PDA

View Full Version : My fishy is sick :(

ehjsne
12-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Ive got a old betta, about 6 years old...he hasnt been eating lately...he has fungus on his fins which Im treating him for, but he also has dark spots on his fins.
Could anyone possibly diagnose the disease and what medicine I should get to treat it?

Heres a picture:http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2009/347/a/3/Aka_Sakana_by_listoman.jpg

Pele
12-13-2009, 05:25 PM
did he just get these dark spots? They may be part of his pattern. Or they might be stress spots from being sick

Gayle
12-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Fin rot can start as dark spots on their fins. I would recommend using Melafix. What are you treating him with now?

Little Embers
12-13-2009, 06:44 PM
WOW!!!! If he is 6 yrs old, that is utterly amazing and you have done a magnificent job taking care of him....WELL DONE!!!

The spots on his fins, could also be age spots and at his age, his immune system is probably getting much weaker, making him susceptible to illnesses. As gayle already mentioned what meds. are you using now?.....there may not be a lot that can be done, at his age medications may just cause more stress. Keep his water warm and as pristine as possible.

Deleted User
12-13-2009, 09:38 PM
I want to echo LE! Six years is outstanding for a betta -- well done!!! I hope he'll be okay, but you have given him a life about 3x what most bettas get to see. Nice job!

tori.lock
12-13-2009, 09:39 PM
6 years is very, very good for a betta. You must be a great fishy dad to have one for that long. Personally, because of his age I wouldn't try to treat with medicine, and if you do use a smaller dose than it says on the box. Like it's been said the medicine could stress him just as much as the illness. The best thing you can do for him at this point is keep his water as clean as possible.

Lab_Rat
12-13-2009, 11:05 PM
6 years is very old for a betta, congrats on getting him to that age. I would just keep his water pristine and try to entice him to eat with frozen bloodworms and garlic.

brianyu
12-13-2009, 11:27 PM
thumbs2: 6 years , good luck .