PDA

View Full Version : bamboo/wood shrimp escaper

HomaridNoob6
12-22-2009, 03:07 AM
I have some wood shrimp in a couple of my community tanks, I have never heard of or experienced this before, the bamboo shrimp in my eclipse 12gal somehow climbed into the filter box. No clue how he managed it, I know crabs and crayfish are amazing escape artists, but never thought shrimp would be. They can't breathe out of water like many crabs can, can they? He was in a small amount of water in the box, right on top of the filter cartridge, but he had to have come fully out of water to get there. Anyone else ever had this happen with a shrimp? I'm not too worried since he can't get out of the tank itself, but it's a bit odd.

annageckos
12-22-2009, 03:49 AM
I have never had it happen but I have heard of cherry and amano shrimp climbing out of tanks.

Jacko
12-22-2009, 05:26 AM
Ghosts, cherries and the like aren't very good at escaping because their legs don't support their weight out of water, bamboo shrimp's legs do and they are excellent at excaping, I've had ones cling to bogwood I take out of the tank during rescapes and I'll find them halfway down the hallway a half hour later, still alive and perfectly happy. Had that happen 4 times now and I've had both for 3 years, still going strong too.:hmm3grin2orange:

Wild Turkey
12-22-2009, 05:49 AM
Ive also heard they are better at escaping than other fw shrimp. Sounds like it time to seal it up a bit