PDA

View Full Version : Plastic plants and aquarium ornaments

Bellie816
12-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Does anyone have a Betta housed with plastic plants and/or aquarium ornaments? If so, have you had any problems with this as far as injuries to the Betta or his fins?

I know a lot of reading suggests using silk plants or real plants, but I figured plastic was the easiest and cheapest way to go. I also have tank ornaments (2 of them) so I'm not sure if this is going to be a problem.

Northernguy
12-20-2009, 11:24 PM
I have a plastic plant but mostly silk plants.They are much softer and will not hurt your betta.

tori.lock
12-21-2009, 03:24 AM
I've heard plastic plants tend to rip their fins, but I have no experience with it. Mine is housed with all real plants, which is very easy. So far I haven't had to do anything to care for them other than removing diatoms and occasional pruning. The betta supplies plenty of nutrients for them, but if I need to I'm ready to put some root tabs in.

For decorations I have a plastic root system, a rather controversial piece of have in an aquarium but I've never had any problems with it. Some fish swim down and into them and because they're hollow down to the roots they tend to get stuck. I know some people have filled them in with substrate to prevent that, but my betta loves to sit out and watch from inside and I'm afraid if I fill up a part of it it'll be too much that he can't turn around it. I've personally never had a problem with them, but because so many people have I won't recommend it without a warning. It looks great, and he loves it. For other decorations anything will work so long as it doesn't have anything that his fins can snag on. Almost any aquarium-safe toy is betta-safe.

iZinedane
12-21-2009, 03:25 AM
Be careful on using them! i recommend silk plants or much better live plants
a bettas fins are very delicate so sharp edges can tear them.

VoidParadigm
12-21-2009, 04:31 AM
It really depends on the brand and type of plastic plant. I have several plastic plants that give way to the fish swimming by them much easier than my silk ones, yet I also have plastic plants which are hard and pointy as stone and would just rip a Betta's fins to shreds. Just be careful when selecting. The fish should be able to push the plant without any effort at all.

korith
12-21-2009, 04:54 AM
Maybe just run your hand over any plants and decorations for sharp edges. I'd probably just go with silk plants.

If you are gonna have a light on the tank, you could always try a low light plant.

iZinedane
12-21-2009, 04:57 AM
Maybe just run your hand over any plants and decorations for sharp edges. I'd probably just go with silk plants.

If you are gonna have a light on the tank, you could always try a low light plant.
+1 for planted, mines a planted 5g betta tank and my betta absolutely loves it!
he explores around all day and blows me bubblenests

Lab_Rat
12-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Agree you need to check for any sharp edges on the plastic plants. If there is any part at all that feels pointy I'd ditch the plant. Silk plants are about the same price as plastic ones and live plants have so many benefits for the aquarium.

aspects
12-21-2009, 09:03 AM
figured plastic was the easiest and cheapest way to go.

plants like java ferns and anubias are failry inexpensive (especially if you can find someone who grows them locally) and very easy to care for. not only will they provide safe hiding places for your betta, but they will also help stabilize your water parameters. i would definitely suggest looking into some easy to care for, low light plants.

Bellie816
12-21-2009, 12:00 PM
plants like java ferns and anubias are failry inexpensive (especially if you can find someone who grows them locally) and very easy to care for. not only will they provide safe hiding places for your betta, but they will also help stabilize your water parameters. i would definitely suggest looking into some easy to care for, low light plants.

