PDA

View Full Version : manciniat, 75 gal.

manciniat
12-19-2009, 05:00 PM
i brought my girls tank home yesterday. for anyone that didnt see my intro, im tony. my two girls ( gretchen 8 and savannah 7 ) are getting, from santa, a 75 gal for their big gift.

so far ive got, 1 emperor 400, a perfect-a-flo undergravel, a two outlet air pump, a 200w hang on heater, and a 50lb bag of natural gravel.

after reading this morning for about two hours, ive decided to take the undergravel back to the store and get another emperor 400 and another 50lb bag of gravel. im also thinking about two submersible heaters instead of the hang on, and for the air pump, maybe a full back wall air curtain.

any suggestions/opinions are greatly appriciated.

on the heaters, should i buy two submersibles, or just another hang on, because i already have one.

thanks to all, im sure in the following weeks, during set up and cycle, ill have some questions. thanks again,

tony

Lady Hobbs
12-19-2009, 05:05 PM
I agree on the two heaters and that more gravel is needed. Also to get rid of the under gravel filter. I think I would check on a canister filter for that tank along with your current filter tho or at least two AC 110's.

I'm not a fan of Emperors, at all.

Northernguy
12-19-2009, 05:06 PM
I would go with the submersible heaters.If you already have a heater just get one for now!
Kudos on getting rid of the ugf.
The air curtain is for looks only.They are not neccesary.Your filters will easily move enough water to keep the tank going.
Look into a rena xp3 canister filter.They are cheap and work great.That with one of your emporors will should be enough.

domjd05
12-20-2009, 01:37 AM
The rena xp3 is a great filter. Good call on taking the undergravel filter back, thats an awesome gift to give your daughters! Are you going to let them stock it? lol.

manciniat
12-20-2009, 03:01 AM
ive looked at that canister filter today, and its alittle to pricey for me right now. the undergravel taken back and $30 will get me another emperor 400.

as for stocking, ive got alot of time to think about what i want. i was planning on taking the girls to the pet store and letting them pick the first few fish, within reason.

i dont really have a clue what my long term stocking plans are. ive been researching that subject all day. i would like to get a good variety of size and color, but no solid plans yet.

lowlight
12-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Submersible heaters are the way to go. I ran my 55gal with 2 HOB filters until I was able to upgrade to a cannister filter. So you should be ok with 2 HOB filters until you can upgrade to a cannister filter. Run one HOB and the cannister together keep the other HOB for a backup filter just in case. Have fun with it, I enjoyed my fish when I was a little kid.

manciniat
12-20-2009, 08:35 PM
good afternoon, i took the undergravel back. switched it for another emperor 400. while i was there, got a marineland steath 250 heater, two thermometers, and 46" of bubble curtain.

i cant find any decoration i really like. i want to keep it as natural looking as possible, driftwood, rocks, and i think plastic plants for now. i did find one piece of ceramic driftwood that wasnt to bad, but thats it.

as for fish, my wife liked black and dalmation mollys, elec yellow lab, and angels. i like tiger barbs.

manciniat
12-22-2009, 02:25 AM
went to three fish stores today, one was really nice. great selection of fish, and the staff seems knowledgeable.

very frustrated with the search for what fish i can have in the same tank. i would like two groups of different colored fish, 10 to 12 per group. my wife likes the dalmation mollies still. would also like the main fish in the tank to be alittle bigger, 3-4", and be able to be in groups of 3 to 6. i need help with fish selection, thank you.

also bought the first piece of decoration, a piece of mopani wood. what are your thoughts on this? not sure if i like it yet, cool shape, just not sure.

thanks,

tony

rich311k
12-22-2009, 02:47 AM
The mopani driftwood is a great decoration and something to build a hardscape around. You could get the mollys and a group of 3-5 rainbow fish, they are larger and quite colorful.

aspects
12-22-2009, 02:54 AM
I agree on the two heaters and that more gravel is needed. Also to get rid of the under gravel filter. I think I would check on a canister filter for that tank along with your current filter tho or at least two AC 110's.

I'm not a fan of Emperors, at all.

