PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of new 75 GL setup

JZ1276
04-19-2007, 07:06 AM
thanks to everyone who helped me out. He got pretty beat up from the move from the 29 GL to the 75 GL because I used a strainer to move him (didnt have a net, I'm an idiot) and he jumped out and ended up on the floor but he seems ok now. Here's a couple of pictures.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e390/jz1276/HPIM1023.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e390/jz1276/HPIM1024.jpg

TehTANK
04-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Very Nice!

cocoa_pleco
04-19-2007, 01:26 PM
nice!

You always need nets. lol

Lady Hobbs
04-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Looks good and the black background makes him "pop." Be glad you didn't have a full grown oscar and trying to move him without a net. LOL

Incredulous_Ed
04-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Awesome!!!

JZ1276
04-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the compliments. The black background is actually the wall behind the tank. Is the one air pump with the blue light enough air for the tank?

Chrona
04-20-2007, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the compliments. The black background is actually the wall behind the tank. Is the one air pump with the blue light enough air for the tank?

Yes, that should be enough. 75g tanks have a rather large footprint anyways, and that air pump looks like it's pumping out a STORM of bubbles, heh.

xoolooxunny
04-20-2007, 01:42 AM
Man, the more I chat with you guys and the more I see, the more I want an oscar, they seem so cool...

cocoa_pleco
04-20-2007, 02:24 AM
I want a oscar too, but one blood parrot in the 33g will hold me. apparently they do the cutsie beg for food dance and follow-the-owner thing too

JZ1276
04-20-2007, 05:53 AM
Yes, that should be enough. 75g tanks have a rather large footprint anyways, and that air pump looks like it's pumping out a STORM of bubbles, heh.

it does pump out a storm of bubbles...thing is, they are so small, and so many of them it almost makes my tank look cloudy. I was going to get another one to place on the opposite side but between the 2 of them there will be way too many bubbles.

Chrona
04-20-2007, 06:30 AM
it does pump out a storm of bubbles...thing is, they are so small, and so many of them it almost makes my tank look cloudy. I was going to get another one to place on the opposite side but between the 2 of them there will be way too many bubbles.

Small is better, since you get a longer dissolve time as it floats up slower. As long as it doesn't bother you too much (aesthetically) just keep it.

crackatinny
04-20-2007, 08:39 AM
Man, the more I chat with you guys and the more I see, the more I want an oscar, they seem so cool...

I never wanted one untill my wife did, and bought one, they are awesome, and really seem to have a personality. If we walk past the tank, ours will come up to the glass and follow untill we scratch at the tank like we are giving him a pat.

crackatinny
04-20-2007, 09:10 AM
That is a nice looking oscar:thumb:, mine is also an albino, but no stripes.

2manyfish
04-21-2007, 02:49 AM
Nice tank and I especially like your oscar!!! :malelovies:

I'm not a fan of microbubbles, like you said, they make the tank look too cloudy. Why not get a bubble wand instead? If you get the wand, buy a valve for your tubing so you can regulate the amount of bubbles you get. I've got an oscar too and mine loves swimming through his curtain of bubbles.....

cocoa_pleco
04-21-2007, 02:52 AM
my old albino i raised was really friendly. he loved to be around people and other fish. He lived in a community tank with fish as small as neons, and never harmed anything but his pellets

Fishguy2727
04-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Small bubbles allow more oxygen to be dissolved as the bubbles rise through the water. Larger bubbles move more water though, moving more water to the surface for oxygenation there. I am not sure which is better though. I would think small bubbles. I am using two 6" Rena ceramic micro-bubblers on my 75 gallon koi tank and it seems to work really well.

Are there rosies in there for him to eat? If so, will he take pellets? If so that would be all I would give him. I have gotten the best growth, colors, and health when they are fed nothing but pellets. I would go with Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold+ and NLS. He may be doing fine now, colorful, healthy, and growing. But all these will probably be even better on the diet described.

JZ1276
04-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Small bubbles allow more oxygen to be dissolved as the bubbles rise through the water. Larger bubbles move more water though, moving more water to the surface for oxygenation there. I am not sure which is better though. I would think small bubbles. I am using two 6" Rena ceramic micro-bubblers on my 75 gallon koi tank and it seems to work really well.

Are there rosies in there for him to eat? If so, will he take pellets? If so that would be all I would give him. I have gotten the best growth, colors, and health when they are fed nothing but pellets. I would go with Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold+ and NLS. He may be doing fine now, colorful, healthy, and growing. But all these will probably be even better on the diet described.

i dont know what rosies are, but i've been feeding him the same Tetra floating cichlid sticks since he was a baby. Seems to like them since a feed him a small amount 3-4 times daily.

JZ1276
04-21-2007, 10:50 PM
my old albino i raised was really friendly. he loved to be around people and other fish. He lived in a community tank with fish as small as neons, and never harmed anything but his pellets

wow i can put 10 minnows in my tank and hell eat them all within a couple of minutes (i feed him live maybe once a month). If i put my arm in the tank for any reason he'll bite it also.

Rue
04-21-2007, 10:52 PM
...rosies are the rosy red minnows...variety of fathead used mostly as feeders...but many are kept as tank fish in their own right...

Fishguy2727
04-22-2007, 12:45 AM
I would cut out the live foods completely and upgrade to New Life Spectrum and/or Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold+. He will be better for it. Won't be as much waste in the tank either.

2manyfish
04-22-2007, 02:01 AM
Surface agitation is where most of your oxygen exchange takes place so the more surface agitation you have, the higher your oxygen levels will be. Good surface agitation will also help to blow off excess CO2 which in turn can help to keep your pH stable.

And yeah, I'd discontinue the live fish feeders too. Like Reptileguy suggested, Hikari makes some really good pellets, the Gold and the Cichlid Staple. Live fish can carry disease which your O can get. If you decide you want to feed him live foods as a treat then you can get live crickets, ghost shrimp, or earthworms. O's love them!! But these should be treats only, not your oscars' main diet.

Fishguy2727
04-22-2007, 02:28 PM
The only food I would feed besides NLS is Hikari Bio-Gold+, not the gold or the staple.

Oxygenation takes place at any water-air interface. Fine bubbles provide a lot of this. So, very fine bubbles allow for a lot of oxygentation as well as large bubbles moving water to the surface. The exchange takes place very quickly, so those fine bubbles are bringing in a lot of oxygen to the water.

Juannie
05-14-2007, 02:27 AM
I took reptileguy's advice and have my oscar "Red" on Hikari Cichlid Bio Gold, his HITH hasn't worsened and he jumps out of the water some days (sometimes too much) and I don't have anywhere near as much waste - even my pleco loves the pellets as well. I'm now going to try him on NLS as he's particularly fussy, but it's definitely worth buying good quality foods.

salman
07-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Why do you have an oscar with smaller fish in the same tank? Oscars will eat anything that fits in their mouth. Or are they her babys?