sound like a nutrient problem, pretty small tank. You could disolve a small pinch of red Laterite and pour it in there. I water my flowering plants with that stuff too and they do great, I even had my mini aloes flowering this year. The other thing I would like to share is that I grow large #s of anubius in a wet terrarium which I suppose would be a Paladarium. Anyway Anubius are grown commercially in an emersed form as they are usually found on shady banks of water sources. They and many other Aquarium plants grow great that way too. It would be interesting to put your plant in a small container or jar with just a splash of water and a pinch of Laterite, you can't give to much but less is cheaper. I have 8 other species growing Paladarium style, and a lot of them have differant leaf forms emergent forms and most will flower. I want to try some cryptocorynes too. I sell my plants to lps. and I've always got my owngrowns for tank renos, and friendstoo. Its a lot of fun too. Does the tank have a light?:fish:

tori.lock
12-29-2009, 01:34 AM
Thanks a lot. I cut back a lot of leaves today, and I think I'll go pick up some nutrients for them. I did a bit of reading and cast out the CO2 idea, and decided it's probably got something to do with nutrients. The lamp is only around two months old, but I bought it off of someone else. I think I'll try and replace that while I'm at it.