PDA

View Full Version : Broken Fin?

tori.lock
12-14-2009, 07:56 AM
I noticed the other day that Moose's right ventral fin seems broken. I couldn't get a good shot of it because he was being very disagreeable and flaring and swimming around too much to get a good picture. It seems that in the middle of it, about where the longest "prong" is in the front it seems crimped, and just bends very awkwardly. It by all definitions looks broken. I can't say his activity has changed, and if anything he's gotten more aggressive and antsy. He seems to be swimming back and forth against the glass a lot more than usual and seems general irritated. I just checked parameters, and everything is where it should be. My last water change was the middle of last week. There seems to be a bit more algae growth than I'm used to, and I don't think my lighting has changed much. If he lets me I'll post a pic of his fin in another post.

Discus_Dude
12-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Good luck with getting things back on track and getting a pic or two!

tori.lock
12-18-2009, 09:05 AM
This is the best picture I could get. It seems to be getting worse, but it doesn't seem to be causing a problem. It looks as if it has spun around, and I'm thinking that it might fall off. Anyone seen this before or know what it is? I'm assuming that it got caught in the filter as it showed up right after his filter was installed. Again, sorry about the poor picture quality, but you can vaguely see that it's twisted up much farther than it should. The little white line is the tip of it that's twisted.

Discus_Dude
12-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Fins and rays will grow back as long as they haven't been damaged too far to the base. You can wait for it to fall off and it will grow back or cut the white off and it will begin to heal and grow back now.

Just watch for secondary infections such as fungus either way. Melafix may be helpful to expedite the healing process.

I hope this helps!

tori.lock
12-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the help. It's not impairing his swimming (to what I can see) so I'm less worried about it re-growing and more worried about infection. I think I'll stop by the store and get some Melafix just to be sure. I don't want to be dosing him if I don't have to, so I may wait until it drops off. I don't want to risk cutting it off myself.

tori.lock
12-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the help. It's not impairing his swimming (to what I can see) so I'm less worried about it re-growing and more worried about infection. I think I'll stop by the store and get some Melafix just to be sure. I don't want to be dosing him if I don't have to, so I may wait until it drops off. I don't want to risk cutting it off myself.