PDA

View Full Version : CUC recomendations

labnjab
12-19-2009, 05:19 PM
I think its time to start adding more to our cuc. Between what we had in the 2 29 gallons its not nearly enough for the new 75. Here's what I think we have now

10 astrea snails
5 cerith snails
8 nassuris (sp?) snails
10 blue legged hermits
1 Coral banded shrimp
2 Brittle Star fish

I have no clue how many more to add for a larger tank since all we've had were 2 29 gallons and the cuc was very understocked for those. I know we want more nassuris, a few turbos and maybe a few larger hermits, but other then that we have no clue. We want it to be as efficient as possible and we'd like a few of the more unique species (stuff we don't have). Were looking for more derutis and excess food eaters then algae eaters since we'll be feeding our sun daily and lps fairly often. Thank you for any suggestions

ILuvMyGoldBarb
12-19-2009, 05:22 PM
The nassarius snails will be a great choice for detritus. THat Coral Banded Shrimp pretty much limits you to a single shrimp. If not for that, I'd recommend a couple of Skunk Cleaners.

labnjab
12-19-2009, 07:20 PM
I love the nassarius snails. I'll probably order some more today. Is there anything else we should add? Maybe up the snail and crab numbers?

Fishguy2727
12-19-2009, 07:30 PM
I would get some of the Jumbo Nassarius snails. I also have margarita snails, electric blue knuckle hermits, electric orange knuckle (a.k.a. halloween) hermit, scarlet hermit, and a sea hare.

Miltonic
12-19-2009, 07:32 PM
I recommend you go to reefcleaners.org and send them your tank size current cuc and other info and they'll send a list of what you should add. I hightly recommend them since when I got my Cuc they even sent me free extras!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
12-19-2009, 07:53 PM
If your algae is in check, then I'd suggest staying with what you have. Contrary to what many people believe, the hermit crabs are primarily for algae cleanup, not detritus. Your nassarius and the stars should keep things clean.

labnjab
12-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll be ordering from my friend who owns the store within walking distance from our apartment. He has very low overhead so his prices are dirt cheap, plus no shipping to pay. But I will probably use reefcleaners.org to get the amount we need. We just ordered 10 Nassarius snails from him for a little over $1 each.

I'll so also look into those hermits as well fishguy, although we are mainly concerned about derutis. Our algae is pretty much in check. We are going through a diatom stage now but only on the glass and sand and is easily taken care of. We also just ordered a small rabbitfish (Siganus unimaculatus) which were going to qt for a month, but once added to the display will take care of any hair algae that develops. The little that is there is going away fast.

Good suggestions, keep them coming