PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Snails and Assorted Platies

Bellie816
12-12-2009, 08:23 PM
I have been asking some questions about what to stock in a cycled 10 gallon tank. I discussed liking guppies and tetras...but what about platies? I see various assorted platies at the store, and after researching them online discovered they are okay for a 10 gallon. Are they hardy fish? Our tank is in a medium traffic area of the house and I definitely don't want a type of fish that is very picky or fragile. Can they withstand the cycling process? I am going to test my tank tomorrow for nitrates, nitrites and such and see where I am at. But the tank is currently cycling still and I don't know about adding fish yet. I am also interested in the gold or black mystery snails. Are these okay for a 10 gallon? Are they compatible with platies, guppies or tetras? Do they absolutely need real plants or is fish food acceptable? How many snails could fit in a 10 gallon?

Sorry for all of the questions...just want to make sure everything is right before adding my fish. :)

Maestro
12-13-2009, 12:36 AM
...but what about platies?
Yes, Platies should be fine in a 10 gallon.

Are they hardy fish?
Yes, most livebearers are on the hardier side for community fish.

But the tank is currently cycling still and I don't know about adding fish yet.
Be patient, it takes on average a few weeks to cycle a tank. The cycling process is highly unstable with varying levels of toxicity, that will kill animals during the process, or severely shorten their life's capacity.

I am also interested in the gold or black mystery snails. Are these okay for a 10 gallon? Are they compatible with platies, guppies or tetras? Do they absolutely need real plants or is fish food acceptable? How many snails could fit in a 10 gallon?
Yes, mystery snails should be fine in a 10 gallon with the fish you are hoping to add. I feed mine algae waffers and bottom feeder pellets. They do produce quite a bit of waste and contribute to the bioload, so personally I would add only 1.

My answers are in blue.

Deleted User
12-13-2009, 12:41 AM
Once the tank is cycled, I think the platies and mystery snail will do well together. I also would recommend only 1 snail. In a 10g, you could keep some platies, a betta and the snail for a neat mix if you like bettas!

Bellie816
12-13-2009, 02:11 AM
Once the tank is cycled, I think the platies and mystery snail will do well together. I also would recommend only 1 snail. In a 10g, you could keep some platies, a betta and the snail for a neat mix if you like bettas!

That sounds like a neat combination. I was thinking about getting a betta..but wasn't sure because I have a filter and an aerator which creates a little bit of a current. I saw someone else's post talking about how bettas don't need filters and they get stuck to them sometimes. A few questions about that-
Is it still safe to have them?
Should I avoid certain types or colors of the platies so the betta won't attack?
Can they all eat the same food (like the tropical fish flakes) or do the bettas need the special betta food?
Would you recommend the tank being fully cycled before adding any of these fish?
And for the final question... would 3 platies, a male betta, and one snail be okay for the 10 gallon without being too crowded?

I appreciate everyone being patient and answering my questions. I am new to this and am the type of person that wants to get everything just right. Thanks for all of your help! :)

Bellie816
12-13-2009, 02:13 AM
By the way-- the waiting process for cycling is agonizing.. lol :hmm3grin2orange:

Deleted User
12-13-2009, 02:33 AM
The bettas I have are all in tanks with filters and have no problems. I've never had an airstone in the betta tanks but I know others have.

I've kept bettas w/ platies, glowlight tetras and corys w/o any problems except for one red betta.

When mine were in community tanks, I would feed tropical flakes and betta pellets. The bettas seem to spit out the flakes but know to look for their pellets.

I think that number of fish should be fine for the tank. Maybe even like 4 platys (3 female / 1 male or all of the same sex).

I know it's hard, but I'd wait until the tank is fully cycled before adding the fish, and then not all at once.

Good luck and have fun!

Wild Turkey
12-13-2009, 04:55 AM
Heres some info on the mystery snails (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=38661&highlight=mystery+snail+care) <--- link

If you can provide them with good conditions and diet, you can definitely add more than one IMO. They contribute to the bioload but no more than a fish of similar size, they just tend to produce ammonia in large spurts (right after they feed) because their digestive system and, well, they as a whole are very simple organisms so this must be accounted for in a tank with only apple snails that is pretty well stocked.

I have kept 50 or so mystery snails in a 20 gal with no problems as long as I stuck to a routine, and didnt overfeed them. However that is a form of controlled stocking, but a few snails in a ten gallon should be just fine.

Platies are fine in a ten gallon but its likely with such a small tank you will have to pick one or at the most two of your favorites. 6 neons 6 dwarf corys and 2 platies is the only stocking I can think of that would work with all three and thats very high bioload. Its probably best to start with less bioload and see if you feel comfortable doing those weekly WCs before you add those last few fish that may put you into the twice a week category.

I personally would do platies and the apple snails since they both prefer high ph, whereas the corys and tetras prefer low ph. Its much easier to raise ph (crushed coral and a cuttlefish bone for the apple snails is probably the easiest method).

You could go the complete other way and go with 6 tetras and 6-8 dwarf or panda corys in the tank with lots of wood or what have you. But in that case I would forgo the apple snails and rather save attempting them for the next project.

IMO Mystery snails are by far the hardest keep of the animals you are considering and its important to realize that before you make a decision. Most people find they are not worth it after they read up on the potential problems with this keep, or rush into them and experience them for themselves.

One final thing to note is the more you have the more likely you will have a female and male and breeding will occur. Refer to that article for what to do/not do about it.

Pele
12-13-2009, 05:08 AM
I saw someone else's post talking about how bettas don't need filters and they get stuck to them sometimes.
He's talking about me.
WEll, i've been told that apparently a fish will only get stuck to the filter (unless its a REALLY powerfull filter and a REALLy slow swimmer) only a dead or dying fish will get stuck

Northernguy
12-13-2009, 05:43 AM
I have dark mystery snails and gold apple snails.The dark snails do eat plants and are very giood at it.I have yet to see a golden apple snail eat a leaf or a needle.lol
They are great in a planted tank.

annageckos
12-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Platies and snails would be fine together. Make sure you add some type of calcium for the snails. If you do get a betta know that they are all different in their personaly. Some are calm some are crazy. Bettas should have a filter on thier tank, but like and need lower current. Because of their long fins they are not the best swimmers and can get tired out easily. If you get a betta make sure you have a spare tank incase it doesn't work out. I personaly have never had a problem with an aggressive betta in a community tank but it can and does happen, so just make sure you watch out. And def. make sure your tank is competely cycled before adding any fish. You will kill, torture and/or damage your fish if you put fish in before the cycle is complete. Also you may want to stick to one sex of platies, otherwise you will have a TON of babies, even with some being eaten. As far as colors and bettas, if you have a calmer fish it shouldn't matter, but if you get an aggressive fish, well it still shouldn't matter as he will still go after the other fish.

Good luck