PDA

View Full Version : Question About Water Conditioners

Deleted User
12-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Hi, Folks --

I've been wondering about something...

Right now, I'm not actually using any water conditioner. Our fish do fine without it (good, deep well water). However, I have used and have on hand both AquaSafe and Prime.

My question is this:

Most people here have said when you do condition the water in the tank, add enough for the entire volume of the tank -- not just for the new water. So if you have a 55 gallon tank and are only replacing 15 gallons of water, you'd still treat for 55 gallons according to what most have recommended.

I was told here awhile ago that Prime can be toxic if you are approaching double dosage on it. Is this so? And if it is, what about the residual amounts in the tank from prior changes?

I'm curious to hear. Since our fish do equally as well w/o any conditioner, I don't know that I'd start using one again but I've wondered about the effect of residual water conditioner in the tank -- won't that build up to high levels over time? Or does it some how dissipate over time?

Thanks,
Jill

Northernguy
12-09-2009, 02:00 PM
I overdose with aqua clear on every w/c, close to double dose.
I have not noticed any ill effects in my tanks yet.
Not sure about prime as it is more concentrated.

rich311k
12-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Prime is not toxic that I know of. The bottle recommends doulbe or even triple dosing when dealing with ammonia and nitrites. I dump some in when I refill I don't really measure it, it is more than the minmum amount though for the whole tank volume.

wynnEZ
12-09-2009, 03:46 PM
I agree wth everyone, I always double dose usually, it wont hurt.

Rue
12-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Well, for what it's worth...I only treat the new water I add, I don't double dose. Conditioner is a chemical...I don't see the point in abusing it...who knows what that can do over time...

Never mind the expense of using it when it's not necessary...

But when I had the goldfish out the one summer (in a horse trough because our house was so hot) I only had them in our tannin-rich well water...no conditioners...and they survived the summer without issue from what I could tell...

Red
12-09-2009, 04:19 PM
I agree with rich, I just kind of "eye it" going in the tank. I wouldn't do it with prime though, as I seen a bottle dumped in a tank, lowers the PH below 5.0. So I would just single dose, since you have well water. It depends, if your using a python, I would treat the whole tank, since the water is going directly in the tank, if your using buckets, just treat it when its still in bucket form.

Wild Turkey
12-09-2009, 04:54 PM
I use a little more than what is recommended for the water im replacing, but usually not approaching a double dose. I use a syringe so I can measure the ml easily but not waste time measuring an amount for each tank, or waste the dechlor itself by just way overdoing it instead of measuring. Im a cheapskate lol

I think we still havent answered hobbs old query of "if i add extra dechlor, does it stay in there until I add more tap water to the mix?" I think that question needs to be answered before we can say one way or another as it would greatly effect the amount of dechlor present or not present in the system at any given time. (Example, 2x a regular dose over 15 waterchanges would be roughly 15x "too much" if it is toxic and stays present)

Deleted User
12-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks to everyone who has chimed in.

I use a little more than what is recommended for the water im replacing, but usually not approaching a double dose. I use a syringe so I can measure the ml easily but not waste time measuring an amount for each tank, or waste the dechlor itself by just way overdoing it instead of measuring. Im a cheapskate lol

I think we still havent answered hobbs old query of "if i add extra dechlor, does it stay in there until I add more tap water to the mix?" I think that question needs to be answered before we can say one way or another as it would greatly effect the amount of dechlor present or not present in the system at any given time. (Example, 2x a regular dose over 15 waterchanges would be roughly 15x "too much" if it is toxic and stays present)

WT, I also used syringes when I was dosing water conditioner and if I need to dose meds. I have hundreds of syringes... They make it very easy to put in exactly how much of whatever you want to put in.

And, yes, that last part gets to the heart of my question. I personally don't need to use a water conditioner, but am curious how the advice that's been widely held out previously (dose for the entire tank) would / could effect things in a particular tank over time.

rich311k
12-09-2009, 05:09 PM
I just sent Seachem an email. Curious if they will answer or not.

Deleted User
12-09-2009, 05:12 PM
WTG, Rich!!! It will be very interesting to hear what they say thumbs2:

Algenco
12-09-2009, 05:12 PM
I just sent Seachem an email. Curious if they will answer or not.

I'm betting they will

rich311k
12-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Here is the answer. Seems like you would have to add a lot to cause a problem.

Hello,

Thank you for the email. Yes, when grossly overdosed, Prime can cause harm to your fish. It is a reducing agent (as most water conditioners are); therefore, if it is overdosed and there is nothing "bad" (chlorine, chloramine, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, heavy metals) for it to bind to, it can bind to oxygen in the water. This would result in your fish gasping at the surface of the water, trying to get air. Prime will not affect the pH of the water. As instructed on the label: "For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose." Anything more than that may be able to cause harm to your fish. Prime will remain in the tank for 24 to 48 hours after dosing; after that amount of time, it will dissipate from the tank. If you would like to read more information, here is the link to the Prime product web page:

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html

We hope that this information helps; please let us know if you need any further assistance. Have a great day!

Thank you,

Tech Support 1076

Taurus
12-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Well done Rich and very informative.

Wild Turkey
12-09-2009, 05:46 PM
GJ rich, much more info than we got from them last time I believe.

Seems like maybe they have had some other injuries on the subject since then.

Deleted User
12-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Great job, Rich!!! Thank you for helping with my question and sharing that valuable information with all of us.

The response really makes sense to me, and confirms honestly my gut feeling and that is that my fish do better w/o any conditioner. I never realized with nothing "bad" for it to bind to, it could bind to the oxygen. Now I know and it explains a few things to me as well.

Great job going the extra mile for us all thumbs2:

dustin0
12-09-2009, 09:05 PM
I generally do a little poor after every WC but thanks Rich for the info I dont use prime (tad bit expensive here) but good to keep in mind. Sure it works the same for all water conditioners

Cath
12-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Hi all
That was a really interesting thread I am quite new to tanks although I do have a pond and have always conditioned the water I never realised it helped with ammonia and nitrites.
I have only been a member a few days but have really enjoyed reading the info, I have also been looking at some of your profiles seems theres not many of us from England, not being nosey just curious.
Thanks Cath

rhonin
12-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Prime will remain in the tank for 24 to 48 hours after dosing; after that amount of time, it will dissipate from the tank.

I like the fact it does not hang around long.

As I test my tanks before there scheduled water change, that gives me a good general idea if i need to add additional or just for the water change (started using Prime when local water switched from well to processed).

Knowing this, looks like I don't have to be so "exact" on my measurements.

Sweet!!

thumbs2:

i_am_511
12-10-2009, 04:33 AM
When yall are talking about not using water treatment what about the chlorine in the tap water?

Wild Turkey
12-10-2009, 09:20 AM
When yall are talking about not using water treatment what about the chlorine in the tap water?

Some of our users have well water which does not contain chlorine

Deleted User
12-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Wild Turkey is right. I have well water from a really deep well drilled down through the rock. What we have here is pretty much like spring water.