PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp and Jungle Labs Parasite Clear?

wlepse
12-23-2009, 12:33 AM
Recently I treated my tank with Jungle Labs Parasite Clear and it said right on the package that it is not safe for inverts. I currently don't have any but am expecting to get some in a few weeks. I have done a water change since treatment and will do several more before the shrimp go in but can someone tell me why this stuff isn't safe? I had expected it to be copper related but I don't think it has copper. Either way, is there a way to tell if the tank is safe for them? I went to a LFS tonight to get a copper test kit but they didn't have one. Anyone with experience with this stuff and shrimp?

Lady Hobbs
12-23-2009, 12:38 AM
It contains metronidazole. Shrimp can not tolerate any of the medications not just cooper. Add charcoal and do lots of water changes. I'd wait a couple weeks before adding any shrimp.

wlepse
12-23-2009, 12:48 AM
OK..I did a 50% WC after treatment and plan to go back to my 20-25% for the next 3-4 WC before they would be added after quarantine. Do you think this would be sufficient or should I step up the changes a bit more? Also is there a test for metronidazole or one of its components that I could do to confirm?

Lady Hobbs
12-23-2009, 12:53 AM
No. The water changes and charcoal will render the medication safe. And new fish should be quarantined now for sure if you have shrimp in the tank. Any medication will kill them.

wlepse
12-23-2009, 12:24 PM
OK thanks...I picked up a 5g QT tank the other day since I am expecting to start adding new guys and from what I have read here should make my life easier. And theirs I guess too. Plan is for the shrimp to be QT'd for a week or two then acclimated to main tank then starting on the next addition once they seem to have settled in.

Lady Hobbs
12-23-2009, 01:52 PM
What kind of fish do you plan to have? Many of them find shrimp as a treat.

wlepse
12-23-2009, 02:56 PM
At this point I only have mollys, platys and danios. Looking to add some corys soon. Not sure on other fish since we like the action of the little guys and a lot of the bigger fish we have seen are pretty chill. But don't expect to do anything with a mouth large enough to eat them at least not for a while. And by then I will likely have more tanks that I can move them to.

wlepse
12-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Out of curiosity....I noticed my water conditioner says it removes heavy metals. If I were to use something with copper and wanted to reintroduce shrimp, would a dosing of the water conditioner be enough to render it harmless?