PDA

View Full Version : Plant Stocking ideas?

souly
12-24-2009, 05:58 AM
I'm picking some new lighting for my 29g tank, and wanted to know if anyone could give me some plant names that they knew work well with just light and no 1st level substrates. I know some plants can thrive without undergravel substrates so if anyone has had any good luck with any i really like to know what types of plants worked well!

Thanks!

annageckos
12-24-2009, 06:05 AM
I use plain sand with root tabs by the plants that need them. Java fern, java moss and anubis are easy all easy and do best when tied to rocks or wood. Lotus are easy to care for too, but you will need root tabs for them. I also have dwarf sagittaria that is growing great. Crypts are easy undemanding plants too, though some times they will "melt" when you first add them into your tank. Leave the plant in your tank(remove the dead leaves) and it will come back.

Lab_Rat
12-24-2009, 06:17 AM
Agree with java fern, java moss, and anubias. Wendelov fern is another (type of java fern) and with root tabs swords are pretty easy. Blue hygro is doing well in my tank, though I do have flourite substrate. Stem plants would do well depending on your light, anacharis, rotala indica, red ludwegia, hornwort, moneywort, etc. Are you planning on any ferts?

souly
12-24-2009, 06:24 AM
Thanks I was thinking of getting something like this:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=768+2146&pcatid=2146

And using the tabs.

aspects
12-24-2009, 06:25 AM
it will really depend on the type and amount of "new lighting" youre getting for your tank. different plants have different lighting requirements.

what kind of wattage are you looking at?

souly
12-24-2009, 06:37 AM
I was thinking of goign with an Aqua-glo but reading the specs I'd be looking at only 20ws which wouldn't be enough for the size of the tank. I'll have to look for some higher watted bulbs.

Lab_Rat
12-24-2009, 06:47 AM
It's really going to depend on your fixture the wattage of bulbs you get. What sort of fixture did you upgrade to?

souly
12-24-2009, 07:03 AM
I'm was hoping on using the standard hood that came with my setup. I was hoping to replace the bulb with a better bulb than the standard aaquarium light.

aspects
12-24-2009, 07:10 AM
if youre planning to go with something like thst, you are limited to low light applications. this is not neccesarily a bad thing though.

java ferns, java moss (or other types of moss) and anubias will all work in that type of a lighting set up. add a few pieces of driftwood, andyouve got yourself the makings of a nice scape.

souly
12-24-2009, 07:15 AM
I'll have to take a look and see what I can do about upgrading the hood with my LFS, only one in the area really sales them and i'm terrible at the DIY sort of things. But thanks for the ideas! If I do upgrade the light fixture/hood setup I'll be picking up enough bulbs to run good wattage.

lowlight
12-24-2009, 08:34 AM
With the Java Fern, Cryptocoryne and Anubius Nana 20watts would keep the plants alive. I have those three plants in my 55gal, they don't grow fast but they will grow. With 40watts you could add the rest of those plants. It is not just the wattage it is the light spectrum or K rating that also important. I would use from 4000K to 8000K. There are articles in the column at left that might help you decide on what you want. Feel free to ask questions, though I am only a novice when it comes to plants there are some serious aquatic plant buffs on this site.