AMEN!

in regards to your decor dilemma. youd be surprised what a difference a few live plants will make. and some are extremely easy to care for, requiring almost no extra effort after plating.
if you are set on using fake plants, there are a lot of nice silk plants available at most LFS that will look good as well.

i prefer malaysian driftwood over african types personally, but the main thing is that you like it.

manciniat
12-22-2009, 11:23 PM
im not set on fake plants. i would really like to go real, but have heard from the locals they will just die and are a waste of money. i would love some ideas on those easy to care for live plants, and how to apply them, before, during, or after cycle? trying fishless by the way.

as for fish, this is my queation today, can mollies and platies be together? local guy said sure. aqua adviser said no, due to cross breeding. as for my thoughts today, see what you think,

10 dalmation mollies
6 red platies
1 dwarf, or powder blue gourami
2 angels ( maybe )

i think this combo would be great and beautiful color if it will work.

thanks,
tony

annageckos
12-22-2009, 11:49 PM
That would work. You can also mix the different color mollies, they are the same fish, just different colors. Easy plants include Java fern, anubis and java moss. All these plants needs to be tied onto rocks or driftwood. Do not bury them. Banana plants and lotus are very easy too, but they are heavy feeders and need root tabs placed nearby to feed from. I have also always had pretty good luck with those dry bulbs you can get in walmart or petsmart. Just look at them first and if you see mold growing on the bulb don't get that pack.

manciniat
12-23-2009, 12:08 AM
thank you very much thumbs2:

manciniat
12-23-2009, 03:37 AM
ok this is the plan as of now, after 4 hours of browsing.

16 mollies, 8 dalmation, 8 red or orange
4 corys
2 angels
1 dwarf gourami

plants

4 lanceolota
2 coffeefolia
2 tiger lotus
2 nana

thoughts please, thank you

tony

rich311k
12-23-2009, 03:38 AM
Sounds like a good plan to me.

tetra
12-23-2009, 04:02 PM
if you realy want a schooling fish i would do soemthing different then mollies.

Some a school of 10 dawrf rainbows and another school of tetra's.

Dont forget to cycle your tank

little hawaii
12-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Try planting some potamogetons, fast growers in any water.

manciniat
12-23-2009, 11:59 PM
i chose those plants for the low amount of light they need and i think they look cool. i want very easy to start with.

manciniat
12-25-2009, 02:46 AM
the kids are in bed and its about time to get the tank out of the bedroom and get it wrapped thumbs2:

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

aspects
12-25-2009, 05:40 AM
theyre gonna be stoked in the morning.

manciniat
12-26-2009, 02:32 AM
the girls are very exited about the tank, the hard part for them will be waiting for the cycle. they already want fish.

i made them open the wood stand first and the best part for me was when they ripped the paper off, my oldest had a wierd look on her face and said "daddy, i think this one is yours."

we cleaned the stand and tank, put the tank on the stand, got the gravel washed and put in and the phone rang, had to go to work. hopefully tomorrow i can get some plants and rocks and get some water in it.

good night,

tony

manciniat
12-27-2009, 01:52 AM
we got her going thumbs2: after 6 hours and alittle work, shes running. went with the plastic/silk plants for now, a dozen or so fist size rocks, a rock cave, one big piece of mopani wood and a full back wall bubble curtain.

after an hour of running,
ph 7.6
ammo 0.25
temp 80

i should wait 24 hours to start adding ammonia, correct? can anyone give me an idea how much to add to get 4-5 ppm in 75 gal ?

thank you to everyone that has ever posted on this site for the information, ive learned alot in the last two weeks and look forward to learning more.

tony

manciniat
12-28-2009, 02:56 AM
found an old thread that said 20ml in a 55 gal. gave 6 ppm. so i added 20ml for 75 gal. waiting one hour for the test.

manciniat
12-28-2009, 03:36 AM
results- 7-8 ppm ammonia, will check again in 24 hrs.

manciniat
12-30-2009, 02:33 AM
last night still at 7-8 ppm.

i put in two used filter pads from an established 125 gal tonight, tested and still at 7-8 ppm. test again 24 hours.

manciniat
12-31-2009, 07:23 PM
checked yesterday around noon, still around 6-8.
today at 1:00pm ammonia has dropped to 1.5 ppm, thumbs2:
added 5 ml ammonia, will recheck tonight and will also check nitrite.

BigMac
01-01-2010, 12:44 AM
You getting close!

