PDA

View Full Version : brackish or salt? 55 gallon

reds_21
12-19-2009, 10:39 PM
I am an experienced FW tank keeper (55 gallon) and have been considering going to completely salt or maybe even brackish.

i was reading all the other brakish threads but still have a few questions.

i have read that if you were to keep a pure salt water tank, its easier to maintain it if its 65 gallon or higher. that is correct right?

does the same thing apply with a brackish tank set up?

whats the difference between brackish and salt? is it just the type of fish you can have?

isnt brackish pretty much a salt water tank set up? just less salt?

how much more expensive is the equipment for a brackish tank compared to a fresh water tank?

still in the air about the route i should go.

any light that can be shed on this would be greatly appreciated!

smaug
12-19-2009, 10:58 PM
bw is super easy to maintain as the parameters are not nearly as important as sw and bw fish are very tolerant of fluctuations as that is a common occurrence in there natural environment.I keep a bw 20 gal with a puffer,knight goby and bumble bee goby.Variety in fish choices are a big problem with bw as there are only 10 or so species and none of them are especially pretty but some are interesting such as archers or puffers.

reds_21
12-19-2009, 11:12 PM
thanks smaug.

i know that the upkeep on salt is rather extensive but wasnt aware of brakish tank setups.

i also wondered about the species that were available other than puffers. just like anyone else, i am really interested in the puffer species. it sounds as if i were to get a puffer, thats the only thing i could get due to there temper. is that true?

i noticed you have gobys in there as well. the puffer does not effect them at all? i thought gobies were straight salt water fish. am i wrong?

i also dont want to set a brackish tank up and then have to transfer the fish to a salt water tank later down the road. i wont have to do this with puffers right?

splitadams
12-20-2009, 01:12 AM
thanks smaug.

i know that the upkeep on salt is rather extensive but wasnt aware of brakish tank setups.

i also wondered about the species that were available other than puffers. just like anyone else, i am really interested in the puffer species. it sounds as if i were to get a puffer, thats the only thing i could get due to there temper. is that true?

i noticed you have gobys in there as well. the puffer does not effect them at all? i thought gobies were straight salt water fish. am i wrong?

i also dont want to set a brackish tank up and then have to transfer the fish to a salt water tank later down the road. i wont have to do this with puffers right?

theres plenty of puffers that live in brackish only, but most are quite aggressive, but im currently keeping a milk spotted puffer that isnt aggressive towards anything except gudgeons for some reason.
steer clear of gsp's they do need marine in full age and are extremely aggressive

as for other brackish fish, you could try archers, scats, monos, bream, bbg's,
barramundi (does get extremely large tho), gudgeons, mudskippers, bullrouts and even mollies can live and thrive in brackish infact can even thrive in full marine aswell.
i wouldnt keep them all together it would be mayhem.
oh and its really easy to keep brackish, you pretty much treat it as if it was fresh except add marine salt and never make salinity changes of over .002 at one time because it will kill the beneficial bacteria in your tank and start the cycling process all over again
oh and while im on the subject, just to make sure, you may already know, but NEVER keep a puffer in an un-cycled tank, it WILL die theyre extremely sensitive to no2, no3 and ammonia.
so just make sure you have the brackish thing figured out before you do
put a puff in there, its terrible seeing them dying because they appear almost human like with theyre huge eyes and fleshy lips

aspects
12-20-2009, 01:31 AM
the problem with brackish is a lot of BW fish tend to get pretty big.
archers scats and monos are awesome fish, but they do get kind of big.

the idea behind the larger tank stands as true for SW as it does for BW and FW. essentially, the larger your water column, the more stable your water parameters will be. but if you keep up with regular maintenence, keeping a smaller tank isnt really much harder at all.

smaug
12-20-2009, 02:47 AM
Just some limited puffer knowledge I have acquired.I had my puffer in the tank at the beginning and cycled the tank with him in there.Granted it was with some seeded media but that was from a fw tank so its benefit was negligible.I simply kept up with water changes as usual and everything was fine.The gobys I keep actually require very little salt in the water and can actually be kept fw.The knight and the fig 8 aren't best of friends but there is never any real damage.The bumblebees are so small and quick they are in no danger of the slow fig 8.Thats my experience.

splitadams
12-20-2009, 03:11 AM
what are you feeding the figure8
they should always be fed "crunchy" foods, crabs, crayfish, shrimp, snails etc

checkout

www.thepufferforum.com

kaybee
12-20-2009, 04:24 AM
...it sounds as if i were to get a puffer, thats the only thing i could get due to there temper. is that true?

...steer clear of gsp's they do need marine in full age and are extremely aggressive...

Puffers can be kept with fish of either similar aggression levels or with fish that are well-equipped to fend for themselves. Not sure how many BW fish meet that criteria though.

A flame hawkfish has resided in my (saltwater) green spotted puffer/GSP tank for a number of years and does quite well (to the extent that it will steal food from a GSP). I tried a damsel once but it was too aggressive toward the GSP. Something like small mollies though might eventually get killed/eaten by a GSP.

smaug
12-20-2009, 05:03 AM
what are you feeding the figure8
they should always be fed "crunchy" foods, crabs, crayfish, shrimp, snails etc

checkout

www.thepufferforum.com
He gets small pond snails on occasion and mostly frozen foods such as krill and bloodworms.He is doing great on this diet.Ive read a good deal about there care.

splitadams
12-22-2009, 07:20 AM
It'll take a while but feeding your puffer mostly krill and bloodworms will
cause his beak to overgrow and eventually he wont be able to open his mouth
and will no longer be able to eat, and will need dentist work done to avoid starving him to death,
because an "occasional" snail isn't enough it should
be fed crunchy foods daily and meaty foods on the odd occasion
and also frozen krill its self is a big no-no food for puffers and also some other
predatory fish it causes lockjaw which also will leave you puffer unable to eat

i reckon you should look into breeding snails its really easy and you will have a
permanent free supply of puffer food

please check out http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
im sure you want to be able to keep your
puffer healthy and happy

smaug
12-22-2009, 10:22 PM
It'll take a while but feeding your puffer mostly krill and bloodworms will
cause his beak to overgrow and eventually he wont be able to open his mouth
and will no longer be able to eat, and will need dentist work done to avoid starving him to death,
because an "occasional" snail isn't enough it should
be fed crunchy foods daily and meaty foods on the odd occasion
and also frozen krill its self is a big no-no food for puffers and also some other
predatory fish it causes lockjaw which also will leave you puffer unable to eat

i reckon you should look into breeding snails its really easy and you will have a
permanent free supply of puffer food

please check out http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
im sure you want to be able to keep your
puffer healthy and happy
Maybe you are confused as to my snail feeding regime.He gets more then enough.Thanks for the concern.I have never heard of this "lockjaw" issue with krill and other predatory fish.How many years does it take to manifest itself?Ive been feeding the stuff for quite some time now to many of my fish.
Ok I just researched lockjaw.It wouldnt be a danger in my case as the fish get far more then just the krill.Thx for making me aware of it but it doesnt apply.I always fed a large variety of foods to all my fish.

splitadams
12-22-2009, 10:46 PM
im not entirely sure how long it takes
i just know it happens, if you look it up
im sure you'll find more info

smaug
12-23-2009, 01:12 AM
im not entirely sure how long it takes
i just know it happens, if you look it up
im sure you'll find more info
I already did research it as I mentioned in my lat post.It doesnt apply to my situation .

splitadams
12-25-2009, 01:57 AM
oh right, i must have just skipped past the green writing