PDA

View Full Version : What shrimp are best?

Rue
04-20-2007, 07:48 PM
I think I'd like to try some shrimp in my 25g.

Not sure that I want the ghost shrimp...I can barely find them or see what they're up to...

Couldn't find a cherry shrimp to look at...

...did find a striped shrimp (forgot the name) but it was miniscule and very expensive...haven't seen the algae shrimp yet...the bamboo shrimp were also rather expensive...and if I want more than one, and they don't bred in the tank...I'm going to have to shell out a considerable amount of $$$...

Which I might do...but I need to know a bit more about the shrimp...

...and not about their biology...but about success in keeping them...

They also need to get along with the corys and the bristlenose/rubberlipped pleco I also want to get...

Chrona
04-20-2007, 08:27 PM
You can buy cherry shrimp off of breeders, 15 for like 20 bucks shipped, guaranteed alive. Lemme know if you want details. Most come as juvies though, which are like 1/4-1/2 inch long, as they ship better. As for biology, I have yet to research it thoroughly, but most breeders seem to have slightly alkaline water with lots and lots of moss.

cocoa_pleco
04-20-2007, 10:15 PM
cherry shrimp, and marble shrimp are cool. Petsmart often has large marbles for 15$.

Of course, the old ghostshrimp are good too

Rue
04-20-2007, 10:45 PM
The price on the marble (bamboo) shrimp is awfully steep...I hear they're getting some japanese shrimp in any day now...and at only $10 a pop!

cocoa_pleco
04-20-2007, 11:02 PM
japanese are cool. The marbles are a expensive investment

SouthernGal0682
04-21-2007, 02:59 PM
I love my amano shrimp! Not only do I like watching them "fight" my tetras off with their feelers, but they are the best clean-up crew I have ever had. I paid $6.99 for 3 at the LFS.

Chrona
04-21-2007, 04:04 PM
I love my amano shrimp! Not only do I like watching them "fight" my tetras off with their feelers, but they are the best clean-up crew I have ever had. I paid $6.99 for 3 at the LFS.

Wow, shrimp is cheap down there lol. My LFS was selling them for 8 bucks a pop. T.T

Rue
04-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Why are shrimp so expensive up here? I wanna get 3 for $6.99 too!

Is it that they're new and in demand and supply hasn't quite caught up yet? Or are they that hard to breed?

Chrona
04-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Amano shrimp have been around for a little while. It's cherry shrimp and crystal red shrimp that are the newcomers, and hence usually expensive. However, it's rather easy to breed cherries and somewhat easy to breed crystal reds. I haven't really heard of many hobbyists breeding amano shrimp though because they require brackish water to breed or something.

SouthernGal0682
04-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Yeah the only thing that is REALLY expensive here is discus, but I think thats pretty much the case anywhere. The place I got my amanos from does discounts when you buy multiples. I think it was $2.99 for 1, $4.99 for 2, and $6.99 for 3. thumbs2:

freshwaterfishlover
04-22-2007, 02:54 AM
GREAT SITE TO BUY SHRIMP.

http://www.franksaquarium.com/freshwatershrimpfarm.htm

Chrona
04-22-2007, 02:58 AM
GREAT SITE TO BUY SHRIMP.

http://www.franksaquarium.com/freshwatershrimpfarm.htm

Most of them are out of stock lol.

Best place to buy cherry shrimp is still from other hobbyists though

freshwaterfishlover
04-22-2007, 03:11 AM
I noticed he is mostly sold out, but he is usually more in stock.