PDA

View Full Version : Do ghost shrimp...

Ozonelayr345
12-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Add any bioload to the tank? and if so how much does it affect the tank? Do they follow the same "one inch of fish per gallon" rule?

Lab_Rat
12-16-2009, 12:30 AM
I don't really count them as much bioload.

Ozonelayr345
12-16-2009, 12:34 AM
alright thanks lab rat!thumbs2: thumbs2:

Crispy
12-16-2009, 01:09 AM
Agreed. Virtually no bioload on your tank.

HomaridNoob6
12-22-2009, 02:55 AM
I agree, virtually no bioload, I've had well over 20 ghosties in a 2.5 gallon unfiltered, 1 small WC a week and I never had any ammonia readings. In fact, they bred like mad, so the conditions couldn't have been that bad.

Edit: LOL didn't realize but I basically copied what crispy said, sub conscious I guess.

annageckos
12-22-2009, 03:51 AM
Agree with everyone else, not much of a bio load. But as for the 'inch of fish per gallon' rule. Well, it doesn't work very well and is not a good guide line to go by when stocking a tank. IMO.

HomaridNoob6
12-22-2009, 04:04 AM
But as for the 'inch of fish per gallon' rule. Well, it doesn't work very well and is not a good guide line to go by when stocking a tank. IMO.

Yeah, pretty much a bunk rule IMO also, might work ok for swimming space in some cases, but if you apply that rule literally it doesn't work at all. A full grown oscar could go in a 20gal...

aspects
12-22-2009, 04:09 AM
the 1"/gal "rule" is not a law, just a guideline for novice fishkeepers. also, it does not translate literally in regards to single specimens. a little common sense needs to be taken into account with this "rule".
while for most intermediate and advanced hobbyists, this "rule" holds no grounds what so ever, it is a good guideline for first timers. keep in mind, new hobbyists have little to no knowledge about things like water parameters/ water chemistry, nitrification, differences in filtration methods, etc. following this stocking guideline will ultimately save a lot of trouble in the long run.

HomaridNoob6
12-22-2009, 04:57 AM
well said Aspects! Unfortunately i have seen people that took it literally when I used to work at a fish store. They really thought a 10" fish could go in 10-20 gals. Some would listen when I said no, some wouldn't. It is a good guideline in the fact that it helps keep people from massively overstocking. Basically I agree. just not everyone interprets it the same way :) because of the misunderstandings I've seen thats really why I feel its bunk.