PDA

View Full Version : Plastic storage tank for goldfish?

Birds_Will_Fly
12-13-2009, 12:06 AM
Ok I've gained 2 goldfish. A common goldfish and a comet I think. They are currently in a 15 litre tank. I've been doing my research and I know this is too small. I wondered if I could possibly use a clear storage box as a fish tank either for short or long term until I can purchase a bigger one.

Also for the time being I have no filter, are my fish likely to die soon because of this? I've brought some plants for the tank apparently they help produce oxygen for them...

Please don't lecture me about being an irresponsible fish owner. I had these fish given to me and I'm doing everything possible to care for them. I've been browsing the internet for hours a day trying to research them! I'm sure there more hassle than any other pet! :p

Thanks for taking your time to read this, I really appreciate it! :)

Deleted User
12-13-2009, 12:19 AM
I'm not sure if the plants will work in an unlit container.

You might be able to get a storage container to work for a short time if you add a decent size airpump w/ a bubbler and do really large daily water changes (50%).

Good luck!

Deleted User
12-13-2009, 12:21 AM
PS keep an eye on Craigslist maybe for a good deal on a bigger aquarium w/ all the accessories -- some really good deals are out there and will get you fixed up w/ all the stuff at once.

Scrup
12-13-2009, 07:53 AM
You need at a minimum an air pump or they will suffocate.

You will need a filter soon as well.

Gonna pull a NG and ask- have you read the free ebook on here? http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Lots of good info.

A good temp option would be to get a stock tank, the things they use to water horses/cows with, until you can find a decent tank (or if you can find them, plastic kiddy pools work as well if you have the room for it.)

xximanoobxx
12-13-2009, 08:26 AM
Get a filter and a bigger tank please.

Birds_Will_Fly
12-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the advice. It will be about a month till I can afford a filter and pump. Will they be ok until then? Would a storage box be suitable? It's not really any different to a plastic tank? I've been doing 2/3 water changes everyday.

Deleted User
12-13-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm not sure. I think some will say they won't be okay, however, as a kid, I kept two "feeder type" goldfish in a 1 gallon bowl for 5-6 years. We didn't know any better back then. So, it did work for me many moons ago.

Deleted User
12-13-2009, 11:53 AM
PS to clarify, I'm not recommending they be kept in a storage box w/o a filter or air pump, but speculating that they could probably survive it for some time.

Birds_Will_Fly
12-13-2009, 02:23 PM
It's all fine now! One of my friends is giving me her old aquarium. I'm not sure how big it is but it's 3 times the size of the one I have. Now all I need is a filter and pump!

Deleted User
12-13-2009, 02:25 PM
That is awesome news!!! Congratulations thumbs2:

Scrup
12-13-2009, 07:06 PM
good. Storage bins can be a pain as well (I assume you mean the rubbermaid types) because they are not designed to be filled with water. They will bow out really bad- http://www.fmueller.com/aquaristic/240G/14-FBF-testrun-bulging-cont.jpg

you can wait a month to get a filter, but I would advise you to do large water changes daily. 50% or more. Make sure the water going in the tank is as close to the temp of the water in the tank or you can give them thermal shock. Hopefully you get a filter before then, as you will probably resent the fish after about 5 days of water changes.

You will also need dechlorinator, as chlorine=bad news.

Without an air source (airpump with an airstone or most filters provide some aeration) they will likely not last very long at all.

dustin0
12-14-2009, 02:45 AM
Ok I've gained 2 goldfish. A common goldfish and a comet I think. They are currently in a 15 litre tank. I've been doing my research and I know this is too small. I wondered if I could possibly use a clear storage box as a fish tank either for short or long term until I can purchase a bigger one.

Also for the time being I have no filter, are my fish likely to die soon because of this? I've brought some plants for the tank apparently they help produce oxygen for them...

Please don't lecture me about being an irresponsible fish owner. I had these fish given to me and I'm doing everything possible to care for them. I've been browsing the internet for hours a day trying to research them! I'm sure there more hassle than any other pet! :p

Thanks for taking your time to read this, I really appreciate it! :)

My first fissh were a goldfish about 1in long comets I believe as well. It was housed in a 5gallon bucket outside temps ranged from 40F-90F (I had no idea) and no air pump no filter. Always overfed and they lived and in fact are still living with me today. Goldfish are hardy fish and have handled everything Ive thrown at them. I would do water changes every couple of days and try to get a larger tank and filter as soon as its possible for you.