Well, the only place that sells live plants within a few hours of my house is Meijers. And of course they didn't know jack when I asked them. I have the aquarium hood that takes two of those smaller, clear bulbs. When I looked at the bulbs for plants they were the flourescent kind that were long, and I don't want to buy a whole separate hood from that. My tank is not in an area where it will receive any sunlight at all, and not much light from the house either. Most all of the light will be from the hood. I didn't think that plants would survive with just regular clear bulbs. The guy at the store had no idea about the light requirements of the plants (don't they know *anything* about what they sell??) so I got frustrated and ditched the idea. LOL So that's how I ended up with plastic plants! The silk ones were actually a decent amount more than the plastic, and they didn't have any tall ones- just small and medium. I wanted some tall ones to level out the look. I also have been bouncing back and forth about which fish to get... I wasn't completely sold on the idea of a Betta when I purchased the plants. :hmm3grin2orange:

aspects
12-21-2009, 12:14 PM
if its the screw in type, usually you can replace them with CFL bulbs. but even with the bulbs you already have, you will be able to keep some low light plants. java ferns will live in very low light situations. they wont grow quickly or anything, but they wont die. same with different kinds of mosses and anubias.

but that still leaves you driving a few hours for them (or having them shipped to you)

Blackmantis
12-28-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm going to be buying java fern for my betta. I already have a fake drift wood ornament that I bought from Petsmart. It sits in the middle of the aquarium but my betta seems to stay away from it for some reason.

I'd like him to take advantage of the hiding spots it provides every once in a while, but he seems content hugging the walls of the aquarium. Maybe I'll throw in a couple tetra once my tank has been cycled.

Northernguy
12-28-2009, 03:22 PM
I find there is a huge difference in cost between plastic and silk plants.
Live is always better but not that available to some of us.

-Lp
12-28-2009, 06:18 PM
if its the screw in type, usually you can replace them with CFL bulbs.

+1 That's what I use in my 10g. planted, and they're doing their job for sure.

Pele
12-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Try runing a pair on pantyhose over the decoration in question. If they snag, dont use it!

Blackmantis
12-28-2009, 11:50 PM
I find there is a huge difference in cost between plastic and silk plants.
Live is always better but not that available to some of us.

Yeah, didn't realize how much was involved until I found out that substrate, more powerful lighting, fertilizers, and in some cases CO2 injection would be involved in the cost on top of the plants.

korith
12-29-2009, 07:03 AM
Yeah, didn't realize how much was involved until I found out that substrate, more powerful lighting, fertilizers, and in some cases CO2 injection would be involved in the cost on top of the plants.

You could get by with a low light plant in just plain old gravel, and some basic lighting. I was able to get an amazon sword that grew well in just gravel, after I started adding a fertilizer root tablet for it every few weeks.

A planted tank is only as complicated or serious as you make it:P substrate, lighting, ferts, co2, help plants of course, but you can easily grow plants w/o all of those. Just keeps things simple. I still haven't tried co2, but will some day.

souly
12-29-2009, 11:06 AM
My betta rarely hides or "floats" In my Live plant and always hangs out in the fake ones. I've had plastic plants with him and his fins are the same. He's a rather old Betta for Betta standards. The fern should be fine in the hoods lighting, I would keep root taps if your do go live plants as from what i know the bulbs that come with hoods like that are rather basic spectum wise. And from what i've seen, you can live plants for the same, if not less than the fakes. If you can, Petsmart actually sells Java ferns you can buy in small plastic containers for like five bucks. I'm actually thinking of planting out his 10 gallon tank and replacting his hood. That way the frog and him will have nice plants to go in.

aspects
12-29-2009, 12:48 PM
You could get by with a low light plant in just plain old gravel, and some basic lighting. I was able to get an amazon sword that grew well in just gravel, after I started adding a fertilizer root tablet for it every few weeks.

A planted tank is only as complicated or serious as you make it:P substrate, lighting, ferts, co2, help plants of course, but you can easily grow plants w/o all of those. Just keeps things simple. I still haven't tried co2, but will some day.

Indeed.

These thing are not needed for low light plants. Plain old gravel or sand substrate will be fine. No need for fancy lights. And you definitely don't need Co2 or fertilizers.
Plants like java ferns and mosses will grow in almost NO light. I keep my java fern starters in a bin in an upstairs room the bin is translucent but not clear and has no additional light. Furthermore, the room has curtains on the windows. Aside for the bedroom light being on for 20min a day, and the dim glow of daylight through the curtains, the ferns get no light, and yet are alive and growing (though slowly)