I bet your girls are getting excited.

manciniat
01-01-2010, 02:04 AM
tonight the ammonia is back to 1.5 ppm after i added 5ml around noon. the nitrite is 4-5 ppm. i added 5 ml more ammonia and will check both again in the morning.

manciniat
01-01-2010, 03:17 PM
ammonia was at 0 this morning and trite was still 4-5.
i added 10 ml ammonia, waited a half hour, checked again and was at somewhere between 2-4 ppm.
i will check again in 12 hours, have a great day! thumbs2:

im gonna try to get a little vid of the tank tonight, and will post in the vid section.

manciniat
01-02-2010, 02:37 AM
ammonia was back to 0
nitrite still at 4-5
nitrate at 4-5

i added 9 ml ammonia
i grabbed the nitrate solution instead of the nitrite, is the only reason i checked trates.
check again in 12 hours

the short lil vid is posted in the vid section.

manciniat
01-02-2010, 03:01 PM
results this morning,

ammo is back to 0
trites are somewhere between 2-5, darker than 2 and lighter than 5.

i added 10 ml ammonia, checked again and it was 2-4 ppm, ill check again in 12 hours.

i think its moving right along.

annageckos
01-02-2010, 04:06 PM
ok this is the plan as of now, after 4 hours of browsing.

16 mollies, 8 dalmation, 8 red or orange
4 corys
2 angels
1 dwarf gourami

plants

4 lanceolota
2 coffeefolia
2 tiger lotus
2 nana

thoughts please, thank you

tony

Great thing about mollies are they come in a rainbow of colors if that is what you are looking for. You should also do more than four cories, in a tank that size I would be looking at at least 12, but six is the minimum for schooling fish. Look into a school of rainbows, neon dwarf rainbows (Melanotaenia praecox) are really nice, colorful fish. Those are all good plant choises. Java fern and crypts would do well too. Jungle val is also a lower light plant. Good luck and have fun!

manciniat
01-02-2010, 06:43 PM
thanks for the advice, ive done more research since i wrote that, and i will be going with at least 6 cories, and the angels are on hold for awhile. the plants are also on hold, but will introduce 2-4 at a time and see how that goes.

when the cycle is complete i will be adding 8 mollies and a crowntail betta that my wife bought my girls, they could not wait for the cycle, and wanted a fish now. i want to get him out of that little bowl ASAP.

after that, another 8 mollies and an opaline gourami. ive read some posts saying bettas and gouramis dont mix, and some that say it depends on the fish. ill have to see, im getting him out of that small bowl as soon as i can, and alittle while after that i will start to introduce the plants slowly.

manciniat
01-03-2010, 02:17 AM
tonights results are as follows,

0 ppm ammonia
2-3 ppm trites
5 ppm trates

i added 9 ml ammonia, will check in 12 hours.

Lab_Rat
01-03-2010, 03:14 AM
Now that your nitrites are dropping, wait 24hrs before adding more ammonia to see if they go away totally. There is about a day lag for the nitrites to be zero. If they are, your cycle is complete, you can do the massive wc, then start stocking.

I would not do a betta and an opaline gourami. Too much risk of fighting as the opaline is a color variant of Trichogaster trichopterus, one of the more aggressive gourami species.

manciniat
01-03-2010, 05:43 AM
thank you very much for the advice, i may not add the gourami them, i have to get the betta out of that little bowl asap.

so in the morning, when my ammo reading is 0, your saying do not add any more and wait till tomorrow evening and see if the nitrites drop to 0. if they do not do i add more ammo? how long can i go without adding ammo before it hurts my cycle?

Lab_Rat
01-03-2010, 11:27 AM
so in the morning, when my ammo reading is 0, your saying do not add any more and wait till tomorrow evening and see if the nitrites drop to 0. if they do not do i add more ammo? how long can i go without adding ammo before it hurts my cycle?

Yep. I don't get nervous about losing any bacteria until it's been 48hrs or more without an ammonia source. Even then you shouldn't have to worry. Now 4 days would be a different story.

manciniat
01-03-2010, 03:02 PM
ok i understand, thank you.

this mornings results,

0 ammonia

1-5 nitrites, i couldnt really tell this morning, the sunlight in the window was messing with me. if i held the test to the south, it kinda looked like a 5. face north and a definate 1. one thing is, it was not a 2.

ill wait 12 hours and test again, maybe if it drops, ill be able to tell for sure.

