PDA

View Full Version : Hope springs eternal

thrakuarium
12-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Last friday as i was feeding the bettas at work I noticed a female who was near motionless with clamped fins. She basically looked like a floating stick. I pulled the cup off the shelf to get a closer look and discovered the feeding hole wasn't open :scry: The poor thing hadn't gotten any food. I determined that she had no shot if she stayed there. So I removed (the polite term) her from the inventory after a discussion with another employee as a C.Y.A. move, and bought an approx 1 gallon critter keeper (my betta tanks are occupied) and some bettafix. I was worried if she would even eat and then if the rest of her organs were still functional as emaciated as she looked. I put 3 drops of bettafix in her cup until I could get her home after work. I stayed up until past 1 am until the water temps balanced so i could move her into the keeper. I had 9 drops of bettafix in that water. I actually got her to eat a little Sat morn, but i had to grind the flake until it was practically dust. She was still clamped up but at least it was a good step. She ate a few more times through Sunday. I decided pristine water conditions would be the best help so I changed her water again Monday morning and added only 5 drops of bettafix. When I put her in the new water I noticed her finnage had started to unclamp a bit and she had some body motion back in her swimming. Then it happened, A gnat landed on the end table and she about went through the container trying to get it :hmm3grin2orange: I managed to snag the gnat (its cold here and I dont use pesticides indoors so the gnat was safe) and i dropped it in the tank. She snapped it up and showed some "personality" for the first time. Its one week since she was a floating stick and she is now a happy betta in a decorated keeper. I guess I get to buy another "real" betta home now :hmm3grin2orange: I named her Hope ... thus the title.

Northernguy
12-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Thats a great story!Glad its going to be ok.
I have never seen female bettas in a cup before only males.
they are usually amongst other small fish like mollies or platies at the lfs.Every lfs I have been too.

Deleted User
12-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Great save!!! I'm happy she's okay!!! thumbs2:

rich311k
12-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Good job rescuing her!