PDA

View Full Version : Giant Gourami and Irridescent Catfish

PinkSapphire
12-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Compatiblity charts are awesome, but I could use some real life experience...

Pink Sapphire (giant gourami) and Plec will be moving into her new tank in a few days. Since I know that GG's are territorial and aggressive, I've got to be extremely selective if I'm going to add anyone else.

My husband's coworker bought an irridescent catfish from some Petstore and now that it is 12" long, it needs a new home. I've read quite a bit on them and I know it will get BIIIIGGGGG! Not to mention they are skittish and crash into things. Well, husband brought home the catfish.

Now, Sapphire doesn't bother Plec except for the occasional nudge (no biting damage at all on him, so I'm comfortable). Hoping that the new cat would be another bottom dweller (which she shouldn't bother as much), I arranged a supervised meet and greet. This did not go over well. Sapphire made it very clear that this was HER tank and no newbies would be welcome. So now she's still picking catfish slime and skin from between her teeth and the catfish has some interesting new markings. He's fine, but she did break the skin.

I think I've only got one other option before I have to re-home the catfish... I've heard that when you add a GG to a tank with an existing population, they are more likely to accept tank mates. Plec was living in the tank when I put her in and she does well with him. I put the catfish in the new tank which has to finish cycling for a few more days (it is post-ammonia spike, with 0.1-0.2 nitrites and about 5-10 nitrates). My hope is that the cat will claim the tank and that Sapphire will accept him when she moves in. If not, cat is going to need a new home.

So, what are your experiences with introducing tank mates to aggressive fish? Any tips, advice? Anyone want a giant catfish? ;-)

thanks and cheers

Northernguy
12-22-2009, 06:37 PM
I don't think your tank is big enough for an id shark.They can reach 4 ft if your tank walls don't bust.
A zoo or public aquarium os good home for them.
They are not really bottom fish ,all the ones I have seen a foot or so all more mid tank.
Thats just my two cents. I would add the shark first.The gourami may still go after it.They are a very dominant fish.

AABatteries
12-22-2009, 07:04 PM
I hope you have a spare 1000g laying around. All of those fish can get very large.

PinkSapphire
12-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Oh don't I know it! I kind of got sucked into that situation that we're all warned against.

My dream (and we all know how well those tend to turn out) is to have a 6'x4'x3' tank (~500g)/pet center with the tank on top of a giant dog crate. But since we're suffering from Furlough Fridays, the dream tank may have to wait a year or two. In the meantime, the 150 will have to do for Sapphire. There is also the possibility of a large pond in the backyard (1/2 acre in northern CA) sometime in the future that Cat could have.

So I guess my best case scenario is that Cat claims the new tank and Sapphire accepts him, and that Cat stays small enough until the big tank (or pond) can be built.

I have a feeling that this is not going to work out though. I'll have to do some research and calling to see if anyone appropriate could take Cat off my hands if need be. I could use suggestions.

Northernguy
12-22-2009, 07:21 PM
:19: How about a Zoo or Public Aquarium!lol