PDA

View Full Version : How do I breed Common Goldfish and take care of their fries??

AznYanTheMan
12-22-2009, 09:03 PM
How would I breed common goldfish for food for my RES? I am trying to save up some money from buying feeder fish and decided to breed them. I want to keep some of the common goldfish for myself, just the ones that look good, and give some of the other ones to friends and relatives I know because they don't really know a lot about fish so why not let them start out with easy to care for fish. Then feed the ones that don't lok good to my turtles cause I am getting really tired of wasting my time to buy feeder fish for my turtles like every week. I would really like to know how to breed common feeder fish but I have seen how to breeed goldfish but not the common goldfish and do they have to meeet certain requirements to breed like size and lenght?

And I would also like to know how to take care of the fries when they are eggs and when they hatch to become adults. I don't really know what to feed them too so that might be a serious part of goldfish fries life. As you can see I really need a lot of help and thanks for all the people that will take time to help me.

Thanks

Cath
12-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Hi
I'm not too sure if people will help you breed gold fish to feed to your turtles that sounds shocking maybe thats because I have a lovely pond with them in that breed just because they can and want to.
I never knew what a feeder fish was thick I may be, I had no idea that was what people did not sure if I will sleep and another thing gold fish are not easy to keep sorry if I sound harsh but I am shocked.
Cath

annageckos
12-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Goldfish are not a healthy food for your turtles too eat. A better choise would be fish from you grocery store, shrimp, clams, 'seafood mix', insects, inverts and some veggies like collard greens, kale, green beans and squash. RES eat a lot of inverts in the wild. Crickets, moths, spiders, superworms, silkworms, earthworms, shrimp and other foods like that would be a good choise. Goldfish do not have the right nutriants to be a staple for your turtles and can cause heath problems down the road. If you are dead set on feeding live fish than I would suggest raising one of the livebearers, mollies, platies or swordtails. Guppies are small and would take much longer to grow out to size. They are very easy to breed and not quit as messy.

AznYanTheMan
12-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Goldfish are not a healthy food for your turtles too eat. A better choise would be fish from you grocery store, shrimp, clams, 'seafood mix', insects, inverts and some veggies like collard greens, kale, green beans and squash. RES eat a lot of inverts in the wild. Crickets, moths, spiders, superworms, silkworms, earthworms, shrimp and other foods like that would be a good choise. Goldfish do not have the right nutriants to be a staple for your turtles and can cause heath problems down the road. If you are dead set on feeding live fish than I would suggest raising one of the livebearers, mollies, platies or swordtails. Guppies are small and would take much longer to grow out to size. They are very easy to breed and not quit as messy.

Thanks for all the goldfish updates. I am not going to feed them goldfish or "feeder fish" to them anymore. I have been wanting to breed crickets and have serched like 6 hours on the web and tried almost everything but they all failed so I had to turn to another option, goldfish. So I can feed my turtles like shrimp or prawns that are like from stores? And I can feed them peas right cause I feed my goldfish that but not too sure if I can feed my turtles that? And a couple years ago I have tried to breed livebearers from Wal Mart that include PLaties, Mollies, and feeder guppies(I guess they were meant to be food for pets since they don't have any unique patterns, just plain colors) but they all failed again. I got the mollies to "have babies" and then after that the platies had babies too but I had like so many babies, I couldn't keep track on how many and had no idea what to feed them so they all died. As you can see I have failed on many attempts to breed my own food for my turtles and I need serious help! Please help!

And also, what if I fed frozen baby brine shrimp to my baby livebearer fries, would they survive cause last time they only had crappy hikari baby food that didn't work at all and what are some other baby food I can feed them?

Thanks

AznYanTheMan
12-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Hi
I'm not too sure if people will help you breed gold fish to feed to your turtles that sounds shocking maybe thats because I have a lovely pond with them in that breed just because they can and want to.
I never knew what a feeder fish was thick I may be, I had no idea that was what people did not sure if I will sleep and another thing gold fish are not easy to keep sorry if I sound harsh but I am shocked.
Cath

O
Sorry if you feel offended but I wasn't talking about like goldfish that include orandas, ryukins, and all the other fancy goldfish. I was talking about the goldfish that you see in pet stores at cheap prices since they can have many babies at once so that is why they cost so little but I am not going to feed my 2 baby RES turtles that anymore. Sorry if this is messed up cause I was running out of options and I was going to feed them the crappy goldfish and keep the ones that look like winners and in other words, I have discontinued the use of common goldfish for turtle food but can you tell me what your goldfish are and how do you breed them cause I want to breed my 2 orandas and have some babies to grow and give some to people because my tank dosen't have a lot of fish since my biggest fish kept picking on the smaller ones and I have had goldfish for a while and thought it was time to learn how to breed them.