( no ammonia added )

manciniat
01-04-2010, 02:24 AM
well, i have not added ammonia in 24 hours, as i was waiting to see if the trites drop to 0. and they did not.

tonights results,

0 ppm ammonia
2 ppm trites

i still have trouble seeing exactly what color the nitrite test is. in my eyes, the 1 and 5 purples kinda look the same.

im going to give it 12 more hours, before i add more ammonia. it will have only been 36 hours total. i will add in the morning. im curious if it will drop alittle more over night.

manciniat
01-04-2010, 11:58 AM
good morning, im still at about a 2 on the trites. so im adding some ammonia as its been 36 hours. 10 ml added

manciniat
01-05-2010, 12:43 AM
hello, again 0 ppm ammonia, and again 2 ppm nitrite.
my nitrite seems to be stalled at 2-4 ppm.
after the ammonia test i added 10 ml, and tested again 30 min later= 2-4 ppm.

went and looked at fish today, trying to decide what i want as the first 8.
silver lyretail mollies
gold mollies
dalmation mollies
red platties

im just not certain, and the kids just want fish. im starting to think about 10 neon tetras.

manciniat
01-06-2010, 12:11 AM
today is the day!!!:19: thumbs2:

this morning i had 0 ammonia, 2 trites. didnt have time to post before going to work.

tonight 0 ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrites
40 ppm nitrates

Bellie816
01-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Yay! Congrats! :19: :19: :19:

manciniat
01-07-2010, 01:42 AM
i stocked the first batch of fish today.
4 red platties
4 blue platties
the girls betta
and one little itty bitty red platy that snuck in the bag.

the girls are crazy excited and so am i.

manciniat
01-08-2010, 03:10 AM
got home from work today and one blue had died.

0 ppm ammonia
0 ppm trites
15-20 ppm trates
7.6 ph
76 F

lowlight
01-08-2010, 06:39 AM
Sorry to here that, it does happen. I know I don't have a 100% success rate with fish bought. I haven't read every post in this thread but if you get a small piece of drift wood and some Java fern you might like it. Java fern is almost 0 maintenance and some small pieces of drift wood look good.

manciniat
01-09-2010, 11:33 PM
hello, today the first day i havent had to work till 7 pm since i stocked the fish. these fish are so cool! their a blast to just sit and watch. ive pulled a chair from the kitchen table to the middle of the living room floor and just sit there watching. the itty bitty one has grown like i cant believe, its tripled in size in three days. im already thinking of more fish.

todays perameters
0 ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrite
20 ppm nitrate

25% WC in the morning. ive made another little video now that ive added one more big silk plant and the fish. ill try to post it in the video section later tonight or in the morning.

Lab_Rat
01-10-2010, 06:24 AM
Sounds like it's going well! Make sure you properly acclimate, I think the drip method is the best.

manciniat
01-10-2010, 06:33 AM
i didnt try the drip. when i did my big water change, i sat their bags in a bucket of tank water for about 45 min. then added 1/2 a cup of the fresh tank water every 20 min. for an hour. then waited a half hour before releasing them.
i did lose one blue in the first 24 hours though.

manciniat
01-10-2010, 11:07 PM
did a 25% WC today.
also noticed, we have tiny ones already. i have seen three at one time, also found a snail. i tried to grab it but it fell in the gravel, and i lost it. o well, ill get it some day.

water perameters today

0 ppm ammo
0 ppm trites
20 ppm trates
7.4 ph

the trates didnt drop after the WC. ???

going to stock some more next week.

lowlight
01-11-2010, 06:02 AM
All sounds good. If the snail was a Malaysian trumpet snail they are nice to have in a tank unless you don't want snails at all. I have some MTS in my tank and they help keep things clean and move substrate around.

manciniat
01-13-2010, 12:30 AM
stocked 5 more blue platies today, total of 8 blue and 5 red wag. i almost bought a 2" green terror just to see what would happen. i know they arent compatable with platies but i have this idea that if i raise him right he will be nice. i even had the one picked out i wanted and the kid at the LFS talked me out of it. so now its what size tank to get next?

