PDA

View Full Version : The ride home

Bellie816
12-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Any suggestions on the ride home from the store with the betta? They are in those little jars and I noticed they get pretty riled up when you pick the jar up. How do you keep them as calm as possible on the way home? We are like 20 minutes away from the nearest store, lol.

A little venting:
I know everyone else here seems to hate the fact that bettas are abused in the pet stores. I absolutely hate it! I hate how they have them all in those small jars, and half of them are floating and half dead and they don't seem to care. I mean, if they decide to take in that many bettas (meijers has like 25 of them lined up in un-heated, dirty little containers) they should have the proper tanks for them. And then they don't even have the decency to separate the containers so the bettas can see each other and are all stressed out and flaring up all day. That can't be good for their health. It is so depressing to look at them. I just can't wait until my 10 gal is cycled so I can rescue one of those poor beautiful bettas and give them a wonderful home!

Okay.. I'm done, lol.

rich311k
12-20-2009, 11:18 PM
They will actually put the fish in a bag. He will be fine on the ride home.

Northernguy
12-20-2009, 11:23 PM
I hear your rant! To bad nothing will ever be done about it.
20 minutes is nothing in a cup.They live in them until you give it a tank.

rich I have always got the cup.Never a bag. Your lucky!lol

Bellie816
12-20-2009, 11:25 PM
I hear your rant! To bad nothing will ever be done about it.
20 minutes is nothing in a cup.They live in them until you give it a tank.

rich I have always got the cup.Never a bag. Your lucky!lol

Well I just meant because when you handle the cup they dart around frantically and flare up and stuff... I just want my little guy to be comfortable. :) Thanks for the info!

tori.lock
12-21-2009, 03:16 AM
When I bought mine I took him home on the bus! He was fine in his little cup, and they certainly didn't put him in a bag. When I drove home with him I put him in a cup and he was fine, and that was for 6 hours, then 2 hours the following day. To help keep him calm I put some substrate and a small plant in with him and just kept him between my legs the whole time. If he fits in the cup holder you could try that, too. It was my original plan, but it was too big. 20 minutes in a car shouldn't be a problem for a betta.

Northernguy
12-21-2009, 03:20 AM
Keep the cup or bag in a dark area if you are concerned.A bag or just about anything that blocks light will work.

Bellie816
12-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the replies! thumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
12-21-2009, 02:30 PM
In the wild, Betta's live in very shallow rice paddies. That small amount of water is keeping them with nature. The colored water is medication added.
These fish are fighters so it's impossible to ship them together. What we see as abuse may not be for them at all or thousands would not get shipping in this manner.

Northernguy
12-21-2009, 02:36 PM
In the wild, Betta's live in very shallow rice paddies. That small amount of water is keeping them with nature. The colored water is medication added.
These fish are fighters so it's impossible to ship them together. What we see as abuse may not be for them at all or thousands would not get shipping in this manner.

:14: Sorry Lady Hobbs! IMO They use those small cups so they don't have to waste tank space.
The small containers were used originally for transport to and from the fights.Also to rile up the fish before the fight by placing them side by side.As far as I know the small container idea stuck.A lot of the fish were also released back into the wild to heal and later be caught again.
Thats all I can find on the history of the small containers.There is nothing really documented on it.
If there is any litetature on them I would sure like to see it.

Rue
12-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Bettas, with their labyrinth organ, can survive in small amounts of 'dirty' (low oxygen) water. This is because some live in areas where the water they live in 'dries' up periodically - and they need to be able to survive until the next rain or flooding. However, for the most part, even the puddles they live in still amount to 100s if not 1000s of gallons...

I still blame the 'betta vase' idiots for this misconception. I'm not as irritated with the pet stores...there really aren't more convenient short-term housing options available...but the water NEEDS to be changed every 2 days...and many pet stores may not be doing that...and THAT would be their fault...

Problem is that people take the example set by short-term pet store care as an example of appropriate long-term housing...