Thanks

annageckos
12-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Peas are fine to feed your turtle. Collard green are good too because they have a lot of calcium. Breeding crickets is not hard but it is a pain and smelly. You will need large bines to keep them in and another to move the eggs over to. Get a storage tub(plastic like from walmart) and cut a hole in the lid. You will need to hot glue a piece of window screening to cover this hole. This is needed for air flow. A shallow open container ( aluminum cookie sheet would work) filled with damp sand is used for the crickets to lay thier eggs in. You will want to have a couple of these so that you can rotate them. Once every couple of days take the sheet out and put it into a new bin prepared like above. You need to heat these to around 85-90F. Crickets are canibilistic, messy and smelly. Remember to feed and use slices of friut or veggies for their water. If I am not clear or confused you let me know I will try to help you out.
Superworms(NOT mealworms) are a good choise, though not easy to breed and take a long time to grow. You can order them and crickets at http://www.lllreptile.com.
Very easy to breed are different roaches. These are not like common pest species. They are tropical and NEED heat to live and breed. They are not pest or invasive. I breed Guyana Orange Spotted Roaches (Blaptica dubia) for my bearded dragon. Very easy. Get a tub and prepare same as for the crickets but you don't need the sand. I have a heating pad set on low and egg crates inside for them to craw on. I feed fruits, veggies and crushed up dry food(cat and dog food, cerial, grains, oatmeal and anything else I find at the time of making their food up) Mist them with a water bottle a couple of times a week and soon you will have lots of babies.
Now to fish. Breeding livebearers is fairly easy. Get the biggest tank you can and having second would be helpful to. Put fish in cycled tank, they like alot of green foods. The babies can eat crushed flake food and will also pick at the microorganisims that are living in the tank. Plants would be good.

AznYanTheMan
12-24-2009, 01:22 AM
Peas are fine to feed your turtle. Collard green are good too because they have a lot of calcium. Breeding crickets is not hard but it is a pain and smelly. You will need large bines to keep them in and another to move the eggs over to. Get a storage tub(plastic like from walmart) and cut a hole in the lid. You will need to hot glue a piece of window screening to cover this hole. This is needed for air flow. A shallow open container ( aluminum cookie sheet would work) filled with damp sand is used for the crickets to lay thier eggs in. You will want to have a couple of these so that you can rotate them. Once every couple of days take the sheet out and put it into a new bin prepared like above. You need to heat these to around 85-90F. Crickets are canibilistic, messy and smelly. Remember to feed and use slices of friut or veggies for their water. If I am not clear or confused you let me know I will try to help you out.
Superworms(NOT mealworms) are a good choise, though not easy to breed and take a long time to grow. You can order them and crickets at http://www.lllreptile.com.
Very easy to breed are different roaches. These are not like common pest species. They are tropical and NEED heat to live and breed. They are not pest or invasive. I breed Guyana Orange Spotted Roaches (Blaptica dubia) for my bearded dragon. Very easy. Get a tub and prepare same as for the crickets but you don't need the sand. I have a heating pad set on low and egg crates inside for them to craw on. I feed fruits, veggies and crushed up dry food(cat and dog food, cerial, grains, oatmeal and anything else I find at the time of making their food up) Mist them with a water bottle a couple of times a week and soon you will have lots of babies.
Now to fish. Breeding livebearers is fairly easy. Get the biggest tank you can and having second would be helpful to. Put fish in cycled tank, they like alot of green foods. The babies can eat crushed flake food and will also pick at the microorganisims that are living in the tank. Plants would be good.

Thanks for the cricket update but I don't know how to heat up the crickets eggs since my family(my parents, not my other brother) are like neat freaks. They aren't a big fan of keeping crickets in the house cause I was going to do that to keep them warm but they won't let me and all I can do is put it in the garage where it is the only place they would allow me to put it in and the warmest place too. I have bred crickets before but never got past the incubation process since they didn't want to hatch. I threw away the eggs since it didn't look like they were going to hatch. The main problem for me right now is breeding crickets and taking care of them until adulthood. I use buckets instead of tubs to hold my crickets(I have 2 - 4 I think but I can get more). I usually keep the crickets in the buckets since they weren't being used and I feed them fruits and veggies and carrots as a water source and some oatmeal. The only problem in breeding them is finding a warm place to hatch the baby crickets. I know I can breed them but no idea how to make them hacth ant take care of them. I used my turtles tank's light as a heat source since it gave off warmth and I think it was too hot cause the light gave off a lot of heat that it is like melting the plastic on the light cover. I can take a couple pictures of my idea but I have no crickets at the moment since it is getting cold but I will give you some pictures of my buckets and heat source for crickets but can you first help me out if I am doing something wrong in my crickets process?

PS I also need another heating source so if you have any ideas, that would be great!
Thanks

Thanks