PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help - Bristlenose eggs

Zincubus
12-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Urgent help please .

I just pulled out my TUFA rock disdlay to enable a good vacuuming session but my MALE bristlenose was reluctant to let go of his piece of rock he and his wife usually just drop out back into the water quite happily . I then noticed about 10 or 15 egg like things but they seemed to be covered in a white mucus or something. Have they spawned and the eggs just rotted or is the white layer a protective cover ?

I put the rock back and added the other pieces and the male bristlenose was back in place on the same bit of rock . Could he be holding some HEALTHY eggs or even young babies ??

So confused I hope I havenít ruined things for the happy couple 

Northernguy
12-16-2009, 03:34 PM
I have never had the pleasure to see BNs spawn.
I'll give this a bump so you can get some answers.:22:

Lab_Rat
12-16-2009, 03:49 PM
If they've turned white they're likely fungusy and no longer viable. If they're a translucent tannish color then they're still good.

Zincubus
12-16-2009, 07:17 PM
If they've turned white they're likely fungusy and no longer viable. If they're a translucent tannish color then they're still good.

Well he is still guarding "something" with his life ... maybe a couple of eggs were ok and stuck to the rock ... a few fungusy ones dropped out when I picked the rock up.

Could he be guarding young ones .... what do the young ones do to stay alive ? Does the male lie on top of them or something ??

tetra
12-16-2009, 09:18 PM
could be left over food... My bristle nose will stay in his cave and stick to it until i am done moving it around.

Zincubus
12-16-2009, 10:21 PM
He's still fanning either the eggs or young so maybe we may get a couple of babies :)

Crispy
12-16-2009, 10:26 PM
The white film you see is fungus on some eggs. You may want to clean that up if possible. There could be young wigglers in his cave and you don't want that fungus spreading.

toddnbecka
12-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Here's a pic of a healthy clutch of BN eggs:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/toddnbecka/gracilis%20pics/P1030173.jpg

Zincubus
12-16-2009, 11:23 PM
He's still fanning either the eggs or young - would he still bother if the egs were dead ??

Zincubus
12-17-2009, 05:56 PM
mmm stopped fanning and left the nest !