VoidParadigm
12-21-2009, 03:48 PM
*dives for cover as another stupid betta arguement could raise it's head* :14: =P

In any case, regardless of whether or not the cup is a good idea for it, twenty minutes is absolutely nothing. After all people -ship- fish through the mail. Often across entire oceans. Imagine how long those fish have to stay in cramped quarters! Airplanes, trucks, boats! Twenty minutes in your car is heaven compared to that. :P

A bag seems like a dumb idea anyways. Chances are most of those carppy petstores if you asked them to bag the fish would just go scoop it out of an existing, probably even more ammonia-filled tank, with all sorts of disease and detritus floating in the water.

Good luck, and happy betta-hunting.

Lab_Rat
12-21-2009, 04:57 PM
You can also cover the cup (like with a paper bag) so it's dark and the betta can't see you grabbing the cup, etc. Yes the cups are horrible environments for them to live in, but it should only be temporary and the water should be changed daily if the store is any sort of decent.

As far as bettas living in puddles, they do but as pointed out previously, the puddles are 100s to 1000s of gallons, not 1/16 gallon. Imagine how quickly that would dry up in Thailand heat.

Bellie816
12-21-2009, 10:16 PM
The fact that they are in cups still sucks no matter how you look at it. In the wild, they are free to swim where they please. Not in 1/2 cup of water. And then the water just rots and the fish look awful. Even though they can't store Bettas together and they ship them in the cups, that doesn't mean they need to leave them in cups. Like someone else said on this post... it's so they can save room and not have to "waste space" in bigger tanks. It also makes me mad that these stores like Meijers and Walmart have "pet sections" and they don't know *anything* about what they are selling or how to care for them.. and then even worse they are actually telling people how to care for these fish and have no idea what they are talking about. Don't sell them if you don't have knowledgable associates! It was more just venting because I hate the way they take care of the fish there. Not just Bettas, either...the bigger fish tanks have like 10 dead fish in the tank and some so rotted there is just bones left. They need to take better care of them! :ssmile: Thanks for listening, lol

Lab_Rat
12-22-2009, 12:23 AM
Yes, but it's a business. If you don't shop at places like that and they lose business then they are more likely to change their ways of keeping fish.

Rue
12-22-2009, 12:53 AM
Maybe it's not the pet stores that should be pressured to change things (if things should be changed)...maybe the breeders should be pressured into insisting their livestock have improved housing...

VoidParadigm
12-22-2009, 01:32 AM
Breeding fish is also primarily a business to the large breeding farms though, too, Rue.

And gosh darn catfish, I told myself I wasn't going to get into this!

annageckos
12-22-2009, 02:29 AM
In the petstore I worked at years ago we always had a lot of bettas. If you think the little cup they are in in the stores are bad, you should see what they where shipped to us in. Each betta was in a sealed little bag. The bag was about 2-2 1/2 inches long, maybe 2 inches tall and barly wider than the fish. It held about 3/4 inch of water. When the betta shipment came in I always dropped what I was doing and got them out as fast as possible. Most the time there was not enough water to cover the fish so they had to lay on thier sides.
But for the trip home the betta will be fine in what ever he comes in till you get home.

Bellie816
12-22-2009, 11:23 AM
In the petstore I worked at years ago we always had a lot of bettas. If you think the little cup they are in in the stores are bad, you should see what they where shipped to us in. Each betta was in a sealed little bag. The bag was about 2-2 1/2 inches long, maybe 2 inches tall and barly wider than the fish. It held about 3/4 inch of water. When the betta shipment came in I always dropped what I was doing and got them out as fast as possible. Most the time there was not enough water to cover the fish so they had to lay on thier sides.
But for the trip home the betta will be fine in what ever he comes in till you get home.

Wow that is awful! At least you got them out of there as quickly as possible :)

souly
12-24-2009, 07:31 AM
as I understand it, the breedered themselves have the poor little guys in Bottles until they sell them to the store in which they get put into those little cups, as bettas will live in small puddles or ponds of water in the wild, isn't really a problem for them, but it sure does suck. But in reality, Since the betta is a usally a solitary fish, the store can't realistically get a tank for each one even looking at half gallon tank would take up a lot of space in a store for 10 bettas. I'm not preching the thing, I hate seeing bettas in those cups even more so when they arn't well cleaned, but they do have these other methods for displaying them. The LFS actually has these cubible setups for them, and the female bettas get their own 20g tank.