PDA

View Full Version : Do all kinda of plecos...

Ozonelayr345
12-14-2009, 01:12 AM
eat plants? just thought I would look into it before I got a BN or something for my 10g...

Or will a Bn or any other kind of pleco get too big for my 10g?

dancethenparty
12-14-2009, 01:29 AM
i don't think there is a pleco that could fit into a 10g.
why not otos?

xximanoobxx
12-14-2009, 01:29 AM
Wouldn't recommend any pleco in a 10g. Like what dance said, otos would work.

Ozonelayr345
12-14-2009, 01:31 AM
Alright thats what I figured after thinking about it...and I have an oto now but i read that he wont eat certain types of algea and I think its the kind I have in my tank.

smaug
12-14-2009, 01:36 AM
Ive never kept a plec that ate plants.But as the others said,you dont have room for one anyway.

dmagerl
12-14-2009, 01:44 AM
My BNs do a fair bit of damage to the swords. It's not much, but the holes are fairly evident.

tetra
12-14-2009, 02:01 AM
bristle nose will also uproot and plants in a small tank,

annageckos
12-14-2009, 03:55 PM
You really shouldn't get fish just to take care of the algea, that is your job as a the tanks caretaker. Don't get me wrong, some fish really help, trust me. In a tank as small as a 10gallon you shouldn't have too much trouble keeping the aglea under controll manually. Do you know what kind of algea it is? That would help, also finding out the cause and fixing it is a long term solution. In my tank I have a fair number of algea eater, mostly cause I like them. They do help keep algea under control. But I like having some algea too. I still have to scrape green spot algea and pull some hair/thread type algea too. Good luck, maybe post a pic or if you know what type of algea you have post and you could get some help or suggestions.

Red
12-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Agreed, most plecos get to big for a 10gal. A better route is to go with three otos, to handle algae.

Sev

Ozonelayr345
12-20-2009, 02:19 PM
The algae is on the plants and I have tried to scrape it off but it doesn't seem to make much difference. I believe that it is just regular green algae and I don't like how it looks on my plants. I have one oto right now and he isn't making any noticeable progress...

annageckos
12-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Different plecos eat different thing. If it is green spot algea I don't think most fish will eat it. You either have to deal with it or cut off the leaves with it. You should find out what is causing your algea and fix the problem if you don't like the way it looks. Too much light, too much or not anough nutriants, not anough CO2 are all common factors with algea. You need to balance light nutriants and CO2. I personaly like some algea so I don't worry about it. Someone else may be able to help you more.

Lab_Rat
12-21-2009, 06:39 AM
Nerite snails are a good option for many types of algae with the added bonus that they won't reproduce in fw like many other sorts of snails.

lowlight
12-21-2009, 08:58 AM
How long has your tank been running. Otto's like well oxygenated water with a fair amount of circulation and will fair better in an established tank. The more information you give about your tank like water parameters, filtration, stocking and so on would better help us help you find a solution.

aspects
12-21-2009, 09:20 AM
You really shouldn't get fish just to take care of the algea, that is your job as a the tanks caretaker. Don't get me wrong, some fish really help, trust me. In a tank as small as a 10gallon you shouldn't have too much trouble keeping the aglea under controll manually. Do you know what kind of algea it is? That would help, also finding out the cause and fixing it is a long term solution. In my tank I have a fair number of algea eater, mostly cause I like them. They do help keep algea under control. But I like having some algea too. I still have to scrape green spot algea and pull some hair/thread type algea too. Good luck, maybe post a pic or if you know what type of algea you have post and you could get some help or suggestions.

absolutely.
algae is due to a bigger issue. rather than cover it with a pleco, id suggest looking into the cause of the algae. the two main culprits are overfeeding and too much light.

VoidParadigm
12-24-2009, 04:40 PM
If you decide to go with the otos instead of the plecos you need at least six, not three.

Besides that, turn the lights off for an extra hour a day. Cut back a little on how much you feed the tank. Who else lives in the tank anyways? Perhaps the fish in there simply produces too much waste for your filter.

jay2487
12-24-2009, 04:48 PM
i dont know what else you got in the tank but if you have the room and compatibilty get 6 or 8 swordtails, believe it or not their staple diet is like 70% algae and they go crazy for it too. They'll eat it off the rocks, plants, glass, everything. Plus they look unique and have very big personalities. You can get the smaller variety as feeders for like 15 for $1. 15 of them would be to much for a ten though, depending on what else you have in the tank, I'd say 6 or 8

@Aspects and Anna, just curious, how does overfeeding cause algae? I haven't heard of that cause before?

aspects
12-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Algae are plants that need potassium and nitrogen as fertilizers so any decomposing food left in the bottom of the tank will encourage algae growth.

jay2487
12-24-2009, 05:15 PM
ooooh, okay did not know that.

aspects
12-24-2009, 05:26 PM
http://blog.mattalgren.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/knowing-is-half-the-battle.jpg

jscurrier
12-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Holy Cow, he busted out GI Joe! Outstanding!

aspects
12-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Gotta live the cartoons of the late 80a/ early 90s