PDA

View Full Version : How to raise discus

cyane
04-18-2007, 05:58 PM
hello there,
i was wondering if it is easy to keep discus fish?? what are the requriements?? what type of fish can they be keept with?? i found some that i want that i have to order online. the fish is called "the red dragon" and it only grows to "2" inches. how many of this kind can i put in my 55 gallon tank?? i'll be moveing soon so i probably wont be getting them right away. i will be waiting untill i get settled into my new place, before i order them. any advice on what to do and not what to do would be really helpfull. i was also going to order the discus from somethingsphishy.com. or does anyone knw where i can get discus here in st.paul, minnesota?? iim just trying to gt all the information before i get the fish that way i know what to do when i get the fish. thank you.

kelly

Chrona
04-18-2007, 06:00 PM
hello there,
i was wondering if it is easy to keep discus fish?? what are the requriements?? what type of fish can they be keept with?? i found some that i want that i have to order online. the fish is called "the red dragon" and it only grows to "2" inches. how many of this kind can i put in my 55 gallon tank?? i'll be moveing soon so i probably wont be getting them right away. i will be waiting untill i get settled into my new place, before i order them. any advice on what to do and not what to do would be really helpfull. i was also going to order the discus from somethingsphishy.com. or does anyone knw where i can get discus here in st.paul, minnesota?? iim just trying to gt all the information before i get the fish that way i know what to do when i get the fish. thank you.

kelly

If you are going to get discus, shell out the money for adult discus. Juveniles require constant feeding and very frequent water changes so as to not stunt their growth. Other than that, discus basically just like very clean, soft, acidic water.

cyane
04-18-2007, 06:04 PM
i found this website on this site and others. its called somethingsphishy.com
they sell small discus there too. from what the pictures say, "2" inches and they dont get no biger. at least i dont think they do. but they got real pretty ones. some for like 20.00dollars, which have some pretty colors. take a look and let me know how it goes.

Lady Hobbs
04-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Discus are one of the most delicate of fish and not a newbie fish. They must have perfect water conditions, high temp, low pH and soft water to survive. Big water changes are always needed for them and often.

For the price of this fish, get some experience under your belt or you will be out a lot of money.

Discus are social fish........they want several of their own to keep them company and are best left to a tank just for themselves because they have such delicate water conditions. Most others can't do well in the water temps required by discus. Discus tanks should be planted.

cyane
04-18-2007, 06:12 PM
the website say they only get to be "2" inches high n length wise. the red dragon that i want is about $39.95 if i remember properly. they have cheaper ones.

Chrona
04-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Discus get to be about 6-10 inches in diameter. 2 inches is the height they sell you them at.

Lady Hobbs
04-18-2007, 06:16 PM
They are sold at 2 inches. They can grow to 8 inches.

Lady Hobbs
04-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Minimum Tank Size: 50 gallons
Care Level: Moderate
Tank Conditions: 79-86°F; pH 6.1-7.5; KH 1-3
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 8"
Color Form: Bright Red, Yellow
Temperament: Peaceful
Diet: Carnivore
Compatibility: View Chart (http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/fwcompatibility_chart.cfm)
Origin: Malaysia, Tank Bred
Family: Cichlidae

You need to read about fish before thinking of getting them. The 50 gallon tank size listed in this chart is not talking about several discus which is how they like to live.

The other thread on Discus gives much of this same information.

cyane
04-18-2007, 10:51 PM
and i have taken alot of thought into getting them before i get them. and i checked the price and they only cost 29.99. and im not a newbe on takeing care of fish, ive done it for awhile now, and im pretty experenced at it. and i wanna try seeing if i can have a discus.

Chrona
04-18-2007, 11:11 PM
and i have taken alot of thought into getting them before i get them. and i checked the price and they only cost 29.99. and im not a newbe on takeing care of fish, ive done it for awhile now, and im pretty experenced at it. and i wanna try seeing if i can have a discus.