the wife noticed that the betta has little tiny white specs on its tail, i wonder if its the ick? i will keep an eye on it. it sucks that you cant buy fish anywhere around here and not worry about them contaminating your tank.

ill give it 24 hours with the new fish and check the water tomorrow night when i get home from work.

lowlight
01-13-2010, 05:11 AM
I knew someone that had a Green terror and it didn't like anything. I don't even think it liked him.

manciniat
01-14-2010, 01:53 AM
water tonight after the addition of the 5 new platies

0 ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrites
20 ppm nitrates

i have the ich for sure. bought a bottle of nox-ich. asked for advice from the people here and this is the plan,

remove all the carbon from the filter pads
dose as directed by the bottle but for twice as long
at the end of dosing, 50% WC and gravel vac very good
and add carbon to the extra media holders, run for a week

manciniat
01-14-2010, 11:47 PM
all the fish survived the first treatment. i treated again tonight.
the betta looks better today, not as many white specs. but i did notice ive got a few platies with the spots now.

lowlight
01-15-2010, 07:15 AM
Here is a good article on Ich, http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/ich-explained.php. You might want to read it as to better understand what your dealing with. What you are doing now seems to be correct it just helps to understand the disease.

manciniat
01-17-2010, 02:41 AM
lost another blue platy sometime over last night. i knew something wasnt right when one was missing from this mornings feeding. i looked all morning and couldnt find it anywhere. i even moved the driftwood and the little cave, still didnt see it. my wife came home from work and spotted it right away.
it was under a leaf on one of the tall plastic plants. so now we have,

7 blue
5 red wag
1 crowntail betta

and last i counted, 8 red wag fry.

manciniat
01-18-2010, 01:34 AM
did a 50% WC this afternoon and removed everything from the right half of the tank to clean the gravel.

im going to skip tonights treatment for ich and start again mon evening. everyone i talk to and everything ive read, seem to have different ideas on how to treat and for how long. so im going to make it up as i go. i treated for four days, ill take one day off and let the fish enjoy clean, fresh water for a day and then treat for four to five days more. the betta still had one spot on his fin earlier today, but the platies have lost all of theirs. i hope i get it kicked and it dosent return.

manciniat
01-19-2010, 01:50 AM
well, the betta has three or four white specs on his fins again. i started to treat the tank again today and i am going to treat all week. the platies dont have any of the spots as we speak.

im going to start looking for some rams to put in my new QT tank. they will live there for a couple weeks, until the ich is kicked in the 75.

lowlight
01-19-2010, 06:53 AM
I would fallow the instructions on the bottle completely. If the ich med you are using doesn't work try Rid-Ich+, I have used it in the past with success. Also if you haven't done so already read the fish disease article at left it will help you to understand better what ich is and how it works.

manciniat
01-21-2010, 01:24 AM
0 ppm ammo
0 ppm trites
15-20 trates

i planted the right side of the tank tonight. i feel like a total jacka_ _! i have no idea what im doing with live plants, im just winging it and thats not how i operate usually.

i planted 2 amazon swords, 10 corkscrew vals, 1 java fern, 1 nanna, 1 red tiger lotus bulb and three dwarf clover groups. i put in three root tabs in as well. i hope they live. i also put some in the 10 gal. i think if they survive a week, i will transplant the sword and the fern as i think they will be to much for the 10, correct?

tonight is also the last day of treatment for the ich, per the bottle. i read the directions alittle better and they said, treat three days and if spots still around, skip a day and treat three more days.

manciniat
01-23-2010, 03:46 PM
right side

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz174/manciniat/75right.jpg

left side

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz174/manciniat/75left.jpg

manciniat
01-24-2010, 03:49 AM
hello

lost another blue platy today. i think there is something wrong with the batch of blue platies that the LFS has. ive lost three of the nine ive bought, 1 per week, and have had no problems at all with the red wags or the betta.

