PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions Please

hannah24l
12-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Hi
wondering what else to put in my tank.

i am planning to put in 2 otos but not till january as have been advised i need to wait till myy tank is atleast 3 months old.
have got a 64 litre tank and have got 5 black widow/skirt tetra and 2 odessa barbs
(although i do know that these need to be in groups of 5. 3 died and i was mis sold as i did do the fish compatability thing n it says they was too much for my tank which i did find out the hard way.)

Tank has leveled back out n now reads 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 15ppm nitrate.

Any Ideas welcome. Thanks

annageckos
12-17-2009, 12:00 AM
64 l is only about 17 gallons. Can you take back the two barbs? That would be best for the fish and give you a bit more room. But you really don't have much space in a tank that small. Maybe a small bottom feeder. Panda or pygmy cories, kuhli loaches or a couple (2-3) dwarf frogs. You could aslo do a dwarf gourami or honey gourami(one either dwarf or honey) Thou I *think* honeys are more tolerant of each other. But I am not 100% sure on that. Hopefuly someone elese can give you some good suggestions.

hannah24l
12-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Hi
i dont think i can take back the barbs but am gna look into rehoming them.
i might just go for some neons.

Lab_Rat
12-18-2009, 03:27 PM
You could do neons, or, like annageckos said, a dwarf or honey gourami would make a nice centerpiece. Another option would be to add a couple more skirt tetras and do an all skirt tank. Agree with rehoming the barbs.

hannah24l
12-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Gna ring LFS on monday see what they can do. like the lok of dwarfs

hannah24l
12-20-2009, 06:17 PM
had a look at gourami proflie n they like the quiet. my house is anything but

annageckos
12-20-2009, 06:53 PM
I have always found dwarf gouramis to be fairly outgoing fish. I don't think there should be a problem. Just make sure you get a fat healthy looking fish, even one that is a little bit more of a 'bully'.

hannah24l
12-21-2009, 05:36 PM
ok no probs will have a shufti

Kazenouta
12-21-2009, 11:27 PM
I've had my Dwarf for a little over 2 weeks now and she's been anything but, outgoing. She spends most of her time hiding in various places. However, I've read that this is extremely typical for this type of fish and that sooner or later they'll become more active. I can't speak to this yet but, hopefully that's the case!

Good luck choosing!

Spartanhockey89
12-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Gouramis can be some beautiful fish. Agree with annageckos on the larger, somewhat bullyish fish. Its a good choice for a tank that small.

mac
12-23-2009, 09:58 PM
IME Honey Gouramis are much more tolerable to one and another.

As for the Dwarf Gourami they are a mix. Either out going or not so out going.

But one the whole they are normally IMO 60% out going i kept in the right environment.
IME I have only had success with them with aggression if kept in species only tanks, heavily planted. More of the planting you have the less aggressive and open to exploring they become.

For me I would not really do a small tank with mixed fish with a Dwarf only due to territory issues with the Dwarf.

A better choice would be a school of Corys like Panda or Pgyms. In groups of 5 at least.
And or a few more Widow Tetras.

As for the Barbs I would try to remove them ASAP.

mac