PDA

View Full Version : 72 gallon bow front

Earthdawn
12-23-2009, 05:00 AM
I started out with the back corner being drilled and since I wanted to go withe the canister I have now I decided to plug ad seal the holes.

I'm now at the point where we filled it with water and got some gravel in it and a couple of plants. The decor most likely won't stay. I put it in just to see how it would look. I have the filter running but still need to choose a heater and air pump.

I'll add some more detail here and pics but this is a pic of it now.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/53870945.jpg

tetra
12-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Nice tank what are your plans for it?

Northernguy
12-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Thats a nice tank.
The holes for a canister were not neccesary.The hoses simply come over the top of the tank.

Earthdawn
12-24-2009, 06:02 AM
Well moving along tonight we got the airpump and heaterand a few more plants. A full water test kit and power strip.
I put the new charcoal, biomax and foam in the canister and got that running. Lastly I put some water conditioner in...
So here's a newer pic.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/3c74b0a2.jpg

Earthdawn
12-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Right now it is looking fine except that it is a little cloudy.... :goldfish: (blush) :fish:

Northernguy
12-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Are you doing a fishless cycle?
The charcoal is not really neccesary.
Most of us use it for cleaning meds or nasty odors out of the water.
Its not needed right now.

Earthdawn
12-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Are you doing a fishless cycle?
The charcoal is not really neccesary.
Most of us use it for cleaning meds or nasty odors out of the water.
Its not needed right now.

I pulled the carbon packs out so its running the foam and biomax. It has cleared up a little but it amost looks like tiny micro-bubbles.

Im taking a water sample in on sat for testing but when I tested it there was 0 amonia and the ph was at 7.6

Fishless cycle sounds great BUT my girlfriend and son are driving me nuts to put a fish in it.... I know I know ... but I have been looking around to see what fish are the best to start out with and get things going... but we will see where we are on sat.

any thoughts ?

Earthdawn
12-28-2009, 04:14 AM
Sooo.... Today the tank is looking almost crystal clear !!! :19:

We did get 7 Danios to get the cycle going.... I just could not hold off the family any longer. I am checking and will continue checking the water everyday and do 50% water changes as ammonia shows up.
I got a full API test kit and have plenty of water conditioner to treat the water after I change it out.

The slight haze in the tank is just the reflection from the background. I put a black plastic bag behind it just to see how a black background would look before we bought one. I cant believe how clear the water looks and how beautiful the tank is overall.. everyone is very happy !

I cant thank everyone here enough for all the GREAT help :22:

little hawaii
12-28-2009, 04:36 AM
Good job, that haze dissapers in a few more days. Great idea with the black bags. Something so simple yet effective, thanks.

Northernguy
12-28-2009, 05:26 AM
I painted the back of my large tank but the rest just have black bristol board on them.It works great.
Not all of us can wait that long with kids wanting fish.Just do as you said and do a water change when you see ammonia starting to rise at all.
Good luck! The tank looks great!

Earthdawn
12-28-2009, 05:45 AM
Ahhhhhh

I forgot the pic !!!

SORRY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(blush)

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/66234f5f.jpg

Deleted User
12-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Great looking tank :19: :19: :19:

Earthdawn
01-08-2010, 01:14 AM
Well... I am doing water changes every other day now ...lol

good thing I got the hose with the valve setup !!!

Heres a quick pick of "Mr. Crabs" ... lol

Earthdawn
01-18-2010, 05:30 AM
well after many water changes and lots of time spent watching whats going on and water testing I think things have settled in. It has been 5 days with good readings and no water change !!! :19:

Thanks to all for so much support... especially Northernguy thumbs2:

We are all really enjoying the tank and having a lot of fun picking out fish.

PS.. yes thats a seperate container in the tank for our mean blue lobster who has taken out 2 tetras and 1 gourami.
Im gonna have to put some rubber bands on his claws. I was told to use the ones used on braces. That should be interesting to say the least !

EmmanuelJB
01-18-2010, 05:35 AM
Great looking Aquariumm!

Northernguy
01-18-2010, 03:04 PM
The tank is shaping up nicely!thumbs2:
Great job.