PDA

View Full Version : Egeria Densa

Kazenouta
12-17-2009, 02:59 AM
Hello everyone,
I'm in the process of trying to make my new 15g tank a well planted one. It currently holds one Amazon Sword and two bunches of Egeria Densa (Anacharis).

I bought the Anacharis from my LFS about 4 days ago. I didn't bother to un-bunch them but, forum user annageckos has recommended that I split the bunches apart to allow for better light and nutrient flow.

Has anyone had a bit of experience with Anacharis that can give me some pointers?

Thanks a lot!

Lady Hobbs
12-17-2009, 03:49 PM
They should be unbunched or will rot at the bottoms. Generally these are used as a floating plant but I anchored mine to the substrate with some rocks. I've read they can be planted by removing a couple inches of the bottom leaves and put into the soil only about an inch deep but I had no luck doing that.

Don't use excel with this plant as it melts it. A 15 gallon is too small for a sword plant. I think it due time you will have to remove it if it grows as it should. They get very large. (Except mine! lol)

Kazenouta
12-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks for your reply, Lady Hobbs! Yes, unfortunately I bought the Amazon Sword a little foolishly, having not read about it first. It sounds like I just have to be really crazy about keeping the Sword "groomed" so to speak so that it doesn't take over my tank.

In regards to the Anacharis, I ended up unbunching them. There were 6-8 stalks in one bunch and that's the way my LFS sold them to me. So, I unbunched them, trimmed off the rotting bottoms and then rebunched them but, this time only 2-3 stalks per bunch. This is what my LFS's recommended to me this morning. I also left some floating on the surface but, I plan on anchoring those tomorrow once my LFS gets anchors back in stock. I'm interested to see the difference in their color and size now that they aren't competing with 6-7 other stalks in the same area.

Thanks again!