PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Neon Rainbow fish

annageckos
12-19-2009, 12:23 AM
I think I want to put neon rainbows in my 30 gallon tank I am setting up. I have had all kinds of other fish, but never 'bows. Anyone have these? What do you think of them? The tank is going to be low light planted with a sand substrate. Some wood and rocks for decor. A lot of java fern because mine is growing like crazy and taking over my 55. I read that they like a lower PH, which is great seeing as I have soft acidic water.

rangur1
12-25-2009, 01:05 PM
i have kept preacox rainbows, which are the dwarf rainbows i think you are referring to. they are cool, grow to supposedly 3 inches [ 7.5cm ] and like to school with their own kind. if you can handle bioload , add 4 of them.

annageckos
12-25-2009, 01:53 PM
They are hard to find around here so I went with another fish I was looking at, black ruby barbs. But I would def. get more than three. I was thinking of a school of at least 6 if not 8. But with the barbs I started with a school or 7 and will probably add more. With schooling fish I do no less than 6. Thanks anyway.

Chrisinator
12-25-2009, 03:16 PM
If the only fish in the 30 are going to be rainbows for now, I'd get at least 8. You should look into the other types of rainbowfish such as the Blue-Eyes.

But since you have barbs, you might be able to get away with 7-8. Just keep up with water changes and watch out for nipping, if any.

webgirl74
12-30-2009, 12:28 AM
I have a small school of these in my planted 20 gallon and I love them. They are really active and get along great with other community fish. I think many fish will adapt to different PH levels and I've never had an issue with mine, although perhaps they'd prefer a lower PH to breed. My PH comes out of the tap between 7 and 8 and I don't adjust it for any of my fish. The only downside to these fish is that they eat like pigs (I only feed once a day too) and poop like crazy so I'm vacuuming my sand every second day it seems. I guess on the positive side of that, I'm doing water changes constantly, which keeps it in superb condition.

annageckos
12-30-2009, 12:43 AM
Thanks. I am not sure I am going to get any. I really like them, and would love to have some. But the only store around me that has them is about an hour away and they what $4-5 each. And I would do no less than six. I think I may just increase my ruby barb school, it is at 7 now. Maybe that will be my NEXT tank. Wish I had more room, dumb fish. :help: they are taking over:hmm3grin2orange:

AmyLynn
12-30-2009, 01:00 AM
Love my little dwarf bows. Just upped my school to 10. I now have 4 males and 6 females. Cute fish that get along great with everyone. thumbs2:

trojannemo
12-30-2009, 05:38 AM
But the only store around me that has them is about an hour away and they what $4-5 each. And I would do no less than six.

that's not a bad price. i paid $6.99 for my female M. praecox when she was but a couple of months old. typically these guys sell for about $10-11 here...

you should reconsider!:hmm3grin2orange:

annageckos
12-30-2009, 04:59 PM
I know it is not too bad. The rainbows I really want, irian red rainbowfish, are going for about $20 each around here. And my tank is not big anough for them.:scry: Oh well. But, it is not just the price, I may still get the neon rainbows. Just not right now.

lg0815
01-01-2010, 04:33 PM
i have 2 they are doing fine in 7.6 ph and so are my gold rams thumbs2:

walt8880
02-19-2010, 02:16 AM
I have six dwarf neons and they are peaceful and fun to watch. Sometimes they school and sometimes not.

I am lucky that they cost less than $1 each here.