0 ammo
0 trites
15-20 trates
7.4 ph

will do my weekly WC in the morning, 50% this week. i will also add carbon for the next week to remove any ich treatment still in the tank.

lowlight
01-24-2010, 07:59 AM
Sounds like you might have it under control. Could be a bad batch of fish it does happen every now and then. Nice tank, should look really good once it is established.

manciniat
01-24-2010, 06:55 PM
just finished my weekly WC, 50%. added some carbon in the extra media holders to remove the ich treatment. i hope i got it, not real sure, i think the meds i used suck. if i have to treat again i will use some other kind for sure. i also raised the temp from 76 to 78. i am trying to get around 80, because if the ich is gone for sure, in two weeks i can add my new bolivian rams from the QT tank.

manciniat
01-27-2010, 02:10 AM
hello

lost another blue platy today. i think there is something wrong with the batch of blue platies that the LFS has. ive lost three of the nine ive bought, 1 per week, and have had no problems at all with the red wags or the betta.

lost another one today, as i said above, i really think there is something wrong with that batch of blues.

as of now,
5 red wag
5 blues
1 crowntail
and i still have a couple fry left in there somewhere.

soon to have 2 bolivian rams

manciniat
01-31-2010, 07:35 PM
i just finished my weekly 50% WC. i have not lost any more of the platies, which is good.

the plants are growing nicely, the vals are taking the longest to adjust, which i have read would happen. the red tiger lotus has taken off like crazy, it went from a bare bulb, and now has four leaves about two inches long. one of the swords has a long straight thing growing up toward the surface. the clover are spreading well but the platies love to nibble on them and the fern and nana look pretty much the same.

there are no new signs of the ich after a week, which is great because i really didnt think the meds i used were working.

i cant wait to add the new rams from the QT, one more week.

lowlight
02-01-2010, 05:56 AM
I didn't notice before but the Anubius and Java fern should not be planted. They should be tied down on some drift wood or a rock and the roots will grab hold and anchor itself. Anubius is a slow slow growing plant. Glad to hear there are no more signs of ich. Post an updated pic would like to see the progress.

manciniat
02-01-2010, 11:20 PM
i thought that about the nana and the fern, but what the hey. i just stuck them in the gravel and put a flourish tab by them. the nana in the ten i did the same and its growing like mad, different substrate though.

manciniat
02-07-2010, 02:41 AM
i added the rams tonight, i hope they adjust well.

the red tiger lotus is growing awsome, in the last two days it has shot a thin string like thing to the surface with a single leaf on it, and there is another following it, its about half way there.

weekly WC tomorrow and i will try to post some new photos of the plants.

lowlight
02-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Sounds like the tank has stabilized. Some pics would be nice.

manciniat
02-07-2010, 06:56 PM
i just finished my weekly WC, i did alittle more than 50%.

i also changed everything around. i thought the swords were to close to the back wall, so i wanted to move them out alittle. i also pulled the fern out of the gravel and put it in a crack in my drift wood.

the rams are doing fine so far and seem to be getting along with everone.

i will try to post some pics of the new scape this evening.

manciniat
02-10-2010, 02:36 PM
the rams are doing great. they are too laid back at feeding time though, they stay at the bottom and the platies usually steal their food before it gets to them and they are left to search for scraps.

the other long leaf on the tiger lotus has reached the water surface.

ive still got to get some photos, been working to many hours with this snow that comes every four days.

manciniat
02-12-2010, 07:48 PM
i bought a new bulb today and some more fourish tabs. the plants were doing fine with the stock bulb, but i thought i would try the same bulb in the 75 that i put on the 10, a coralife nutri-grow.

i also bought some brine shrimp to try.

manciniat
02-14-2010, 06:00 PM
did my weekly 50% WC.

everything is going good,
im still working on getting some pictures, soon.

manciniat
02-21-2010, 10:02 PM
just finished my weekly WC. i think i did alittle more than 50% this week. i removed the vals and clover and added a sword sprout. the driftwood was covered in what i think is brown algae, so i took it out and cleaned it with a brush. i added some carbon back in to see if i can clear the water up alittle, its got a yellowish-brown tint to it.
the fish are doing great and the swords, lotus and fern are still growing like mad.

lowlight
02-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Got any pics.

manciniat
02-28-2010, 03:38 AM
i added the eight silvertip tetras and three oto's to this tank tonight along with a java fern from the ten gal.
in the morning i will test the perameters and do my weekly 50% WC.

i cant seem to get any good pics with my phone. ive got a new camera coming soon.

