PDA

View Full Version : What are some good Goldfish treats and food??

AznYanTheMan
12-22-2009, 09:01 PM
I am wondering what are some good goldfish treats these days. I have tried Live Brine Shrimp and Live Bloodworms but I am looking for something new for them. I have been feeding them peas, some goldfish commercial foods, algae wafers, micro wafers(some of the goldfish are to small), and those treats listed above. I was wondering if there are any other good and healthy food for them and some nice treats to feed them once in a while.

Thanks
:parachute:

Deleted User
12-22-2009, 09:06 PM
So far, we've given ours the following and they love it:

Spinach leaves (slightly blanched)
Field green type (fancy) lettuce
Canned green beans (cut up some)
Orange slices (not wedges -- thanks Rue for that tip!)
Cucumber that we sort of cut lines in w/ a knife

Deleted User
12-22-2009, 09:17 PM
PS for "regular" every day food, ours mainly get HBH Goldfish Crisps / Discs (they love them).

Scrup
12-22-2009, 09:31 PM
They love duckweed.

megastealer
12-28-2009, 06:06 AM
My goldfish love the new life spectrum reccomended by "fish guy" here - he researches with different kinds of fish and has written several articles you can read. I've put in treats they used to like such as peas in with the food, and they totally ignore the treats now until their food is gone... so the food has become the treat lol :ssmile:

It looks like this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YCygkUUXL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Its not expensive, I get the 300g container on ebay for about $17 after shipping... its lasted about 4 months so far and its not even halfway empty yet. pretty cheap!

little hawaii
12-28-2009, 06:31 AM
try Boiled spinach, green beans, zuccinii, and they especially love chopped worms if you have the guts - HAHA.
Try things, they stay healthy with some real veggies.

Wild Turkey
12-28-2009, 08:39 AM
I second fresh veggies and duckweed. My gf will consume duckweed faster than I can grow it in multiple tanks. It wont grow in his so I know hes getting every little bit hehe. I only boil the hard veggies, otherwise I just stick a spoon it in to sink it.

I would make sure a good goldfish pellet was the main staple food, and shy away from feeding bloodworms or other fatty food more often than say twice a week, and after I fed the staple food.

Fasting one day a week is also a good idea imo.

I would shy away from canned foods. Im not sure about them all, but I know canned green beans contain a lot more sodium than fresh ones. For this reason I opt for fresh rather than canned veggies for my rats and other pets including green beans, I assume elevated sodium would be bad for the fish as well, but Im just speculating. It may be possible to get canned veggies without added salt but im not sure if that would effect how long they stay good or what.

annageckos
12-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Duckweed is a big hit with goldfish and so is anacharis. Most veggies, dark leafy greens(no iceburg lettuce), beans, peas.