PDA

View Full Version : Costia and Trichodina gill treatment - Grass Carp

FishfarmerDave
04-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Can anyonre please tell me the concentration and duration for treating Costia and Trichodina in the gills of Grass Carp. I intend treating with Chloramine T followed by formaline.

I am a trout man and know how to control these parasites at 'normal' temperatures and with flow-through systems but the grass carp are in a 2meter tank at about 18C and with only minimal water replacement. (4-6 changes per day). I can lower the tank by half but the incoming water is 5C so flushing would cause a considerable stress.

The grass carp are 4 - 6 inches long and have stopped feeding.

I would starve for 24hrs (although they are not feeding)
Treat with Chlor T at 4ppm for 1/2hour on day one to remove mucus
Treat with 1ml in 5l (40%)formaline for 1/2 hour to kill the parasies.

I am concerned about the residual concentration of formaline causing burning of the gills.

Anyone any advice?

Dave

William
04-14-2006, 08:52 PM
I am not that experienced in treating coldwater fish but I think the best thing is to lower the doasage you would normally use and prolong the the period over which you are treating the fish.

Hopefully someone else can be of more help.

DemonShark
04-15-2006, 12:38 AM
I did own large quitnes of coldwater fish and would like to help but here your confusing me what exacly wrong is with the fish

tell me whats it looks like give pics if you can

ps:some coldwater fish might react better to a warmer climate and help heal more quicly Im not sure with the Grass carp tho never had it tho did have other carp

FishfarmerDave
04-16-2006, 02:22 AM
I think you guys may be a bit confused. I know how to treat cold water fish. They are easy. These are at 18 Centigrade. My difficulty was how much formaline to use since I cannot flush it away. The incoming water is 5 Centigrade.

I wondered if anyone had treated large volumes with formaline before and how they did it.

I am probably going to treat at a minimum volume. Lower as much as possible after treatment and top up from a preheated water tank next door but any further suggestions would be welcome.

Dave

FishfarmerDave
04-18-2006, 09:08 AM
Well guys I tried it.

For future reference it does not work. Well, it does but it kills the carp as well!!

Dave