PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a betta

Bellie816
12-15-2009, 02:45 AM
Hello-

I have been around the beginners aquarium forum and am currently in the process of cycling my 10 gallon tank. I have tested my water from the tank and the tap, and found that I have very hard water (300 ppm on the dip strips) and high PH of 8.4. I was thinking about getting a betta for my tank along with a mystery snail and possibly some platys down the line. I have been doing research and found that most sites say that bettas do well in a PH anywhere from 6 to 8. I would like to know from the experienced betta keepers if this PH and hardness is ok? I read another article that said they thrive in hard water also. What are your thoughts?

Also, can you give suggestions on real plants or fake plants and which is better for bettas? I want my tank to be just perfect! :)

Rue
12-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Your water hardness will be fine. Use real plants...bettas love them, and they're better for your micro-environment.

It may be hit or miss with the platies...some bettas will leave them be, others might not...

...or vice versa...

Northernguy
12-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Your tank sounds great for a betta.I would have neons or cardinal tetra with a betta.
You can do low light plants like java moss.

Taurus
12-15-2009, 05:51 PM
It's Déjà vu all over again. Rue, I didn't realize bettas could tolerate such a high pH. I'm suck a rookie. :ssmile:

Northernguy
12-15-2009, 05:58 PM
If you are worried about a difference in ph levels,drip acclimate.Its much easier on the fish.Most lfs in your area should have close to the same ph.It should all be the same water source.

Rue
12-15-2009, 06:09 PM
It's Déjà vu all over again. Rue, I didn't realize bettas could tolerate such a high pH. I'm suck a rookie. :ssmile:

...I'm obviously not up to my usual speed today...and I gotta go now...so I don`t have time to spar...

They'll be fine with that pH if they`re used to it...messing about with the pH causes more problems than letting the fish adjust. Unless you`re breeding them...no need...

...so what am I missingÉ -*ack* Hit the stupid character key...

Taurus
12-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Rue, I'm not trying to spar. Peace. But I went through this with the OP yesterday. Anyway..bettas...

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/bettafish/

tori.lock
12-15-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm not experienced enough to be giving advice on water parameters just yet, but as a betta owner I can tell you they love real plants. Java moss is a favorite, or anything with big leaves they can rest on. Mine loves to sit in an anubias plant and on his java moss. As for the platies, it can be hit or miss. It would probably be a more successful combination if you added the betta second so that the platies don't invade HIS territory. Other fish that might work better could be cory cats (pygmies in a 10g) and I believe neons are popular to mix with bettas. Really any fish that wont catch the betta's attention with flowy fins and bright colors, and in turn a fish that wont nip the betta's fins will work, depending on the betta.

Taurus
12-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Neons? I don't they will survive for very long in water that has a pH of 8.4?

Bellie816
12-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Your tank sounds great for a betta.I would have neons or cardinal tetra with a betta.
You can do low light plants like java moss.

Okay... I see that the store have java moss and ferns and things that they like. Will the plants grow with just the aquarium hood lights on? I have the bulbs that came with the 10 gallon kit. I don't have any real sunlight filtering into the tank at all. I bought bulbs from the store for an "easy growing plant in any water conditions" and they never grew! Do I need special bulbs for them to grow and thrive?

Bellie816
12-15-2009, 10:29 PM
PS- would it be better to put the real plants in once tank is cycled or can I do it now with the ammonia in there and such?

Rue
12-16-2009, 01:03 AM
Rue, I'm not trying to spar. Peace. But I went through this with the OP yesterday. Anyway..bettas...

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/bettafish/

Oh good! I'm too tired to spar afterall...spent the afternoon sparring with the 14-year old...he wore me out...

Geez...I feel so old some days...:help:

As far as the betta/pH goes...just make sure you don't 'shock' it with a pH wildly different from what the petstore is keeping him in...drip acclimate to accomodate the change...or haul water for him from someone who has better water...

I haul all our water in...I don't like the yellow colouration of our well water...so I go to the city, fill up water containers...and lug 'em home...if I can do it for a 55g and a 25g...anyone can do it for a 10g...

I'm sure there are other solutions out there as well...