PDA

View Full Version : Tank mates?

Spartanhockey89
12-22-2009, 10:05 PM
If u read the thread before, then you know i'm probably going to get a jardini. Any suggestions on tank mates? The tank will have a large amount of bottom cover and caves, since I have access to an unlimited amount of rock.

aspects
12-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Generally speaking, jardini don't do too well with tankmates.
Aggression is a case by case basis, but to be safe its best to assume any tankmates will be killed..

Crispy
12-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Generally speaking, jardini don't do too well with tankmates.
Aggression is a case by case basis, but to be safe its best to assume any tankmates will be killed..

Agreed. Larger plecos and catfish usually do well with them though.

aspects
12-22-2009, 10:23 PM
A larger (common) pleco might work as long as its not small enough to fit in the mouth of the jar. (keep growth rates in mind)

I've seen a few different types of tankmates work, but its few and far between.

Spartanhockey89
12-22-2009, 10:30 PM
cool, because i really like some of the bigger catfish but never had a tak big enough. any catfish ideas.

cer
12-23-2009, 01:39 AM
A big pleco could work. Basicly anything that won't fit in its mouth and can hold it's own.

Demjor19
12-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Jardini + Tankmates = Disaster!

People who are saying tankmates will work...obviously have never seen the aggression of an adult jardini. Things always go great while the fish is young...once it reaches around 12"...they go ballistic! This would be equivalant to me planning on keeping tankmates with my Dovii. 9 times out of 10...something will die.

aspects
12-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Jardini + Tankmates = Disaster!

People who are saying tankmates will work...obviously have never seen the aggression of an adult jardini. Things always go great while the fish is young...once it reaches around 12"...they go ballistic! This would be equivalant to me planning on keeping tankmates with my Dovii. 9 times out of 10...something will die.

"9 times out of 10..." which means what?...
exactly what was said. its not a good idea, but is possible.

i HAVE "seen the aggression of an adult jardini" many times, and from personal experiences and first hand accounts, can say without a doubt, that it depends on the individual fish. (and this concept is not specific to jardini, but any "aggressive" fish).
for the most part, the story is usually the same. but i have seen a few cases of jardini being successfully commd with other fish for life.
just because you have obviously have never seen the non-aggression of an adult jardini, does not mean it does not happen.

oh and btw.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b126/bitteraspects/PictureorVideo063.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b126/bitteraspects/PictureorVideo064.jpg

this jar and black aro are both WAAAAAY over your 12" mark, and well into their "adult" stage. not a single missing scale between them.

oh, hey, look what we have here...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b126/bitteraspects/200535165218751-1.jpg

2 "killer jardini" together without a single torn fin, and both adults.

dont be so quick to discredit other people who are just giving their opinions. :l19:

Demjor19
12-23-2009, 04:10 PM
...and if it doesn't work, no big deal I guess? Fish are expendable! :22:

As for your little picture show...with little to no effort, I could find pics to contradict them.

I guess we have MUCH different first hand experiences???

aspects
12-23-2009, 05:13 PM
...and if it doesn't work, no big deal I guess? Fish are expendable! :22:

Which again, goes back to my initial point. While it is absolutely possible, it is not a good idea.
However, if you chose to attempt to comm a jardini (or any other aggressive fish for that matter) it is your job to keep an eye on the progression of the community and make adjustments as needed. That includes removing fish that are fighting before it turns fatal.
It has nothing to do with the fish being "expendable", but rather, the person keeping them being responsible

As for your little picture show...with little to no effort, I could find pics to contradict them.
Unless you can find a picture of the jardini I posted killing the black aro I posted (and I know for a fact you can't), then you can't contradict ANYTHING. In fact these were posted to contradict your one sided blanket statement that its not possible.
obviously it is possible. Even well after the 12" mark where they will supposedly "go ballistic", as you so eloquently out it.
Welcome to your contradiction.

I guess we have MUCH different first hand experiences???

Apparently so. While yours has led you to believe the false allegations that it is not possible to keep a jardini with another fish, especially after it reaches 12". And inadvertently causes you to repeat such nonsense in attempt to discredit anyone who says otherwise. Mine has led me to the reality of the matter which is, it is absolutely possible (as clearly illustrated in the images above).

So, back to my original point.
Keeping a jardini with tankmates is possible but not a good idea.
Although some individual specimens are not as aggressive as others and will allow tankmates, these are known to be very aggressive fish and most likely will kill anything in their tank.
Attempting to keep other fish with your jardini will take a lot of work and close monitoring, but even then, the chance of success is slim (but not impossible as some people might have you believe)

But as demjor clearly pointed out.
"if you never try, you never fail" :22:
Not a quote I live my life by, but I guess it works for him.

Scrup
12-23-2009, 06:25 PM
wowza.

so the gist of this...

Possible? yes, but not probable.

Crispy
12-23-2009, 08:42 PM
I'm always pushin' the envelope and I would try a few tankmates. Some larger uncommon L#s, any shovelnose cats... just be prepared to rehome the fish asap or pay for some expensive feeders. :)

Spartanhockey89
12-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Would it make a difference if they were both put in at the same time? The aro would be about 5'', and the catfish (zebra shovelnose perhaps?) about the same.

Crispy
12-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Would it make a difference if they were both put in at the same time? The aro would be about 5'', and the catfish (zebra shovelnose perhaps?) about the same.

would be fine IMO.

aspects
12-24-2009, 09:06 PM

the growth rates will make more of a difference. the jar will quickly outgrow the cat, and once its big enough to swallow it, you can count on it being gone.
but then again, you might get lucky.
only one way to find out.

Spartanhockey89
01-04-2010, 02:55 AM
i do have another large tank (125) in case all hell breaks loose. but i understand the whole fit in the mouth=gone concept

aspects
01-04-2010, 03:26 AM
at least youre prepared just incase.
good job