Yep, a 55g will work fine for a pair. Since they are juveniles, you should be doing 3-4 small feedings per day, and weekly (if not twice a week) 50% water changes.

Lady Hobbs
04-19-2007, 12:02 AM

Then go for it. You were asking the question. We were just answering them.

cyane
04-19-2007, 04:52 PM
thank you chrona.
at least you think it might be possible to for me to keep them. do you really think they would get bigger then '2' inches?? and what other fish could i put with them??

Chrona
04-19-2007, 04:55 PM
thank you chrona.
at least you think it might be possible to for me to keep them. do you really think they would get bigger then '2' inches?? and what other fish could i put with them??

I guarantee you they will get to at least 4-5 inches unless you neglect weekly/twice a week water changes and their growth is stunted. Normal healthy size is like 6 inches or so. There are some sold that have been specially raised and fed and are 10 inches. Discus should be kept with small schooling species like small tetras and cories or something. Rummynose tetras are an expecially good choice because their noses gives you an indication of water quality. Bright nose means good, whereas faded nose means you should check the water asap.

cyane
04-19-2007, 05:07 PM
couls i put guppies with the discus?? and my tank is a 55 gallon long tank. would that still work to put discus in, n i would like to get 4 of them in stead of 2. what do you think??

Chrona
04-19-2007, 05:25 PM
couls i put guppies with the discus?? and my tank is a 55 gallon long tank. would that still work to put discus in, n i would like to get 4 of them in stead of 2. what do you think??

Discus need soft acidic water. Guppies (and all livebearers) prefer harder, alkaline water.

Btw, what is your tap water like? If you have hard well water, I would suggest an reverse osmosis filter.

Lady Hobbs
04-19-2007, 07:22 PM
Discus also need temps of 84 degrees, Chrona. This is too warm for some of your suggestions.

They also need groups of 6 at least.

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/10discus.htm This site mentions the runnynose tetra as "possible" tank mates, as well.

I'm not saying that one or two discus can't live in a 55 gallon tank. One or two tetra's can live together, as well. But living in the way they want to live, which is with several of their own, in a brackish tank that's fully planted is what will give them a healthy life to their liking. Social fish do not do well without several of their own.

gm72
04-23-2007, 01:28 AM
Lady Hobbs has it, once again, correct. She, as well as others (myself included) prefer to take into account the happiness of the fish as well as the tank conditions and complexities. Schooling fish and social fish should be kept with others as such.

Chrona
04-23-2007, 02:36 AM
Discus also need temps of 84 degrees, Chrona. This is too warm for some of your suggestions.

They also need groups of 6 at least.

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/10discus.htm This site mentions the runnynose tetra as "possible" tank mates, as well.

I'm not saying that one or two discus can't live in a 55 gallon tank. One or two tetra's can live together, as well. But living in the way they want to live, which is with several of their own, in a brackish tank that's fully planted is what will give them a healthy life to their liking. Social fish do not do well without several of their own.

Eh, from what I've read, rummynose tetras are often kept with discus because their nose gives a clear indication of water quality. As for cardinal tetras, I know they show no signs of stress in prolonged high temperatures as long as the change is slow, and their red stripe is also a good indication of water quality. if you'll notice, what I said earlier matches pretty much exactly with that link ;)

Discus are either kept in 6 or more or in a pair. The concern is not a social issue, it's that if you have an two discus, they can only pick on each other. If you have 3 discus, two often gang up on one and bully it to death. If you have 6 or more though, the aggression spreads around enough so that everyone is fine. If you have only one, then yes, it gets lonely. Discus do form a nuclear family, but the aggression is the main reason behind the number of discus I believe. Social is not the same thing as schooling fish. Schooling requires a small group of 6+. Shoaling (ie clown loach) prefer a smaller group (3+). Social just means there has to be at least one other fish of the same type in the tank. Obviously, more (6+) discus is ideal, but you need to have a pretty large tank for all of them as they eat (and poop) a lot. The same logic applies to any schooling fish. Of course neons would be happier in a school of 50, but not everyone can get a tank to hold that many. So a more realistic number is set, (6), at which point the fish exhibit solid schooling behaviour.

