PDA

View Full Version : Just gained 3 goldfish...

Ozonelayr345
12-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Okay..so one of my friends was going to flush her 3 goldfish so I saved them and put them in my 10g...but I dont believe that it is big enough for the three goldfish and I know absolutely nothing about goldfish...

so a little help and advice would be greatly appreciated!!thumbs2: thumbs2:

aspects
12-16-2009, 07:38 AM
its not nearly big enough for a single goldfish, let alone 3.
its great that you saved them from the toilet, but i would definitely look into rehoming them or taking them to the LFS if you are not able to get at least a 4' tank

Jacko
12-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Good job on saving the little guys!! thumbs2:

Are they the fancy type or one of the comet shaped ones? For 3 fancies a 4' tank would be great, though for 3 comet types they'd really need a pond, they can hit 1' easily enough on their own and are huge waste producers.

Deleted User
12-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Good job saving them!!! That's actually how I got my first fish, too (as a kid). They were 2 goldfish and lifed for many years in a fish bowl. Back then, we didn't know any better.

I would upgrade your goldies as soon as you can. What size are they now? Ultimately, about 40 gallons would be most ideal for them, but if they are small and you are dedicated to 2x weekly large water changes and have good filtration, I think they could do well for some time in a 29g.

WTG on that rescue!!!

Ozonelayr345
12-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Pretty sure they are comets and right now they are all only an inch and a half long...my friend was keeping all three in a 1g tank.. I just figured that they would be better off in my little tank then that 1g...or in the sewers...

but I was thinking about taking them back to my lfs because I knew they were huge waste producers and I think they ate all my ghost shrimp...

How long does it take for these guys to get huge? should I take them to my lfs as soon as possible?

Deleted User
12-16-2009, 07:02 PM
I would really suspect they'd be feeder fish if they go to the LFS. Maybe not, but just a heads up.

chrisb01
12-20-2009, 08:07 PM
What is LFS? (blush)

Deleted User
12-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Local Fish Store (I had to ask the same question when I joined here) thumbs2:

annageckos
12-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Your best bet is to rehome them or take them to a LFS. Commets (regular goldfish) get about 1ft each and have a good size body mass= lots of space(pond) and lots of mess. A 29 gallon tank will be no where big anough for these three fish. Good luck and good for you to take them in. Even if it is only a 'pitstop' between your home and the next.

chrisb01
12-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Local Fish Store (I had to ask the same question when I joined here) thumbs2:

Thanks. thumbs2: