PDA

View Full Version : interacting with fire eel

Bennlfer
12-17-2009, 12:53 AM
Is there an way get my fire eel to interact with me and come out more or is it all up to him? Lol He pretty much just hides all the time. Even at night when he is out, i come up to look at him and he goes right back to hiding. I know its not the other fish, he's gotta be spooked about me for some reason. If you guys can help that would be really great thanks.

Northernguy
12-17-2009, 01:01 AM
Maybe sit in front of the tank more often.
It will take time to get used to you.
Has it been hassled by any of the other fish?

annageckos
12-17-2009, 01:03 AM
That is pretty much what they do. You may, over time, get him to come out for food. But fire eels don't 'do much'. They are not active fish, they sit and wait, hidding. Some are more 'outgoing', but you can make it be that way. Give it time, maybe after it settles you will see it more.

rich311k
12-17-2009, 01:03 AM
Give him time. I agree sit by the tank watching without moving. Hopefully he will get used to you.

HomaridNoob6
12-17-2009, 01:08 AM
Most eels are like that, sneaky! I hardly ever even see most of mine even when I search for them. Its kinda like a cat, some are totally independent and don't care much for people, others crave attention. only thing I can think of is try to drop food close to it slowly from the greatest distance you can (NOT EASY) to get it to trust you, that's what I did with my old tiretrack. I've had some peacock eels in one my 50gs for over a year, seen them about 10 times or less each.

So yeah, it's mainly gotta be all about him choosing to come out, unless they keep their heads stuck out and stationary theyre hard to even target feed if they burrow or hide when you get near the tank.

It's frustrating, GL he may come around eventually, how long have you had it?

Edit: Oh yeah, think about it though why the eel might be spooked of you, you're HUGE, and eels are great prey for large fish, it has no clue what you are, caught my best stripers on eels, if they werent so good at hiding they wouldn't be around, those suckers are tasty, ever had Unagi at a sushi bar?

sunfishman
12-17-2009, 02:07 AM
Edit: Oh yeah, think about it though why the eel might be spooked of you, you're HUGE, and eels are great prey for large fish, it has no clue what you are, caught my best stripers on eels, if they werent so good at hiding they wouldn't be around, those suckers are tasty, ever had Unagi at a sushi bar?

eels are like that but not my bluegill! i am pretty sure if he was in a tank with a 3 foot arowana he wouldnt back down, but i may be minus 1 fish after that.

Bennlfer
12-17-2009, 06:41 AM
I have have him for like 2 weeks or so. He doesnt burrow when i come up to the tank, but he does go back to hiding. Oh well, ill try to stand in front of him some more. One time i sat there in front of my tank motionless for a good 15 minutes and he came out. :ssmile: But i suppose i should stand while doing this, so he gets used to my full height.

Demjor19
12-17-2009, 01:30 PM
I only see my Tiretrack Eel about once a week and he is over 27" long. they love to hide and they are good at it. 99% of the time my eel will just sit inside the driftwood with just his head poking out.

daninath
02-26-2010, 09:54 AM
I have a male fire eel (king arthur), i bought him in oct 09, he is still quite small but he is very active. He does like to burrow, but he is active during the day also.

He is a fantastic specimen and i found offering him food made him interact with me, i do spend a lot of time in front of the tank also, that would help, if you offer him the food whilst crouching looking through the glass he may not be as shy.

He now knows when its 'dinner time', and when he sees me he comes out ready to eat.

Hope this helps.

AquaLene
03-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Patience - the eels hide, burrow and seem aloof when you bring them home. Yet once they recognise you as their owner/feeder (it doesn't take long, just direct their food to their hiding spots) and soon they are outgoing, curious and very interactive. My fire eel does somersaults over & between my fingers when I feed it. They're very clever, the eel's recognise me immediately when I walk past the tank and always come out for a look, yet don't like strangers and hide.

dr_jefferson
03-13-2010, 09:28 AM
http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/1807/eek.gif (http://bcyouthweek.com/gallery/g/index.php) Wow thats really interesting. Thnx for sharing.