Discus are freshwater

Lady Hobbs
04-23-2007, 05:23 AM
I am quite aware of the difference between skoaling fish and social fish. And yes, a person can take a couple discus and toss them in a community tank filled with other species. I did not claim they could not. I was pointing out their social issues and the way they live the happiest.....in a brackish tank that is heavily planted with several of their own.

You could toss in one tetra, one clown loach, one molly, one guppy, and one silver dollar, as well, but would any of them be happy and live up to their potential and exhibit their true personalities? I think not and I do think the social issues around any fish we buy should be considered just as we consider the kind of substract each kind does best in, water conditions, decorations and everything else.

Due to the fact that the original poster thought she could buy a discus for $5 (in another thread) and that they only grow to 2 inches tells me she needs to read up on them further before wasting a lot of her money and not being happy with the money she has spent or the loss of her fish because she did not have enough knowledge about them.

Chrona
04-23-2007, 05:35 AM
Discus are freshwater, dunno why you keep saying brackish :P

My point was though, that keeping a large group is ideal, but not possible for many people, so a pair can do fine, just as 5-6 cardinal tetras will do fine (even though the ideal would be some massive school of them). Because discus are social and not schooling fish, they don't need a large a group as the schoolers to display their normal behaviour. The 1 tetra/cory, etc comparison isn't really fair because of this imo.

I agree that the OP needed to do some more research on the fish though.

Lady Hobbs
04-23-2007, 07:10 AM
What the OP really could do to learn more is join Discus.com which is what I did when trying to learn more about them. They're just too expensive to jump in there blind. I thought, also, of having them in my 55 gallon but the experts and breeders there threw a wrench in that plan and now I'm glad they did.

I also thought I could get several colors but that was also tossed out. If they are breed, the snake skin should only be breed with the snake skin, reds with the reds and blues with the blues, etc. Once you've bred two different colors you've screwed with the genetics of them and they are no longer profitable and only good as personal pets.

I should change my wording of Brackish to Amazon tanks.

If anyone wants to read about Discus this site is awesome and the pictures of Discus are to die for!
http://rockymountaindiscus.com/Default.htm

Fishguy2727
04-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Brackish is part saltwater and part freshwater, the way the water would be in an estuary. That is the opposite of what the discus want, a soft water and low pH.

Discus are no longer as bad as they used to be. The best ones to get (the hardiest) are assorted discus at the LFS. These are not wild caught, which are very sensitive, and they are not high end ones, whcih are also very sensitive. They are bred for numbers but still have amazing colors on them. Good tankmates include cories, schooling tetras, and small algae eaters such as ottos and bristlenose plecos. Some tetras will be stressed at the high temps, and even bristlenose plecos may suck on the discus (mien never has), so you still need to be careful.

Lady Hobbs
04-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks, rep. My wording of brackish was incorrect. Should have used "brownish" such as the Amazon River has from tannins. But like all the fish from fish farms, it's doubtful they get the conditions they get in the wild.

Working where you do, you sure have a good place for selling back fry! That's gotta be a big plus.

Fishguy2727
04-23-2007, 07:22 PM
On the size to buy, you do not need to buy adults. In fact, don't waste your money on them. All of the ones I have ever seen in LFSs are big enough to go on a normal feeding schedule. Fry need lots of feedings, but by the time they are big enough to sell to the LFS or to wholesellers, they are past that stage. Try to get them at about 2-2.5". This way you have an idea of their colors, they are big enough so you know they are off to a good start, but you don't have to pay tons of money because the breeder held on to them until they were adults (or done breeding). Younger individuals usually transport better.With a lot of animals, well established adults can be very stressed by being transported.

You are thinking of blackwater conditions.