lowlight
02-28-2010, 08:24 AM
When I add new fish I usually do a water change before I put them in, there is more oxygen in the water right after a water change. I don't know if it really matters or not thats just how I do it.

manciniat
03-07-2010, 11:14 PM
50% WC today, and finally a picture.
ive got this new piece of wood i will be adding and now i want to change the whole tank around,
add a canister with an inline heater
change the substrate
add more plants
add more wood

anyway, heres it is as of now

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz174/manciniat/IMG_0089.jpg

and the new wood

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz174/manciniat/driftwood.jpg

manciniat
03-07-2010, 11:33 PM
anyone that has read this journal from the start knows this tank is really my girls, they got it from santa. so i thought i would finally post a pic of them,
gretchen 8, on the left and savannah 7, on the right.

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz174/manciniat/IMG_0032.jpg

manciniat
03-14-2010, 11:49 PM
hello,
i did my weekly 50% WC today. added the two GBR's and the three cardinals from the ten today. the silvertips killed one cardinal in two minutes, so i removed them and put them back in the ten.
i also put the two oto's back in this tank, i put them in the ten earlier in the week to remove some of the hair algae.
the stocking as of now,
10 platies ( 5 red wag, 5 blue )
8 silvertip tetras
2 bolivian rams
2 german blue rams
2 otocinclus catfish
1 crowntail betta

lowlight
03-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Otto's don't eat hair algae, at least to my knowledge. The only fish I know that will is an SAE and a 10 gal tank is to small for one.

manciniat
03-21-2010, 06:02 PM
50% WC
removed all the decor and vacumed the gravel really well and
rearranged pretty much everything. i got bored with the way it looked.
added two new pieces of driftwood also. it looks alot more full now.

manciniat
03-28-2010, 10:39 PM
50% WC today and light gravel vac
took 4 platies out and added them to the 10
added a new light, coralife 2x28w t5no, 1 6700, 1 colormax.
added an air stone.
and the big news, i added a gold nugget pleco yesturday. ive been waiting on one for about a month. i dripped him for three hours and placed him in the tank by hand ( which was cool ) hes seems to be doing fine so far. i hope he does good, im attached already.

manciniat
04-10-2010, 05:31 PM
we were out of town for the last week so i did a 75% WC this morning.
the pleco died last wed. four days after i got him. i couldnt get him to eat anything and expected him to die after everything ive read about them being starved by the distributors.

Dave66
04-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Dealt with loricariads for a long, long time and had many come in starving. What I do is mash leaf spinach so the interior flesh is visible, then rubber-band the stem to a stone where the leaf is on the gravel. I do this in the evening just before lights out, and can plainly see if the loricariads have been working on the leaf or leaves the following morning. Usually the leaves are skeletonized, and I continue the process until I can inspect the fish on the glass and see the belly, before I start adding other foods to the diet.

The spinach works since it provides the roughage that gets the depressed digestive systems of the fish going again. Usually they have the mother of all poo when the digestion starts.

Brought many, many loricariads, some of them exceedingly rare and expensive, back from the brink of starving to death with that method.

Dave

manciniat
04-10-2010, 11:52 PM
thank you for that info dave,

i went and got a replacement today, the belly on this one is round and not sunken at all, at the present. it also poo'ed in the bag on the way home, so i guess its been eating something. i dripped it around three hours, them placed it in by hand. i put a piece of romain lettuce and some shrimp pellets in.

the fish store tested my water today so i guess ill post it
0 ammo
0 trites
7.6 ph
6 kh

manciniat
04-19-2010, 01:47 AM
50% WC today

the gold nugget is still doing fine with a big round belly. he is very nocturnal. he hides all day and dosent come out until all the lights in the house are out. he dosent like cucumber, only nibbled on romain and ate alittle spinich. he is cleaning the brown junk off my swords though. every night before bed i throw some shrimp pellets in for him. i am going to put some blood worms in tomorrow night. i think all the others will eat them first though.

one of my silvertips died the other day, no apparent reason.

ill try to get some pics up of the nugget if i every see him, other than his tail hanging out the driftwood.

Red
04-19-2010, 02:27 AM
Where in IL are you getting your fish from?

manciniat
04-20-2010, 01:26 AM
sailfin in champaign urbana.
it is by far the best fish store around, that i have found.