PDA

View Full Version : Tank mates for Bettas

Bellie816
12-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Sorry for all the posts..lol I am on a roll here!!

Would ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp be suitable tank mates for a Betta? Or will he eat them?

I was also thinking about getting 3 red-tailed dalmatian Platys after 2 or 3 weeks of having the Betta. Do you think they will be suitable tank mates? I'm looking for a hard-water and high PH friendly tank mate for a Betta if the Platys won't work.

Thanks for your help!! thumbs2:

rich311k
12-20-2009, 11:57 PM
The shrimp depends on the betta some will bother them some wont. The platys could be nice tank mates again it depends on you betta. I have ember tetras in with my bettas in ten gallon tanks.

Bellie816
12-21-2009, 12:06 AM
I would love to have tetras but I don't think they would do well in my hard water (300 ppm) and my high PH (8.2). I don't want to be adjusting the PH since it probably won't work anyway, and don't want to buy water for the tank either. Just want something that will thrive the way it is!! :)

Northernguy
12-21-2009, 03:18 AM
Most fish can adapt to your ph as long as they aren't wild caught.Most farm bred fish will have no problem.Drip acclimation is great way to introduce them to your tank.

debbie51975
12-21-2009, 06:49 PM
I had platys with my betta. Actually, at one point my betta was in with kissers, pleco, red tail, blue gourami....he did fine. That was about 2 years ago. His death was some bazaar bloat issue. No matter what I tried to treat him with...still miss him.

Lab_Rat
12-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Platies and a betta should get along, depending on the individual temperament of the betta of course. I'd try to get all female platies since a male may anger the betta by trying to mate with it. I would also try ghosties over RCS as they're larger and less likely to become dinner (and much cheaper if they do).

Deleted User
12-21-2009, 07:54 PM
We've kept bettas with platies, glowlight tetras and corys w/o problems thumbs2:

HorrorShowRot
12-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Iv had bettas with rummy nose tetras and corys all depends on the temperment of the betta:)

souly
12-24-2009, 07:32 AM
My Betta shares a tank with an African Dwarf Frog. They almost never see each other.

Pele
12-24-2009, 05:07 PM
A good test to see if your betta is too agressive for the platy is to place a fish from another tank of yours with him for a while (maybe an hour) Monitor the betta closly. Does he flare alot at the intruder? Does he chase he fish? Or does he just leave him alone. For the shrimp, I agree with Lab-Rat, Gs over RC