PDA

View Full Version : new plants

Scrup
12-19-2009, 12:51 AM
So I will be getting some plants tomorrow I think for my 225G (2x40W generic T8 bulbs, and 2x40W GE aquarium and plant bulbs, NO co2), as the LFS is having a little sale on them. as it stands now, I know a bit about floating pond plants and lilypads, and that about sums up my knowledge of aquarium plants.

They have a few pretty large Aponogeton ulvaceus (leaves are well over 20")

And they just got a lot of tiny leaved anubias in.

On top of that I will be looking for some other low/medium light plants.

Possibly some crypts, and they had some Sagittaria subulata that they sell in big clumps for $10.

Lighting will be improved over the next year, as well as a co2 system installed, but for now I am just looking for something to dip my feet in the water.

currently the tank has 3 water lillies, lots of hornwort, anacharis, duckweed, and some large plant that looks like duckweed, only the size of a 50 cent peice. (It did have water lettuce and hyacinth growing pretty well (or so I thought) but they ended up drying out in the winter air (The only thing I could think of as they were fine all summer)

The inhabitants, aside from the common pleco are all very plant friendly (livebearers, loaches, corries, ottos, and 2 bala sharks), but the pleco seems to leave plants alone for the most part (he does twist up the lilypads sometimes and snap some leaves off)

so..ANYWHO...thoughts on my purchase? Additions or suggestions?

I'll sum it up-

large Aponogeton ulvaceus
anubias
Sagittaria subulata
unknown crypts

thanks in advance!

annageckos
12-19-2009, 03:07 AM
Those are all really nice plants. The Aponogeton plants, I belive, need a domency period. I had mine for around 8 months to a year an then slowly they all started to die back. From what I read they need to be taken out of the tank and stored in a cool damp place, like in damp sand in the fridge. That is what I read, never tried it.

Scrup
12-20-2009, 10:16 PM
ok got quite a bit more than I had planned on getting, but I like it. the Aponogeton was labeled as a Potamogeton, so I am not sure...

What I have been able to ID so far-

Aponogeton
onion plant
java fern
baby tears
banana plant

then there are 7-8 others I have an idea what they are, but not sure. Got some reading to do.

Pics of the plants-

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?p=671780&posted=1#post671780