PDA

View Full Version : Moss help--will this work?

Tanichthys
12-21-2009, 05:23 PM
I've been looking all over for plain old java moss to grow on some driftwood, but all they have at the lfs are "moss balls." They have both the algae looking ones (finer, brighter green) and the more java-moss looking ones. I picked up one that appeared to be java moss hoping to cut it into pieces and tie onto my driftwood. Will this work??

Thanks!

Lab_Rat
12-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Yes, some of the stores are selling java moss wrapped around a core as moss balls. You can cut it off and tie it to whatever you want. The marimo balls are a bit different (it's actually algae) but I guess you could cut those up and string it to stuff too.

Tanichthys
12-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Awesome lab_rat--you're the best. I wish these shops would use scientific names for things. "Moss ball" isn't very helpful. But it's definitely not the marimo, which they also had.

Algenco
12-21-2009, 06:00 PM
they are trying to make more money from an inexpensive item.
Take $.10 worth of Java moss, tie it to a $.05 cork, add a piece of fishing line and a $.05 weight, sell it for $5

Tanichthys
12-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Works for me! I'm sure I could find a lot more java moss for $5, but no one seems to sell it around here. At least I know this should work.

Lab_Rat
12-21-2009, 06:54 PM
It will grow quickly too, soon you will have more than you ever wanted. :hmm3grin2orange:

Taurus
12-21-2009, 08:53 PM
It will grow quickly too, soon you will have more than you ever wanted. :hmm3grin2orange:

And you'll wish you never saw the stuff. :hmm3grin2orange:

Tanichthys
12-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Oh great. Is it hard to control? I read online that it can grow in HOB filters and destroy them. Is this true? I think some small pieces were sucked up in my new filter...

Lab_Rat
12-21-2009, 10:10 PM
I never had a problem with that, it just grows wildly if it likes your tank. You'll be pulling out handfuls every couple of weeks. I've got a bunch in my 5g for my RCS and for the Endler fry.

Taurus
12-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Oh great. Is it hard to control? I read online that it can grow in HOB filters and destroy them. Is this true? I think some small pieces were sucked up in my new filter...

No, not if you keep it under control. If you're worried about Java Moss getting into your HOB filter, just put a sponge, or mesh over the intake of your filter.

You should be fine if you do regular maintenance on your tank and filter including weekly water changes.

Algenco
12-21-2009, 11:21 PM
I've found pieces wrapped around the impeller, but I don't believe it could hurt one.

Like others have said, if it likes your tank it will grow very well.
Don't be concerned if it takes awhile to see new growth, acclimation to your tank might take a few weeks.
I've gotten rid of most of my Java and switched to Fissidens fontanus, much nicer looking and very slow growing.

I sent Mith close to 1/2# of Java:hmm3grin2orange:

Tanichthys
12-22-2009, 04:50 AM
Thanks everyone. I hope it likes my tank. Better moss than algae right? At least I can rip the moss off of the wood...Or give it to this Mith character. Plus I hear fry like it, and now I'm starting to think it would be fun to see a few baby cloud minnows...

Algenco--
I googled f. fontanus, and that stuff looks awesome. Had a hard enough time finding the java moss however. I keep trying to find the "easy" stuff, and it turns out nothing is easy.