PDA

View Full Version : panda fish update

Cath
12-21-2009, 11:39 PM
Hi all
Firstly thankyou for all you advice you gave me a couple of weeks back when I rescued 3 fancy gold fish from a bowl sadly one of my goldfish died he was a tiny panda oranda he had never really moved off the bottom of the tank my daughters called him liqourice and it was heartbreaking we just came down stairs in the morning and he was gone this was last sunday. I have continued with 2x weekly water changes and think the tank is now cycled ammonia 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates 15 I know it will continue to be hard work until I have a bigger tank.
Now I know you have been telling me about how gold fish fish trash tanks and plants but this is shocking are they hungry? or just having a bloody good time. It's funny really but last night the tank, their home was stunning now it looks like a battle ground haha.
Do you think it is because they have more space it seem silly but they are only an inch without tail they are literally lifting them from the roots.
Cheers for your help Cath

annageckos
12-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Goldfish eat plants. Anarchis and duckweed seem to be two big favorites. You should try feeding them some veggies, peas, dark leafy greens(healthier, more nutriants), cuke, zuchinni, sqashes ect..... As for them 'trashing' the tank. I dunno? Maybe trying to eat the plants. Maybe it's fun.

Cath
12-21-2009, 11:50 PM
Thankyou
They do have live food each week and fresh peas I didn't know you could give them other greens
Thanks Cath

Rue
12-21-2009, 11:52 PM
Yup! Lettuce (NOT iceberg), zucchini, cucumber, orange slices...all good!

My goldies are fairly wellp-behaved, but some like moving things around...

You could try floating a ping-pong ball for them...see if they like to play with that...

Cath
12-22-2009, 11:10 PM
Hi
Christmas shopping tomorrow ping pong balls on the list I will try the other stuff too.
They don't seem to eat the plants just trash them my daughter thinks it's funny, but she's not paying.
It is funny to watch though better than the telly.
Cath

Rue
12-22-2009, 11:14 PM
They're very smart. If they're close by, you might be able to train them to do some simple tricks...